Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeFor Sale

BIG Bronze Age auction starts Monday -Wonder Woman, B&B, Supes, Star War #110571

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, everyone! We are getting into the Holiday season, black Friday just a week away. And so I decided to do one more big Bronze Age sale during the MyComicShop weekly auction, starting this coming Monday!

Not JUST Bronze Age, but it is mostly that. I will post ALL the books soon, but here is a quick taste!

Wonder Woman #209 9.6 (!) Oh, boy, this copy is cherry. I thought it'd be a 9.8, but it's damn close regardless. Never been read - I cut it out of a 3-pack myself - and bone-white pages.

Superman #259 9.4. Cary Bates and Curt Swan, with a cover by Nick Cardy.

Star Wars #1 9.4. NICE! Star Wars is back in the theaters AND on TV, and the end of the Skywalker story is about to be told. Well, here's the beginning. White pages.

House of Secrets #96 9.0. FANTASTIC Bernie Wrightson cover (aren't they all?) and white pages, from 1972. Five different stories in this giant sized book, plus a Sergio Aragones cartoon page.

Brave and the Bold #106 9.8 (!) Batman and Green Arrow. Another book rescued from a 45-year-old 3-pack. Highest graded (one of only 11) and with bone-white pages.

Amazing Spider-Man #361 9.6 - First full appearance of Carnage, with white pages.

Brave and the Bold #110 9.6 - Batman teams up with DC's version of Black Panther, Wildcat. BEAUTIFUL high-grade copy with Nick Cardy cover art.

And coming in the January 6th Prime Auction...

Batman #77 9.9 Mint. The Death of Alfred has been confirmed, and this is the ONLY 9.9 currently on the census (out of 215 graded). Also, first appearance (and cover) of Gotham Girl as Robin.

Amazing Spider-Man #129 9.4. The first appearance of The Punisher in one of the most sought-after comics of the Bronze Age. And one of the most homaged covers! The price on the 9.4 is depressed just now for this comic ... I'm hoping it will bounce back after the new year, but perhaps YOU can get it at a significant discount. White pages.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Those are some Killer books Mr. Said.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Green Arrow..... Dope on a slope. 🤣
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblebeast315

Hahaha ... thank you, sir! I really hate to see that Wonder Woman go, in particular. And that Brave and the Bold 9.8! But fortunately, I bought a Star Wars 9.6 last year, so even though I love it, I don't need two of them.

I guess I don't understand the people who "hoard" multiple copies of keys. It just seems, I don't know, greedy or something. Let 'em go free! Spread the wealth!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice books indeed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Green Arrow..... Dope on a slope. 🤣

lol ... he's had better days, that's for sure.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

Hahaha ... thank you, sir! I really hate to see that Wonder Woman go, in particular. And that Brave and the Bold 9.8! But fortunately, I bought a Star Wars 9.6 last year, so even though I love it, I don't need two of them.

I guess I don't understand the people who "hoard" multiple copies of keys. It just seems, I don't know, greedy or something. Let 'em go free! Spread the wealth!

You need at least 3 copies of the Superman getting shot by a kid on a crutch cover. That is uplifting. If he can do that I feel like I can accomplish anything.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You need at least 3 copies of the Superman getting shot by a kid on a crutch cover. That is uplifting. If he can do that I feel like I can accomplish anything.

Superman's abilities tended to be a bit inconsistent in the Bronze Age. I seem to remember a Jimmy Olsen book comic that opened with Clark Kent getting hit by a car because he was distracted.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

Superman's abilities tended to be a bit inconsistent in the Bronze Age. I seem to remember a Jimmy Olsen book comic that opened with Clark Kent getting hit by a car because he was distracted.

Just two years before, in #233 (with the famous Neal Adams cover) they destroyed all the kryptonite in the world, and also started a storyline where Superman became (they said) 1/3rd less powerful. They felt he was getting ridiculously strong, so they wanted to scale it back a bit.

But yeah ... different writers over the years have handled it differently. So it's kind of all over the place.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Very nice books indeed.

Thanks! I am getting more and more addicted to very high grade books. I have to keep telling myself, a 9.4 Bronze Age book is REALLY good. But the heart wants what the heart wants.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice books indeed.

Thanks! I am getting more and more addicted to very high grade books. I have to keep telling myself, a 9.4 Bronze Age book is REALLY good. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

I should also mention, I have raws of the Wonder Woman and the B&B that I haven't sent in yet. A whole half-box of high grade Bronze that I'm hopeful for. I think it's more fun to FIND a 9.6 or a 9.8 than even to OWN one. To get that super-high, hard-to-get grade on a 45-year-old comic? That's the magic.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice books indeed.

