Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Once hot but now are not??10587

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Iron Man 55
Fantastic Four 45
Post 26 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

Also, back to the O.P., Shazam! #1 has a pretty significant glut right now. I think the $1000 9.8 days are over for a long while.

Wasn't Shazam #1 a heavily speculated book when it came out?

Huh ... I have no idea. It was before my time (by just a little bit). At least the comic was ... I did watch the TV show when it was playing.
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Pamela Anderson.
Cindy Lauper.
Deborah Harry.
Brigitte Bardot.

I cant say much for Bardot, before my time but

Cindy Lauper has been a leading crusder in representing LGBT rights and causes and has been give quite a few awards for that work...shes currently worth 30 million..not bad by most standards

Deborah Harry....worth 20 million today and perhaps one of the most iconic singers of the eighties...but she is still quite relevant because, if you did not realize...

She invented the cinematic look utilized for our beloved Harley Quinn.....in her her early "Blondie" days...she might have cooled down but shes also been immortalized.

Pamela Anderson is or has been linked to Julian Assange? (Sp) the founder of wiki leaks if I remember right...once he holed up in an embassy for fear of arrest, its been Pamela visiting him, championing his cause and providing him support...odd role for the once mighty Baywatch star

Blondie's last album, Pollinator, was one of their best to date. Long Time is an excellent song:

Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I think it can be easy to get fooled from September to January. I wouldn't give up on much of anything until Star Wars hits the theaters and we start to see trailers for the upcoming movies. I think Enthusiasm peaked in the summer and we're in a lull right now.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Pamela Anderson.
Cindy Lauper.
Deborah Harry.
Brigitte Bardot.

I cant say much for Bardot, before my time but

Cindy Lauper has been a leading crusder in representing LGBT rights and causes and has been give quite a few awards for that work...shes currently worth 30 million..not bad by most standards

Deborah Harry....worth 20 million today and perhaps one of the most iconic singers of the eighties...but she is still quite relevant because, if you did not realize...

She invented the cinematic look utilized for our beloved Harley Quinn.....in her her early "Blondie" days...she might have cooled down but shes also been immortalized.

Pamela Anderson is or has been linked to Julian Assange? (Sp) the founder of wiki leaks if I remember right...once he holed up in an embassy for fear of arrest, its been Pamela visiting him, championing his cause and providing him support...odd role for the once mighty Baywatch star

Wow just wow!! Hands down Deborah wore it better - that Clown chick for me just ruins a scene
I am perpetually amazed how cyclical some things are...Deborah coined her look early on in her "Blondie" persona days, perhaps even as far back as the late seventies, and yet a few years ago at Halloween, half the girls out there went out dressed up like she did back then not even aware of who created the look first
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:

Also, back to the O.P., Shazam! #1 has a pretty significant glut right now. I think the $1000 9.8 days are over for a long while.

Wasn't Shazam #1 a heavily speculated book when it came out?
It was for sure, some people were buying dozens of them....
Post 31 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Things will continue to perpetuate in an endless loop. It seems like all the original thoughts and ideas are all used up and all we have left are remakes whether it be music, films, etc... it's all a rehash.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte - I know I sound like my parents used to sound, but I wish the current “music” would quickly cycle away and never return.
Post 33 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo

While I was typing that response, I wanted to include my desire for Kanye, Bieber, and other so called artists, to fall off the fringe and never heard from again. But I figured why stand out as being the old fogey right? =)
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Things will continue to perpetuate in an endless loop. It seems like all the original thoughts and ideas are all used up and all we have left are remakes whether it be music, films, etc... it's all a rehash.

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. ~ Ecclesiastes 1:9
Post 35 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Even that! "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."
Post 36 IP   flag post
I'm okay with thinking of exactly the same thing as @DrWatson. It fits the theme.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Even that! "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

No kidding.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I'm not a religious person, but if I understand that verse correctly, we have committed sin, we will continue to sin, and nothing will ever change.

Therefore:

I should thank God he / it has eternal forgiveness because my heathen self will always be incorrigible and corrupt with no chance of true redemption because my evil will rise daily as sure as the sun rises.

@DrWatson
Yes. I'm kidding.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm not a religious person, but if I understand that verse correctly, we have committed sin, we will continue to sin, and nothing will ever change.

