Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestionsSignatures

How to identify a real signature (Bernie Wrightson)10545

Collector Beney117 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everybody. I’m a big fan of the Bronze Age Swamp Thing, and I just bought the #7 signed by Bernie Wrightson. I trust the seller, but I still want to make sure that the signature is authentic. How can I do that?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
You'd have to send it through the CBCS VSP service, but that won't be a 100% guarantee the sig is authentic, even if it "passes" authentication.
That's about as close as you can get.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beney117
Hi everybody. I’m a big fan of the Bronze Age Swamp Thing, and I just bought the #7 signed by Bernie Wrightson. I trust the seller, but I still want to make sure that the signature is authentic. How can I do that?
very cool!!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks real to me and I have many Berni sigs
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The only way for you to know a signature is 100% authentic is to see it signed yourself. Anything else is just taking someone else's word for it. Some people are okay with that, others aren't.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
If you trust the seller be done with it there, that book has an aura man....
Post 6 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like the third signature on this 70’s vintage bowling score sheet...

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like several of the ones i have
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

Here are 2 of his signatures I have from Berni on 2 Conan prints. These were signed in 1976.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Catman! You dog! You got to bowl with the great Berni Wrightson?! I am impressed. Nuff said.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I have 3 Bernie sigs from the years prior to his passing. It looks like those.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
However, your bowling sucks! Just kidding.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop

Yeah, the Lebowski moments were few and far between for this motley crew. It was such an offhand outing, but fun nonetheless. We were all at a Wintercon in Tulsa. Weird weekend as an unseasonable tornado came much too close for comfort during the con.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Ambush_Bug private msg quote post Address this user
I have had several items signed by Bernie. That one looks legit.

Bowling with Bernie!
So Jealous!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Gregojira private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings! I've just run across a lovely Bernie Wrightson Frankenstein volume that he signed on the front title page... but the signature there is somewhat... odd.

What do you folks think as far as authenticity?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!!!

G
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Ambush_Bug private msg quote post Address this user
It says #2985 in the corner, in pencil. Maybe this is a limited numbered, signed edition.
The signature itself seems to flow pretty well. I've seen similar signatures by him.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:

Yeah, the Lebowski moments were few and far between for this motley crew. It was such an offhand outing, but fun nonetheless. We were all at a Wintercon in Tulsa. Weird weekend as an unseasonable tornado came much too close for comfort during the con.

Looks like your bowling was good enough to whup Bernie's butt! Hope you played for money.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregojira
Greetings! I've just run across a lovely Bernie Wrightson Frankenstein volume that he signed on the front title page... but the signature there is somewhat... odd.

What do you folks think as far as authenticity?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!!!

G

If he signed these editions in a short period of time (minimal breaks), I don't think it's at all surprising a signature would look off. My signature looks like a poor forgery after writing a few checks. I can't imagine 2,985.

I couldn't say it's real, of course.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thank you so much, Gentlemen!

I suppose it can't hurt to take a chance then... I just haven't seen such a... spartan... version of his signature before this one. But if you two have seen similar occurrences of this, I feel fairly safe.

Again, I appreciate your input on this.

Cheers!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It looks like the third signature on this 70’s vintage bowling score sheet...

You must have some pretty great stories just going off of this and your prior reminiscing about the con circuit with Chuck.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregojira
Thank you so much, Gentlemen!

I suppose it can't hurt to take a chance then... I just haven't seen such a... spartan... version of his signature before this one. But if you two have seen similar occurrences of this, I feel fairly safe.

Again, I appreciate your input on this.

Cheers!!!

It is close to these first two*, though not very similar to the third**. The loop from the "h[?]" in your image is smaller- But then, it's also closer to the printing, so he was probably "forced" to adjust to keep the whole letter in clear view. That, and the lack of much after the "h[?]" in addition to the "#2,985" suggests fatigue to me.

*Did not personally acquire these, so for all I know they're fake.

**Also not personally acquired, but I know who did, and I believe at a signing rather than convention which explains the more 'personal' feel to the sig.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Quote:

Looks like your bowling was good enough to whup Bernie's butt! Hope you played for money.

Archie Goodwin too (his signature is first), but none of us bowled well that day. Alas, no cash changed hands. We might've agreed in advance that the highest scorer covered the game (that'd certainly excuse their scores and my getting stuck with the tab). The thing I remember most is that it was a lot of fun.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Aha!
I found a set of signed cards that were auctioned off at Heritage Auctions that bear the striking "fatigued" signature that is similar to mine;-)

They are hard to see when photographed from my laptop screen... but if you look closely, the are basically just the two larger letters... very similar to the sig. I found on the book.

Am I crazy? Heritage Auctions is a somewhat reliable source, yes?

I feel a bit better about it now at least;-)

Post 23 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Gregojira - Here’s the only one I can contribute, and since my name is not Hannah, I didn’t witness the signature.

Post 24 IP   flag post
597893 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?