Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Once hot but now are not??10587

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Wasn't Harley Quinn in the cartoon first? Maybe that's the exception that proves the rule. Or maybe cartoons are different than live-action, being closer to a comic book already?

Yes, she has an odd history. She was created for Batman the Animated Series, then showed up in Comic form later, but that was outside of canon, and eventually made it to the mainstream.

You can take Harlequin back to the sixties as the precursor of the character, Jokers Daughter, and a card carrying member of the original teen titans series...which then evolved into the more modern incarnation as a love interest and so forth

Ha! Funny about that one - I had some of those old Teen Titans from the 70's with Harlequin / Joker's Daughter. So, YEARS later, when I was out of comics and just happened to see, in a bookstore one day, that Alex Ross Harley Quinn cover, I was pretty shocked. "Damn!" I thought. "I know Joker is evil and all, but that's pretty fricking risque, posing with his own daughter like that."

Post 76 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied
I remember a buddy and I driving all over the city looking for every comic with Keith Giffen art. Really hot at the time. But that was 38 years ago. Still have 20 copies of Omega Men # 1 if anybody is interested. Cheap.

I too remember pursuing work purely based on the hot artist or writer. John Byrne, Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Giffen, etc. Seems that stuff also reaches a price ceiling pretty quickly unless you go back past the 80's (I noticed the other day that MCS is generally sold out of early Steranko covers but has plenty of copies of the surrounding issues).

Heh ... you remember back when Amazing Spider-Man #298 was the collectible one, and NOT #300? That, because it was the first McFarlane issue? I was so shocked, just a few years ago, when I found out #300 is a ~$1000 book. Soooooo many copies of that issue were sold. It was HUGE. And cheap.
Post 77 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
I could be wrong but maybe if the guy who created them had a statement on them then the value slide wouldn't have happened. I doubt it though
I mean the series creator did say a little bit about it but his word didn’t exactly settle anything as far as printings or print runs as they were likely throwaway promotional/advertisement items without all the considerations that would go with producing a comic book

If it wasn't clarified then the world will never know the truth around what was first, and what if anything was counterfeit. Too bad that no one had the foresight to show up at one of Justin Roiland/Dan Harmon signings with a cell phone and all the different copies of the book. They could have captured their answers about them.
I think it was Justin Roiland that had made a comment on it. The point was that even as the series creator he’s not privy to the variations, print runs, and number of printings of what was basically a throw-away insert for the dvd
Post 78 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Umbrella Academy - looks like this has really cooled - maybe a tick up again when new season comes out??
Post 79 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 80 IP   flag post

Post 81 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito

Loved this. Thought for sure it would be developed into something.
Post 82 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Blondie's last album, Pollinator, was one of their best to date. Long Time is an excellent song:

I love Blondie, had to pick up the vinyl after watching the video

Cheers
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@the420bandito

You can still get great deals on raw copies of Batman Family #6. I think that is an undervalued book.

If I was involved in the crap Batwoman TV show I'd try and get DC to allow Duela Dent to become the major bad person in the second season. Well, if the show makes it that far. That way you get a Joker without it messing with the Joker in any other project.
Post 84 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This is the list that burned me. Every title. Gonna sit on them until Armageddon.

Chew
Watchmen "The Button" Storyline with Batman/Flash
Kick Ass
Kingsmen
Redneck
Outlast
Oblivion Song
Babyteeth
God Country
Walking Dead
Long Lost
Gideon Falls
Spider Gwen
Gen 13
Rags
Preacher
The Old Guard
Teen Titans 20
The Rift
Pretty Deadly
Noami
DCeased
The Dark Age
Jennifer Blood
Post 85 IP   flag post
Also, who was hot then but not now?

Lindsay Lohan
Meg Ryan
Demi Moore
Heidi Montag
Jennifer Grey
Priscilla Presley
Shanna Moakler
Blake Lively
Goldie Hawn
Post 86 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
In the 90s collector's were hunting first silver age appearances of golden age characters. Books like showcase 55 and green lantern 40 were chased after. Kind of cold now.
Post 87 IP   flag post
@southerncross hey!!! Showcase 55 is still on my list!!!
Post 88 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I was in Australia and my local comic shop brought back short boxes of silver age. That was in the early 90s and they had a showcase 55 in VG. I bought it. And I'm sure the book has not increased in value to this day.
Post 89 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@the420bandito

You can still get great deals on raw copies of Batman Family #6. I think that is an undervalued book.