Therefore:

I should thank God he / it has eternal forgiveness because my heathen self will always be incorrigible and corrupt with no chance of true redemption because my evil will rise daily as sure as the sun rises.

@DrWatson
Yes. I'm kidding.

Well, there's nothing you can do that can't be done. Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game. It's easy.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid - Now that’s music to my ears!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
If you're big into Jungian psychology, then you probably know that there are really only a handful of stories that we tell and retell, while updating for our current times.

As far as comic collecting, you can always just liked 25-30 years in the past and adjust accordingly.

Plus newer generations "discover" things they never knew about before and cause booms in popularity.

It happened with the Stooges, Marx brothers and comics.

It's fun to watch.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie

I'm not so sure it's fun to watch things repeat themselves. It's like watching the same film over and again. Even if it's your favorite film, when you can recite the lines it gets kinda old.

Watching people react to the things of yesteryear brought new again through the most recent cycle, I suppose that could be mildly interesting. But again, once your old enough people watching gets predictable as well.

As for jungian archetypes, you know it's bad when there are a set number of character types that explain the repetition of ideas and stories in pretty much all literature. As mentioned before, nothing is fresh and undefined.

Yes, I am the eternal pessimist...
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
The Good Morty book. I just looked up eBay's sales on the book. It averages 30.00 to 50.00. Man, that little book took a tumble. Reminds me of Ren and Stimpy and the fall that book took.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
The Good Morty book. I just looked up eBay's sales on the book. It averages 30.00 to 50.00. Man, that little book took a tumble. Reminds me of Ren and Stimpy and the fall that book took.

Not too shocked what with the difficulty telling real from fake or first from subsequent printings and the whole 1 vs two staples.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:

If I take anything away from this thread, it's hold onto those books for another 25 years and sell them on the second time around, when the old are made new once again...Hmmm, I think I may have just become a hoarder.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

If I take anything away from this thread, it's hold onto those books for another 25 years and sell them on the second time around, when the old are made new once again...Hmmm, I think I may have just become a hoarder.

Preach!
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

Not too shocked what with the difficulty telling real from fake or first from subsequent printings and the whole 1 vs two staples.

I could be wrong but maybe if the guy who created them had a statement on them then the value slide wouldn't have happened. I doubt it though. I like the Aussie copy I found. The paper is super nice.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
I still don't get why anybody would "invest" multiple hundreds of dollars on risky, new, "hot", comics, when they can buy mid-sixties Marvels for the same price. (Like those I'm struggling to sell). At least those have an established value.
Post 49 IP   flag post
@Donnied

Bigger gain with bigger risk. Silvers and such are more slow and steady.

Granted, gambling sometimes is just a gut thing with no logic involved.
Post 50 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I could be wrong but maybe if the guy who created them had a statement on them then the value slide wouldn't have happened. I doubt it though
I mean the series creator did say a little bit about it but his word didn’t exactly settle anything as far as printings or print runs as they were likely throwaway promotional/advertisement items without all the considerations that would go with producing a comic book
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Totally forgot about that.
Post 52 IP   flag post
It seems to me that there is a very different life-cycle for characters that start in comics and then move to other mediums vs those that start in other mediums and move to comic books (adaptations). At least in modern times. Star Wars, Morty, Simpsons, Transformers, etc...The comic adaptations don't seem to hold their value that well on their own. Seems that long-term comic values are not reliable for these properties (with rare exceptions like Star Wars 1). Maybe someone can come up with some examples where this is not the case? Other than the recalled Alf book, I'm not thinking of anything after the Silver Age.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Arak private msg quote post Address this user
Lady Death
Shi

Double Take Comics- Not really ever hot , but they thought they were going to be Oct 2014- Nov 2016

THIS GUY -arguably one of the most famous players in the world at one time , Had everything and was hero worshiped by kids every where. Boy , did he let them down

Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Maybe someone can come up with some examples where this is not the case? Other than the recalled Alf book, I'm not thinking of anything after the Silver Age.

Wasn't Harley Quinn in the cartoon first? Maybe that's the exception that proves the rule. Or maybe cartoons are different than live-action, being closer to a comic book already?
Post 55 IP   flag post
600488 116 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?