Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeFor Sale

BIG Bronze Age auction starts Monday -Wonder Woman, B&B, Supes, Star War #110571

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, boy ... auction ends tomorrow night and I totally forgot to post the rest of the books! Well, here they are, all eighteen, ending tomorrow night (Monday). Some good deals to be had! Here are the links and current bids:

Wonder Woman #209 9.6 - $60

Superman #259 9.4 - $14

Star Wars #1 9.4 - $120

House of Secrets #96 9.0 - $19

Brave and the Bold #106 9.8 - $33

Amazing Spider-Man #361 9.6 - $76

Brave and the Bold #110 9.6 - $22

And here are the ones I didn't post before:

Brave and the Bold #102 9.0 - This is a GREAT cover by Neal Adams. Current bid: $13

House of Mystery #202 9.2 - Great condition on this oversize comic with a Kaluta cover. Current bid: $25

Walking Dead #192 9.8 - The death of Rick Grimes key issue. Current bid: $28

Walking Dead #193 9.8 - Oversized Final Issue. Current bid: $38

Wonder Woman #116 7.0 - Wow! Great condition for a WW comic from 1960! Current bid: $56

Superman #234 8.5 - Classic Neal Adams cover in a key Bronze Age storyline. Current bid: $20

Batman Who Laughs 3A 9.8 - Nice cover by Jock. Current bid: $13

Powers of X Unknown Comics variant 9.8 - Nice variant by Lucio Parrillo. Current bid: $36

Tarzan #209 9.6 - Who doesn't like Tarzan? Or art by Joe Kubert? Current bid: $12

Venom #3 9.8 - Key book getting harder and harder to find in 9.8. Current bid: $89

Wonder Woman #51 9.8 - Artgerm cover. Current bid: $41

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid I kinda want to get a t-shirt with the SM #259 cover art on it. More people need to know about this amazing cover!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblebeast315
@Tedsaid I kinda want to get a t-shirt with the SM #259 cover art on it. More people need to know about this amazing cover!

LOL ... they certainly had some interesting storylines, too. But the REAL winners are the covers for Lois Lanes and Jimmy Olsens from around this era.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
LOL ... they certainly had some interesting storylines, too

So now that this week's auction is over, what's the storyline from that? Any pleasant surprises or big disappointments?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
LOL ... they certainly had some interesting storylines, too

So now that this week's auction is over, what's the storyline from that? Any pleasant surprises or big disappointments?

Yes! First of all, I think I've just learned something important: advertising works. I'll be honest, it is a BIG pain in the butt to make these posts. Inserting all the links, downloading and storing the images, going back and forth between tabs to get the current bids ... it takes some damn work. Especially the update from last night, which I did on my laptop instead of my home desktop with two giant screens.

But when I did that update last night I also (finally!) got around to posting over at CGC too. They have a place to advertise listings on ebay, MCS, ComicLink, etc. And they track views, so even though no one commented over there, ~50 people looked at it in less than one day.

Now look at the increase, from last night's current bids to the final bids (below). I had the impression that MCS auctions aren't like eBay auctions, and only increase about 20% in the last day. But almost all of these increased by 80-100%, some even more. Even the Star Wars #1, which was on the high end for this group, went from $120 to $185. And the ASM #361 went from $76 to $135.

So, it seems like it had a positive effect. It is impossible to have a counter-factual for the same auction, but I've had a couple with no postings at all, and I don't think they did so well, over all.

And I know some people from here go over there and help a brother out, which I REALLY appreciate! Even if you don't win, or don't even bid very high, it helps just to bid at all. And that's awesome.

Anyway, that's lesson one: tell people here and at CGC. Lesson two: Golden age and silver age non-keys don't do well in these auctions. I tried again, with Wonder Woman #116 (7.0), a nice comic with a nice cover from 1960: higher grade, hard to find. But these are lightly traded. For now on I think I'll stick to keys, or bronze age and better. (And really, bronze doesn't do as well as it should, probably.) Note: I sold an ASM #121 9.2 at auction back in July. It went for $828, which IIRC is just a smidge over GPA. So keys do better, I think. (I didn't make any money on that one, though. A tiny printer pull on the bottom of the back cover kept it from being a 9.4 or 9.6, darn it, so I basically sold it for about what I paid for it. Beautiful book, though. Would probably get a 9.4 today, which would be worth $400-500 more at least.)