If I was involved in the crap Batwoman TV show I'd try and get DC to allow Duela Dent to become the major bad person in the second season. Well, if the show makes it that far. That way you get a Joker without it messing with the Joker in any other project.

I watched batwoman for the first time last week, it suuuuuked! Apologies to the folks that like it
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
This is the list that burned me. Every title. Gonna sit on them until Armageddon.

Pretty Deadly

wtf happened to this book. Incredible art...weird story but wtf...should have been HUGE. meh what do I know.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
@KatKomics I was in Australia and my local comic shop brought back short boxes of silver age. That was in the early 90s and they had a showcase 55 in VG. I bought it. And I'm sure the book has not increased in value to this day.
MCS has a copy on consignment that is VG 4.0 that is listed at 80...and a VG+ at 89 then a VG- at 49.95
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
MCS has a copy on consignment that is VG 4.0 that is listed at 80...and a VG+ at 89 then a VG- at 49.95

I paid $45 Aussie back then. Conversion at the time say $60 U.S add in inflation maybe I broke even 🤪
Vintage books in Australia prior to the internet were hard to come by back then
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
the Marvels mini series comes to mind.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
the Marvels mini series comes to mind.

That's an old school one there.

I guess you could throw in the Ultimate Line, too. Those were huge in the early aughts.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Chew
Watchmen "The Button" Storyline with Batman/Flash
Kick Ass
Kingsmen
Redneck
Outlast
Oblivion Song
Babyteeth
God Country
Walking Dead
Long Lost
Gideon Falls
Spider Gwen
Gen 13
Rags
Preacher
The Old Guard
Teen Titans 20
The Rift
Pretty Deadly
Noami
DCeased
The Dark Age
Jennifer Blood

I forgot about Rags until you mentioned it.
Post 96 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
My memory escapes me, but isn't there a significant amount of major characters that were different "colors" that have fallen flat on their face also?
Example: Red Goblin

Also, daughters, sons, cousins, fathers, mothers of major characters. Let's not forget Amalgam characters (although I did see Spider-Gwen in the list). These were all hot at one time and being pumped. How many of them have held the test of time (time being a lousy year or two}? 10%? 5%?

Lazy creativity does not hold up. I was, however, jonesing for a Dead-Gwen amalgam. Unfortunately that never happened
Post 97 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I paid $45 Aussie back then. Conversion at the time say $60 U.S add in inflation maybe I broke even 🤪
Vintage books in Australia prior to the internet were hard to come by back then

I buy Showcase 55 and 56. Just a hunch really that both will have a window of opportunity in the future. 56 is much cheaper to come by, but both seem fairly uncommon in high grade. Since joining the forum this year I paid MCS something like $325 for a CGC 7.5 of 55. I'm actually partial to Showcase 56, but that's not a popular opinion.
Post 98 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller I liked the 55. Isn't that the first silver age appearance of both Dr Fate and Solomon Grundy ?
Post 99 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@EbaySeller I liked the 55. Isn't that the first silver age appearance of both Dr Fate and Solomon Grundy ?

My CGC label only credits 1st Solomon Grundy. Origins of Dr. Fate and Hourman, 1st solo Golden Age G.L.in Silver Age. 56 is 1st Silver Age Psycho Pirate...which apparently is a different character than the Golden Age version:

I just like that Golden Age looking costume as well as the name "Psycho Pirate". I have this one nice copy and 3-4 between 4.0 and 5.0.
Post 100 IP   flag post
If memory serves Dr date first appeared in the silver age in like issue 21 or so of Justice league
Post 101 IP   flag post
Thanks. Been 15 years since I read my book.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Just my opinion but I would not write Spider Gwen off for a second...Sony gave her a full role in the spider verse movie, and you can bet heavily she will be featured in any sequels given her popularity especially among women .

Sony also stated they intend to explore the concept of an entire spider web universe, perhaps having a stand alone with nothing but spider female characters. I like her chances here...
Post 103 IP   flag post
I was referring to the solo titled series "Spider Gwen", did pretty badly and the story was terrible.

Ghost Spider is interesting, but same thing, the title itself falls short of the concept.
Post 104 IP   flag post
What ever happened to the Atlas/Seaboard books??

Everyone went crazy and I see tons of 9+ graded issues but no buyers!!

Still lots of raw copies in NM for less than $20!
Post 105 IP   flag post
601466 116 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?