I forget what movie that line is from.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice books indeed.

I don't know offhand, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about comic books.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice books indeed.

You're partly right (comic related). It was bugging me so I searched....

"The heart wants what the heart wants, even that which is worse for it."

Wonder Woman - animated movie 2009
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice books indeed.

You're partly right. It was bugging me so I searched....

Nicely done! I was thinking it was in some old Kevin Costner movie, like Bull Durham or something like that, but I couldn't find it. Originally it was Emily Dickinson, of course. But I found this when I was looking.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice books indeed.

You're partly right. It was bugging me so I searched....

Nicely done! I was thinking it was in some old Kevin Costner movie, like Bull Durham or something like that, but I couldn't find it. Originally it was Emily Dickinson, of course. But I found this when I was looking.

Yeah, the line was probably taken from Emily and bastardized for the WW animation, which I thought was excellent btw.

Anyhow, best of luck with your sale.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid Good luck with the sales. I am with you, I love high grade Bronze Age books too.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I was 10 years old when the Bronze Age started, so those are the comics I vividly recall buying off the spinner racks as a kid. So I basically grew up with them and still cherish high grade copies that survived the torture chambers of the Newstands.
I love and appreciate Silver Age because they bring me back to an even earlier period of my youth. As a teenager I tried to buy as many SA comics as my meager budget could afford, because they were cool and older than most of the books in my collection.
You might say that I lust after Golden Age comics. Even as a teenager they were mostly books that I drooled over at comic shows and remember gawking at pictures of their covers in my Overstreet Prices Guides. They were always treasures that were way more expensive than I could afford.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I probably should mention, there are three comics in THIS week's auction as well. Relatively good deals, currently. And some GREAT cover art ... some of my favorites. All of these end tomorrow (Monday) night.

Vampirella: Roses for the Dead #1, 9.6, variant cover by Mike Mahyew. Currently $44.

Amazing Spider-Man #24, 9.8, variant cover by Ryan Brown. We talked about this guy on another thread. He just recently got on my radar as a cover artist, and he is shockingly good. Current bid: $34.

Amazing Spider-Man #25 9.4, variant cover by Tyler Kirkham. I love this one, which features the SPIDER BUGGY! Bidding at $31.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Just curious about auctioning high grade books like the ASM 129 or Star Wars 1...since the FMV of those books is so clearly established (and supported by decent sales volume), do you have concerns that the risk of auctioning might outweigh the potential rewards?
Do you go straight to auction or do you first list them at a set price for a while? I ask because I have 11 slabbed books now at MCS, using them for the first time.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Just curious about auctioning high grade books like the ASM 129 or Star Wars 1...since the FMV of those books is so clearly established (and supported by decent sales volume), do you have concerns that the risk of auctioning might outweigh the potential rewards?
Do you go straight to auction or do you first list them at a set price for a while? I ask because I have 11 slabbed books now at MCS, using them for the first time.

Excellent questions. First of all, this is the highest value book I've ever auctioned. (Or owned, for that matter.)

But, to answer your question: all of my auction books pretty much begin as fixed price. This one, the 129, has been there since early March. In this case, though, my habit worked against me, because as I've slowly lowered (mostly) the price on this, the market has slowly softened for 129 9.4s. (Not 9.6, or 9.8, as far as I can tell. But for some reason the 9.4s have gone down a bit. And the 9.2s just recently, but not as much.) So, a year ago it might have sold easily for $3500, when I had it priced around $4000. When I came down to $3600, and then $3400, then $3200, the market sunk even more.

Now the market is around $3000. More for white pages, less for OW/W. (Mine's white pages, so that's good.)

I THINK it's turned around and started going back up just a little. At least, that's what I hope. But even the big ticket items can have good, or bad, auctions.

For example, I (barely) lost a bid on a Daredevil #1 7.5 over at Heritage Auction, just yesterday. I didn't think It'd be so close. My bid was $3320, and was the winning bid, but the other guy put his bid in first, so his counted and he got the book. This is about 25% less than that issue in that condition should sell for, right now.

So you never can tell.

Anyway, I'm still learning. But I've had this comic for a year, and it's time, I think, to cut bait and sell it. That another thing I'm learning ... sometimes money in hand is better than a higher price in six or twelve months. Because that money can be used to by more raws, get them graded, and put in the store.

