Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

Anybody watch documentary "Chris Claremont's X-men" now on Amazon?10572

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting documentary covering the rise of the X-men franchise. Claremont takes over the failed X-men Comic, in GS1 they decide to give the book international appeal by putting together teammates from multiple countries. Claremont gives X-men an intellectual edge with complex storylines and characters who are not completely good or evil. When he started explaining X-men #150 (which came out about 4 months after I started buying comics) I realized that it was Claremonts more intellectual oriented writing that probably hooked me on comic books early on. In #150 Magneto was given a backstory explaining that he wasn't just out to do evil, just trying to make a world that was safe for mutants to live in.
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I watched it, I found it surprisingly entertaining and interesting considering it felt a little homespun. I could have done without the cosplayers, but it really made me want to re-read those X-men issues!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I watched it too, but feel asleep halfway through so need to watch it again.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahjdorsey
I could have done without the cosplayers, but it really made me want to re-read those X-men issues!

Agreed on both points!

I thought it was interesting that Claremont with his "high-brow" Shakespearian-like intelligent story and complex character development took the franchise over 20 years to never-before-seen levels of popularity. Then it got handed over to the "Bro" artists (like Lee and Leifield) who focused on Bulging muscles, large breasts, explosions, heavy violence, ridiculous characters and story lines to try to capitalize on the popularity. I understand why so many modern day creators went independent and wanted to own long-term control over their characters.
Post 5 IP   flag post
601242 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?