And that Wonder Woman is probably the biggest disappointment. It went for $115. Even Overstreet says it is worth $175. But that's okay. I only lost money on one or two of these, and I'm still learning. (The #106 I bought three years ago, when I was just getting back in this game. It was $30. I probably had it pressed, and the grading was probably "Value" ($23) ... so I did okay, except for the time lag.

That beautiful #209 9.6 should have gone for more, too. But $150 is about all you can expect at auction. I have GOT to learn how to price these better. It's just so hard to sell them for less than they are worth! That's why I keep making myself do auctions ... to learn in a more visceral way how to price these to sell. And which ones to be more patient on. Some people leave stock up for a year or more! Which you probably want to be in the position to do, for the lightly traded stuff. Like that awesome WDCS I have for sale, or the Uncle Scrooge #1 ... I KNOW those would not do well at auction. There are buyers out there, but they are few and far in between.

BTW - I also sold a nice fixed price comic a couple days ago. Yay! It was ASM #41 7.0. I got $420 for it, which isn't bad at all. (That is approximately 12-month GPA. 90-day GPA is $387, and last sale was $433. Mine had off-white pages)

Final ... well, not really an observation. Just information. That Venom #3 continues to do well, auction or no. I only have two left, and I've sold six now over the last year. The prices were: $89 (Feb, auction), $110 (March, fixed price), $105 (Sept, auction), $86 (Oct, auction), $105 (Nov, auction), and now $125 (auction). I've only got two left. Which is another thing I like to do: have a copy or two of something I have in auction, in the fixed price market, and jack the price up to 'encourage' higher bids. I don't know if it works, but the two fixed price I have are marked at $190 and $220. (Some jackass dropped one in for fixed price at $125 - the lowest price - AFTER the auction started. So it's a small wonder the auction ended at that price point.)

Anyway, these are my last two, so maybe I'll just sell them at $124.99.

Anything you guys notice? Or any thoughts? Agree with my assessment, or disagree? I would love to hear what y'all think! Especially the old hands at selling.

----------------------

Wonder Woman #209 9.6 - $60 --> $151
Superman #259 9.4 - $14 --> $52
Star Wars #1 9.4 - $120 --> $185
House of Secrets #96 9.0 - $19 --> $52
Brave and the Bold #106 9.8 - $33 --> $100
Amazing Spider-Man #361 9.6 - $76 --> $135
Brave and the Bold #110 9.6 - $22 --> $41
Brave and the Bold #102 9.0 - $13 --> $32
House of Mystery #202 9.2 - $25 --> $55
Walking Dead #192 9.8 - $28 --> $46
Walking Dead #193 9.8 - $38 --> $67
Wonder Woman #116 7.0 - $56 --> $115
Superman #234 8.5 - $20 --> $28
Batman Who Laughs 3A 9.8 - $13 --> $26
Powers of X Unknown Comics variant 9.8 - $36 --> $44
Tarzan #209 9.6 - $12 --> $35
Venom #3 9.8 - $89 --> $125
Wonder Woman #51 9.8 - $41 --> $41
Post 30 IP   flag post

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
House of mystery 202 for $55 the buyer should be happy. I paid $12 for a vg copy for my may 1972 collection. Trouble is I only buy online from 2 sources. I don't do MCs eBay comic link ect. I think I need to start a thread for the books I need.

Congrats on your sales.
Especially that boost for Spidey 361 đź‘Ť
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Anyway, that's lesson one: tell people here and at CGC. Lesson two: Golden age and silver age non-keys don't do well in these auctions. I tried again, with Wonder Woman #116 (7.0), a nice comic with a nice cover from 1960: higher grade, hard to find. But these are lightly traded. For now on I think I'll stick to keys, or bronze age and better.

The above quote is my take-away. Lightly traded=Few Bidders=Dangerous at auction. Probably better to patiently wait for that one buyer who is a true collector. I just learned that reducing price by 5% puts you back in the MCS "New Listings", you probably knew that already. So maybe start at 10% over FMV and drop 5% every couple weeks until it's 10% below FMV?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Congrats on your sales.
Especially that boost for Spidey 361

Thanks! I think I have another copy of that ... oh, nope. I have another House of Secrets #96. Got "Mystery" mixed up with "House" for a second there. I really love that House cover. But May of 1972? I just looked it up ... that month's Flash is one of my favorite covers from that era. Do you have a nice one of that? I think I have a pretty good one, but it's for my PC, so I set it aside for now, ungraded. I keep my eye out for choice copies though.