So it may go for less than I want. I'm assuming the demand has come back just a little, and I'm hoping it will go over $3000. But it could be less than that. I wish I'd sold it nine months ago! But there was no way to know. A guy offered me $3200 for it around that time, but someone else just sold one on HA for $3840, so I thought his offer was too low. I thought it was still going up.

Mostly, you shouldn't try to time it, just sell it for whatever the market is NOW. But it can be hard to tell what the market is! And auctions are no sure thing ... I've had books that went for $40 or $50 on auction while SIMULTANEOUSLY selling for thrice that on the same website. I've seen stuff sell better on eBay sometimes, or HA, or MCS. I've looked up a few books, and seen something that sold on HA for one price - say, $5000 - one year, and then sell again a year later for half that. Or twice. I sold a Walking Dead #192 9.8 for $225 when someone panicked, and a week later he could have bought it for half that. (Or half again a month later.)

Anyway, I still might bail on the auction. I can take it out anytime, up until it starts. But I *think* it will be fine. And I suspect it is better to let it sit there for a month or two "in auction," advertised as the upcoming auction before it starts. I guess we will (probably!) see.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It's tough to watch value drop significantly on books. Punisher seems to be particularly volatile. Sometimes he's the hottest thing going and then at times he's so cold you start to wonder if there will ever be interest again. I've seen this for about 12 years now.

For higher value books that are regularly traded I have two concerns with auctions:

1) The lowest price BIN on the market typically sets the high bar for the auction price. It just wouldn't be rational to bid more on an auction than you can pay with BIN. So if a BIN and auction sell on the same day, the BIN almost always goes for the higher price.

2) The last 15% or so of the price often comes down to 2 bidders. If one bidder is MIA that day, it could have a dramatic effect on the final selling price.

On the day of decision deadline you may want to look at all the current listings on all sites to be comfortable that there is no BIN item out there that might distract that second bidder and sabotage your auction price. Good luck with the sale.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
It's tough to watch value drop significantly on books. Punisher seems to be particularly volatile. Sometimes he's the hottest thing going and then at times he's so cold you start to wonder if there will ever be interest again. I've seen this for about 12 years now.

For higher value books that are regularly traded I have two concerns with auctions:

1) The lowest price BIN on the market typically sets the high bar for the auction price. It just wouldn't be rational to bid more on an auction than you can pay with BIN. So if a BIN and auction sell on the same day, the BIN almost always goes for the higher price.

2) The last 15% or so of the price often comes down to 2 bidders. If one bidder is MIA that day, it could have a dramatic effect on the final selling price.

On the day of decision deadline you may want to look at all the current listings on all sites to be comfortable that there is no BIN item out there that might distract that second bidder and sabotage your auction price. Good luck with the sale.

Great thoughts! Currently, all the BINs on eBay are $3500 and above (one for $4500), and the other one on MCS is priced at $4000. I will look again in January.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
But I've had this comic for a year, and it's time, I think, to cut bait and sell it. That another thing I'm learning ... sometimes money in hand is better than a higher price in six or twelve months. Because that money can be used to by more raws, get them graded, and put in the store.

This has got me thinking that maybe I need to give myself a well-thought out deadline specific to each book that I intend to sell but have been resisting. Investing in comic books can be kind of like investing in Gold...the timing just never seems right for selling, whether the market is hot or cold, there's always a rationale for holding out. I have several minor key books that I want to sell and reinvest the proceeds in higher dollar books but I keep convincing myself that the timing is not good for selling (which always means that the timing is good for buying). Books like Hulk 180, Cap 117, DC Presents 26, Primer 2, etc. I think I will just put a date on each one based on my theories and use that date to force myself past FOMO regardless of what has happened with price.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
But I've had this comic for a year, and it's time, I think, to cut bait and sell it. That another thing I'm learning ... sometimes money in hand is better than a higher price in six or twelve months. Because that money can be used to by more raws, get them graded, and put in the store.

This has got me thinking that maybe I need to give myself a well-thought out deadline specific to each book that I intend to sell but have been resisting. Investing in comic books can be kind of like investing in Gold...the timing just never seems right for selling, whether the market is hot or cold, there's always a rationale for holding out. I have several minor key books that I want to sell and reinvest the proceeds in higher dollar books but I keep convincing myself that the timing is not good for selling (which always means that the timing is good for buying). Books like Hulk 180, Cap 117, DC Presents 26, Primer 2, etc. I think I will just put a date on each one based on my theories and use that date to force myself past FOMO regardless of what has happened with price.

I think that's an excellent strategy.

