Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

10 Most Successful R-Rated Comic Book Movies10528

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Of these, which was your favorite???

10 Most Successful R-Rated Comic Book Movies According to Box Office Mojo

10 WATCHMEN (2009) ($185)
9 CONSTANTINE (2005) ($230)
8 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE (2014) ($337)
7 KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE (2017) ($410)
6 KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE (2014) ($414)
5 300 (2007) ($456)
4 LOGAN (2017) ($619)
3 DEADPOOL (2016) ($782)
2 DEADPOOL 2 (2018) ($785)
1 JOKER (2019) ($1 BILLION +)

Deadpool franchise for me. I love the sick humor in it and think it is the perfect role for Ryan Reynolds just as Hugh Jackman was the perfect Wolverine.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Mine would have to be 300 (the first one) and the first Deadpool.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Constantine!!! really???? Just kept thinking....imagine how much better it would have been with a blonde brit playing the role
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Though I’m not surprised that they’re not on the list, I was pleasantly surprised that Blade and Blade 2 only barely missed the top 10, despite being released before the full-on wave of comic book movies we’re currently in.

I haven’t seen Joker yet but I really enjoyed the rest of the top 4. Logan is actually the only movie (that I can recall) where I went to the first Thursday showing. I loved it but I nearly ran late for my birthday dinner right afterwards lol. I’m not a huge fan of 300 but it stuck pretty close to the source material so it’s more an issue with post-peak Miller than the movie itself.

I enjoyed Watchmen. I think the Director’s Cut is the best of the 3 versions as it includes some great new material while avoiding some pitfalls from the longer version. The inclusion of the Black Freighter material in the Ultimate Cut is a nice novelty but I don’t think it was incorporated as well as it could have. While I don’t think much of Snyder as a director, he can do well-enough when he sticks (almost panel-for-panel) to the source material.
Post 4 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
In order of my favorites:

1. Logan
2. Joker
3. Watchmen
4. Deadpool
5. Deadpool 2
6. 300
7. 300: Rise of an Empire
8. Constantine
9. Either Kingsman (didn't see them)
10. Either Kingsman (didn't see them)

7 and 8 suck, though.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I may be in the minority but, I finally watched Joker and although I think Joaquin did a good job acting, I don't think the movie was all that great. I felt that the "Joker laugh" was somewhat forced and it detracted from the movie.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Constantine!!! really???? Just kept thinking....imagine how much better it would have been with a blonde brit playing the role
I’m pretty sure the movie was partially riding on Keanu Reeves’ Matrix popularity. And really, a black-haired, American Constantine is the least of the movie’s problems when Shia LeBouff is also in it
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Surprised that V for Vendetta and From Hell aren't on here, but I have no idea what they made at the box office.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I may be in the minority but, I finally watched Joker and although I think Joaquin did a good job acting, I don't think the movie was all that great. I felt that the "Joker laugh" was somewhat forced and it detracted from the movie.

Well, I mean... His laugh is forced by his mental condition...

I liked it better the 2nd time I saw it. I had some reservations and confusion after the 1st time I saw it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
300 was Synder's start to comic movies. He follows it up with Watchmen and thinks he has the secret to success. Dark, edgy, more dark, more edgy. Not every story needs to be dark and edgy. However, he chose to stay in the dark and edgy area when doing Superman. Gotta be different. He destroyed any hope of Clark being anything but the whinny crybaby his Superman films delivered to the audience.

I'm glad they turned Diana over to someone else.

I like Constantine. Yes, it could have been better but I liked the Peter Stormare as Lucifer.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
For me it's:

1. Conan the Barbarian (not on the list, but...)
2. Logan (We finally get to see him be the best at what he does. And it wasn't very nice).
3. 300
4. DeadPool
5. Watchmen
6. DeadPool 2

I haven't seen Joker, but I'm pretty "meh" about the rest on the list.

Edit: forgot Watchmen
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like the list hasn't been updated, venom is now #2. I enjoyed deadpool and venom the most, but I haven't seen joker yet.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

Well, I mean... His laugh is forced by his mental condition...

I liked it better the 2nd time I saw it. I had some reservations and confusion after the 1st time I saw it.
I saw Joker twice and really liked it both times.

1. Joker
2. Kingsman 1
3. Kingsman 2
4.Deadpool 1
5. Watchmen
6.Logan
7. 300
8. Deadpool 2
Unfortunately the others I have not seen.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@flanders Venom is PG-13
Post 14 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
your not alone, wife and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Took my grandson to see it, he liked it, I still thought it was blah 🤮
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Quote:
your not alone, wife and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Took my grandson to see it, he liked it, I still thought it was blah 🤮

My wife said the same thing.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@flanders Venom is PG-13

Haha good to know that makes more sense.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I thought Sin City would make the cut but at $158.8 million it falls short.