I also have a pretty good Batman #241 ... a very nice looking 7.5. (Bernie Wrightson and Neal Adams on the cover!) Did you see my auction from a few months ago? An Unexpected #135 8.0 that damn sure should have been a higher grade went for just $26.00.

Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, that's lesson one: tell people here and at CGC. Lesson two: Golden age and silver age non-keys don't do well in these auctions. I tried again, with Wonder Woman #116 (7.0), a nice comic with a nice cover from 1960: higher grade, hard to find. But these are lightly traded. For now on I think I'll stick to keys, or bronze age and better.

The above quote is my take-away. Lightly traded=Few Bidders=Dangerous at auction. Probably better to patiently wait for that one buyer who is a true collector. I just learned that reducing price by 5% puts you back in the MCS "New Listings", you probably knew that already. So maybe start at 10% over FMV and drop 5% every couple weeks until it's 10% below FMV?

I do something like that ... I start higher than that, though, and drop by 10% or so every couple of weeks. $149.99 --> $139.99 --> $129.99 --> $119.99; etc. Sometimes I do 5%. Sometimes I do the weird price they suggest, that is EXACTLY 5% less, so I end up with something like $123.49 or $237.49.

I'm not sure exactly what "new listings" means, but I'm guessing it means: people who have it on their "want list" get a notice? Note: those notices don't say WHICH copy was reduced or added. So if I have two of the same comic, I'll only drop one at a time. I reckon if they get a notice, they will notice both of them.

I wish I could organize my commission list somehow, so I wouldn't keep looking at the ones that need to wait three or four or five months before I lower the price. (Or longer!) I keep wanting to drop those in price, too, and I shouldn't do that so much.

I did really well the first couple weeks of the year this past year. I'm hoping January 2020 will be a repeat. So I'm (starting about now) leaving most of my prices alone for now, and will wait and see.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what "new listings" means, but I'm guessing it means: people who have it on their "want list" get a notice?

The "New In Stock" tab on the homepage shows books that have been recently added and, presumably, listings that have been reduced by 5% or more. I assume there are people who regularly check the New In Stock tab.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what "new listings" means, but I'm guessing it means: people who have it on their "want list" get a notice?

The "New In Stock" tab on the homepage shows books that have been recently added and, presumably, listings that have been reduced by 5% or more. I assume there are people who regularly check the New In Stock tab.

Oh, RIGHT! I never check that tab, forgot it was there.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm all over the place with my prices but they're all listed at market value or slightly above. I've seen best offer options on some, any idea on how to add that to my listings at MCS?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I'm all over the place with my prices but they're all listed at market value or slightly above. I've seen best offer options on some, any idea on how to add that to my listings at MCS?

You've seen best offer on some at MCS? I didn't think they did that. Do you have a link to an example? I'd like to see it.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid - I have definitely seen the best offer option on some books in just the last week or two. Look at the listings for ASM #1, there are two CGC books with the “or best offer” option.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid - From the MCS website:

Make an offer

You can buy this item by clicking "Add to cart" above and then completing checkout. Or, you may make an offer for this item. Once you make an offer, your offer is valid for up to 48 hours to respond. The seller may accept your offer, decline your offer, or present you with a counter-offer. If the seller accepts your offer, you are required to purchase the item at the agreed upon price.

More information about making an offer

Please create an account or log in to make an offer.
Post 39 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

You've seen best offer on some at MCS? I didn't think they did that. Do you have a link to an example? I'd like to see it.

Yup, Batman 121 has a best offer too.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Wow! That's interesting! It doesn't appear to be related to the price ... that is, the Batman #121 is cheaper than one of mine, but I don't have this option available.

I've also seen a few listings that say something like, "Click here to see all of John Doe's comics for sale." That is, it lists WHO is selling that particular issue, and lets you look up that seller. Clearly, that isn't available for most sellers, either.

I wonder how you get access to those options?
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

It is a new feature they have started to roll out
Post 42 IP   flag post
600833 42 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?