From the books you've listed, and as a long-time fan of Matt Wagner, I don't think Primer 2 will EVER go anywhere. Grendel and Mage just don't appreciate in value much at all, and never have. You could hold them for years, it seems to me, and it will still be about the same price. But maybe they will have a Grendel movie or TV show, and it will pop?

I think the best way to make money off comics is not through appreciation, but through buying low and selling high. Pay wholesale prices and sell for retail, like every comic book store in the country. Especially raw-to-graded. If you get good at judging raws on eBay or other sites, you can produce a pretty steady stream of comics to be graded and sold for a profit.

I haven't started buying collections yet, but that's another way to do it.

I don't know yet if the way I'm doing it is sustainable, because I have a LOT of raws that I've decided aren't worth grading (or aren't worth grading yet). But I am getting much better. I bought that ASM 129 a year ago at auction and got it for $1800. Even at a depressed price, that's pretty good for a 9.4. (Pressing and grading is higher for high-value comics, so that one was around $200, putting the total at $2000. Still room for profit though.) But I was DEFINITELY too concerned with getting highest dollar at first. Well ... it just peaked, is all. Maybe the next TV show will be announced right before my auction.

I think the books you listed all have their day coming. Maybe the thing to do is buy stuff like that, and wait for each one to have a run? DC Presents 26 should have gone up with the TV show, and I guess it didn't? But at some point the first appearance of Cyborg will mean something, or the first Falcon, or Wolverine. Maybe ten years from now cameos will be a bigger deal (though cover appearances still rule, in my opinion). But maybe it's like stocks: you don't have to get the timing right on any of them, if you have a lot of them?

Still ... buy low, even if to hold. That will always net you more than appreciation, I think.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Oh, boy ... auction ends tomorrow night and I totally forgot to post the rest of the books! Well, here they are, all eighteen, ending tomorrow night (Monday). Some good deals to be had! Here are the links and current bids:

Wonder Woman #209 9.6 - $60

Superman #259 9.4 - $14

Star Wars #1 9.4 - $120

House of Secrets #96 9.0 - $19

Brave and the Bold #106 9.8 - $33

Amazing Spider-Man #361 9.6 - $76

Brave and the Bold #110 9.6 - $22

And here are the ones I didn't post before:

Brave and the Bold #102 9.0 - This is a GREAT cover by Neal Adams. Current bid: $13

House of Mystery #202 9.2 - Great condition on this oversize comic with a Kaluta cover. Current bid: $25

Walking Dead #192 9.8 - The death of Rick Grimes key issue. Current bid: $28

Walking Dead #193 9.8 - Oversized Final Issue. Current bid: $38

Wonder Woman #116 7.0 - Wow! Great condition for a WW comic from 1960! Current bid: $56

Superman #234 8.5 - Classic Neal Adams cover in a key Bronze Age storyline. Current bid: $20

Batman Who Laughs 3A 9.8 - Nice cover by Jock. Current bid: $13

Powers of X Unknown Comics variant 9.8 - Nice variant by Lucio Parrillo. Current bid: $36

Tarzan #209 9.6 - Who doesn't like Tarzan? Or art by Joe Kubert? Current bid: $12

Venom #3 9.8 - Key book getting harder and harder to find in 9.8. Current bid: $89

Wonder Woman #51 9.8 - Artgerm cover. Current bid: $41

Post 26 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid I kinda want to get a t-shirt with the SM #259 cover art on it. More people need to know about this amazing cover!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Tedsaid I kinda want to get a t-shirt with the SM #259 cover art on it. More people need to know about this amazing cover!

LOL ... they certainly had some interesting storylines, too. But the REAL winners are the covers for Lois Lanes and Jimmy Olsens from around this era.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
LOL ... they certainly had some interesting storylines, too

So now that this week's auction is over, what's the storyline from that? Any pleasant surprises or big disappointments?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
LOL ... they certainly had some interesting storylines, too

So now that this week's auction is over, what's the storyline from that? Any pleasant surprises or big disappointments?

Yes! First of all, I think I've just learned something important: advertising works. I'll be honest, it is a BIG pain in the butt to make these posts. Inserting all the links, downloading and storing the images, going back and forth between tabs to get the current bids ... it takes some damn work. Especially the update from last night, which I did on my laptop instead of my home desktop with two giant screens.

But when I did that update last night I also (finally!) got around to posting over at CGC too. They have a place to advertise listings on ebay, MCS, ComicLink, etc. And they track views, so even though no one commented over there, ~50 people looked at it in less than one day.

