Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Mail Call (Sort of...) and a Thank You10551

Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Those of you who have read my posts know that I've waited a ridiculously long time for six books in process and I have tried, sometimes unsuccessfully, to be patient.

I wanted to post a big thank you to @Darryl_H who has emailed several times this week about my situation and am thrilled to report that all of my books are now complete and shipped, and overall my submission was filled with surprises! I now own the most "valuable" comic in my collection thanks to this last round I sent in.

Before I post pics of the books, I'd like to say I learned three things from this experience.

1) There is a major problem in customer communication at CBCS but they are overall great people who are trying their hardest to do a terrific job. If you need a book back in a hurry and need pressing, I can't say I recommend CBCS. That being said, if you've got patience and are in no rush, the service is first-rate and I would consider using it again. I may wait a bit to see if the issues with pressing iron out (no pun intended).

2) @Darryl_H is a huge stand up guy. He checked into this and basically followed the process through on my behalf. I am so grateful I can't express it in words. I am sure there are others I don't know about that worked behind the scenes to rectify my concerns and get this done, so a hearty thanks to them also. A thank you is also due to @Steve_Ricketts in pressing for making these older books look so sharp.

3) I am a mediocre comic book grader. The comics I thought were candidates for 9.4+ came back at 8.0 and 8.5 and the ones I thought were "8"s came back in the 9.2 or higher range.

From start to finish, the process took 25 weeks.

Now, here are the books. Since I have them shipped to a friend out-of-state, I won't technically have the physical books until Christmas, but I'll share the pics I paid for here because I just can't wait (see? I still have little patience )

1st Solo Moon Knight W/Perlin Signature

I'll take an early Conan #2 in 9.2 near mint any day of the week. Was really surprised by this one.

2nd Solo Moon Knight. I was surprised this came back as a 9.0 because I thought it looked better than the Spotlight #28. Based on this one and some of the other surprises, this submission also proved I'm not a good comic book grader.

And finally...the new highlight of my collection...

I was guessing this might be a 9.4 or 9.6 but it's officially my first 9.8. And it's got verified Truman and Dixon signatures. My new "best comic."

Thanks to all of you for putting up with my frustrations and hopefully enjoying the books I've posted here. I am grateful to the crew at CBCS for pulling this one off, despite the wait. I'm pleased to report that confidence is restored and I'll certainly be making future submissions to CBCS with much more patience and confidence.

(BTW...the other books were a Peter Parker #64 signed (verified) by Jim Shooter and a (verified) Moon Knight: Fist of Khonshu #1 also signed by Jim Shooter. Sadly, both came back as 8.0 and 8.5 respectively, so I'll probably be adding those to a trade thread some point soon. PM me if you're interested in either.)

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
πŸ™Œ
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector crystalphoto private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books!
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
suhweet!!!!!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Beautiful books!

I really love those early Moon Knights!

My experience echoes yours. I got my books graded, and the communication wasn't great, but the product and people seem great.

I, also, apparently know squat about grading. I had some pleasant surprises, and some not so pleasant ones, but ultimately, I feel good about the experience.

I drop my books with my LCS, and they facilitate it now, but I don't think I'll use anyone but CBCS.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I would be a better sharer and post my β€œMail Calls”, but it just hasn’t worked out that way. I do appreciate everyone else sharing their recently graded books. It’s like a communal cause for celebration. We all know your joy and are happy to enjoy it with you!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah, I am certainly a CBCS guy only from this point forward. I was on the fence, but it seems that even when circumstances are rough, the product is always delivered and delivered in excellent form indeed.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@Paint_Monk Congrats glad it all worked out in the end πŸ‘

I'll go back to the other thread and continue moaning on my own πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Post 8 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@Paint_Monk Glad it worked out in the end buddy. Great looking books!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks, everyone! I am beyond thrilled and I suppose the excitement of good grades has dulled the pain of the long wait.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Not a whole lot of Don Perlin signatures floating around out there. Congrats particularly on that one!
Love the Red labels!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector MarvelousComics private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice @Paint_Monk. Glad you are finally getting them.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Not a whole lot of Don Perlin signatures floating around out there. Congrats particularly on that one!
Love the Red labels!

Thanks, @Nuffsaid111!

Considering I picked up Spotlight #28 and #29 in one lot on eBay for under $80, I'd say I did really well. The double-signed Airboy is the one that really made me happy. It was a $10 buy-it-now.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Monk

I'll take a Silver Age Conan #1 in 9.2 near mint any day of the week. Was really surprised by this one.

#1? Silver Age? Many consider Conan #1 to be the start of the Bronze Age.
But that's an awesome #2 there. Congrats!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
#1? Silver Age? Many consider Conan #1 to be the start of the Bronze Age.
But that's an awesome #2 there. Congrats!

Hmmm. Thanks for the correction. I always thought it was a Silver Age book. Shows you how green I am.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_Monk
3) I am a mediocre comic book grader. The comics I thought were candidates for 9.4 came back at 8.0 and 8.5 and the ones I thought were "8"s came back in the 9.2 or higher range.

Don't forget, you were guessing at grades pre-pressing. If you could have seen the books after pressing you may have had different opinions.

Based on what I've read here, at some point the CBCS presser is going to have to hire and train some help or CBCS is going to need to set up additional pressers. Over and over again it sounds like pressing is the bottleneck and the cause of much frustration among CBCS submitters.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Actually, the start of the Bronze age was in 1970, however it is an informal name for a period when comics started tackling real issues like drug use and death. ASM 122 and Green Lantern 76 are good examples. Even though Conan 1 came out in 1970 most would argue it is still a silver age book as is #2. Just my two cent. Nuff said.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Actually, the start of the Bronze age was in 1970, however it is an informal name for a period when comics started tackling real issues like drug use and death. ASM 122 and Green Lantern 76 are good examples. Even though Conan 1 came out in 1970 most would argue it is still a silver age book as is #2. Just my two cent. Nuff said.

Thanks, @Doc_Cop. You made me feel better...I thought my comic-fu was weaker than I had estimated.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600845 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?