Post 18 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
For me it's:

1. Conan the Barbarian (not on the list, but...)
2. Logan (We finally get to see him be the best at what he does. And it wasn't very nice).
3. 300
4. DeadPool
5. Watchmen
6. DeadPool 2

I haven't seen Joker, but I'm pretty "meh" about the rest on the list.

Edit: forgot Watchmen

At $130 million, Conan also falls short.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974

At $130 million, Conan also falls short.

It's $183.7 adjusted for inflation Just barely out of the top 10.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
A little surprised kick ass didn’t make the list!

I think it’s Deadpool for me. The others were just ok. I wanted to like Logan, but it was predictable and didn’t hold my interest.

I’ve not seen Joker, but I’m hearing it’s basically taxi driver for millennials.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

I think it’s Deadpool for me. The others were just ok. I wanted to like Logan, but it was predictable and didn’t hold my interest.

I’ve not seen Joker, but I’m hearing it’s basically taxi driver for millennials.

Kick Ass made just under $100 million.

Bringing attention to Mark Millar and an omission from the top 10 list.

Wanted had a box office of just over $340 million and should be in 8th place on the list as it is based upon a Mark Millar comic published by Image.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I liked Sin City.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

Kick Ass made just under $100 million.

Bringing attention to Mark Millar and an omission from the top 10 list.

Wanted had a box office of just over $340 million and should be in 8th place on the list as it is based upon a Mark Millar comic published by Image.

Good catch! I liked it, but not as much as kick ass.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
300 was Synder's start to comic movies. He follows it up with Watchmen and thinks he has the secret to success. Dark, edgy, more dark, more edgy. Not every story needs to be dark and edgy. However, he chose to stay in the dark and edgy area when doing Superman. Gotta be different. He destroyed any hope of Clark being anything but the whinny crybaby his Superman films delivered to the audience.

I like Constantine. Yes, it could have been better but I liked the Peter Stormare as Lucifer.

You do realize that the Nolan Bros played a big part in Man of Steel, right? Off the success of the Dark Knight Trilogy? A dark and 'realistic' (as real as comic characters can be) take on the genre? Ring any bells?

Man of Steel was a take on modern 'what if Superman existed today'? And nailed it. He's not your dad's Superman who's existed for 75 years (at the time).

Oh, and Superman was perfectly in good spirits for Man of Steel, and did save lives. Despite just learning how to fly, meeting his dad's avatar and learning about his heritage, etc etc etc. It was an origin story.

P.S. Zack Snyder played a big part in Wonder Woman, too.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I wish Sin City were on there. I love the original.

https://youtu.be/Fl7JSYJNGmo
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

You do realize that the Nolan Bros played a big part in Man of Steel, right? Off the success of the Dark Knight Trilogy? A dark and 'realistic' (as real as comic characters can be) take on the genre? Ring any bells?

Man of Steel was a take on modern 'what if Superman existed today'? And nailed it. He's not your dad's Superman who's existed for 75 years (at the time).

Oh, and Superman was perfectly in good spirits for Man of Steel, and did save lives. Despite just learning how to fly, meeting his dad's avatar and learning about his heritage, etc etc etc. It was an origin story.

P.S. Zack Snyder played a big part in Wonder Woman, too.

As you stated he nailed a whinny, confused, sulking, and crybaby Superman in his films. Then continuing down the path you defend and seem to enjoy, i.e., darker/edgier, he cast Ben Affleck as Batman. So, the guy messed up Batman and Superman. He was the executive producer on the ultra hot mess Suicide Squad movie which I see you conveniently forgot to mention in your post. Yep, another feather in his cap.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
As you stated he nailed a whinny, confused, sulking, and crybaby Superman in his films. Then continuing down the path you defend and seem to enjoy, i.e., darker/edgier, he cast Ben Affleck as Batman. So, the guy messed up Batman and Superman. He was the executive producer on the ultra hot mess Suicide Squad movie which I see you conveniently forgot to mention in your post. Yep, another feather in his cap.

Lol you can't even provide a single example of these allegations, can you? I'm betting that you saw the movie(s) once, didn't like that it's not Superman from the 1940's, and have never watched with an open mind. That's really all you had to tell me.

He actually nailed The Dark Knight Returns. But, you either don't know about that series, or don't like it.

"Not my Superman" and "not my Batman" are not proper criticisms of these movies. Consider opening your mind.

Also, the higher-ups at WB along with the Director, threw out Snyder's map for Suicide Squad. His idea didn't have them going after Enchantress - rather, Enchantress was to be their 'Hulk' to defeat Steppenwolf and the Parademons prior to Justice League. The scene with Wayne meeting Waller is one of the only Snyder pieces that they kept.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer Rocketeer and The Phantom over Deadpool and Kingsmen personally
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I prefer Rocketeer and The Phantom over Deadpool and Kingsmen personally

True. I rewatched the Phantom a few weeks ago. It's a shame that franchise never took off. Then maybe we would have gotten a new flash Gordon movie and then a Defenders of the Earth teamup
Post 30 IP   flag post
600849 41 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?