Now look at the increase, from last night's current bids to the final bids (below). I had the impression that MCS auctions aren't like eBay auctions, and only increase about 20% in the last day. But almost all of these increased by 80-100%, some even more. Even the Star Wars #1, which was on the high end for this group, went from $120 to $185. And the ASM #361 went from $76 to $135.

So, it seems like it had a positive effect. It is impossible to have a counter-factual for the same auction, but I've had a couple with no postings at all, and I don't think they did so well, over all.

And I know some people from here go over there and help a brother out, which I REALLY appreciate! Even if you don't win, or don't even bid very high, it helps just to bid at all. And that's awesome.

Anyway, that's lesson one: tell people here and at CGC. Lesson two: Golden age and silver age non-keys don't do well in these auctions. I tried again, with Wonder Woman #116 (7.0), a nice comic with a nice cover from 1960: higher grade, hard to find. But these are lightly traded. For now on I think I'll stick to keys, or bronze age and better. (And really, bronze doesn't do as well as it should, probably.) Note: I sold an ASM #121 9.2 at auction back in July. It went for $828, which IIRC is just a smidge over GPA. So keys do better, I think. (I didn't make any money on that one, though. A tiny printer pull on the bottom of the back cover kept it from being a 9.4 or 9.6, darn it, so I basically sold it for about what I paid for it. Beautiful book, though. Would probably get a 9.4 today, which would be worth $400-500 more at least.)

And that Wonder Woman is probably the biggest disappointment. It went for $115. Even Overstreet says it is worth $175. But that's okay. I only lost money on one or two of these, and I'm still learning. (The #106 I bought three years ago, when I was just getting back in this game. It was $30. I probably had it pressed, and the grading was probably "Value" ($23) ... so I did okay, except for the time lag.

That beautiful #209 9.6 should have gone for more, too. But $150 is about all you can expect at auction. I have GOT to learn how to price these better. It's just so hard to sell them for less than they are worth! That's why I keep making myself do auctions ... to learn in a more visceral way how to price these to sell. And which ones to be more patient on. Some people leave stock up for a year or more! Which you probably want to be in the position to do, for the lightly traded stuff. Like that awesome WDCS I have for sale, or the Uncle Scrooge #1 ... I KNOW those would not do well at auction. There are buyers out there, but they are few and far in between.

BTW - I also sold a nice fixed price comic a couple days ago. Yay! It was ASM #41 7.0. I got $420 for it, which isn't bad at all. (That is approximately 12-month GPA. 90-day GPA is $387, and last sale was $433. Mine had off-white pages)

Final ... well, not really an observation. Just information. That Venom #3 continues to do well, auction or no. I only have two left, and I've sold six now over the last year. The prices were: $89 (Feb, auction), $110 (March, fixed price), $105 (Sept, auction), $86 (Oct, auction), $105 (Nov, auction), and now $125 (auction). I've only got two left. Which is another thing I like to do: have a copy or two of something I have in auction, in the fixed price market, and jack the price up to 'encourage' higher bids. I don't know if it works, but the two fixed price I have are marked at $190 and $220. (Some jackass dropped one in for fixed price at $125 - the lowest price - AFTER the auction started. So it's a small wonder the auction ended at that price point.)

Anyway, these are my last two, so maybe I'll just sell them at $124.99.

Anything you guys notice? Or any thoughts? Agree with my assessment, or disagree? I would love to hear what y'all think! Especially the old hands at selling.

----------------------

Wonder Woman #209 9.6 - $60 --> $151
Superman #259 9.4 - $14 --> $52
Star Wars #1 9.4 - $120 --> $185
House of Secrets #96 9.0 - $19 --> $52
Brave and the Bold #106 9.8 - $33 --> $100
Amazing Spider-Man #361 9.6 - $76 --> $135
Brave and the Bold #110 9.6 - $22 --> $41
Brave and the Bold #102 9.0 - $13 --> $32
House of Mystery #202 9.2 - $25 --> $55
Walking Dead #192 9.8 - $28 --> $46
Walking Dead #193 9.8 - $38 --> $67
Wonder Woman #116 7.0 - $56 --> $115
Superman #234 8.5 - $20 --> $28
Batman Who Laughs 3A 9.8 - $13 --> $26
Powers of X Unknown Comics variant 9.8 - $36 --> $44
Tarzan #209 9.6 - $12 --> $35
Venom #3 9.8 - $89 --> $125
Wonder Woman #51 9.8 - $41 --> $41
Post 30 IP   flag post
598088 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?