Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

CBCS Re-holder Process/Potential Grade Change10507

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I have a comic I've listed at mycomicshop.com that I asked to be re-slabbed since there is very minor scuffing on the front and back of the case that I feel may make the comic less appealing since buyer's can't determine if the scratches are on the comic or the case. I wasn't under the impression that the grade would ever change unless there was a crack or substantial damage to the case.

Can someone please clarify if there is a potential for there to be a grade change during the reholder process. If so I'd prefer not to have my comic re-slabbed due to the potential for it to cost me several hundred dollars in a grade change although there is no possible way the comic was damaged due to the minor scuffing.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Normally a re-holder does not change the grade of a book.

If the inner well of a slab is compromised it is possible that the book has been damaged since grading.

If the slab has been compromised, the book will need to be re-graded.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
If the grade is above 9.0 I wouldn’t crack it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Re-Holdering is a separate process than regrading.

If the slab is cracked (as in the colloquial, fully opened), for example for a signature, or significantly damaged the book has to be regraded as if it were a whole new book.

If the slab is intact you can choose the re-holder service. This can be because the slab has minor damage (scuffs,cracks, scratches, etc) or maybe you want to have the book to get the current label. The book retains the same grade and serial number
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks everyone I was somewhat worried about the re-holder process but there is nothing other than some minor scratches to the slab.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder if the scratches on the slab could be buffed out, I know glass and some plastics can be buffed to remove scratches
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Wonder if the scratches on the slab could be buffed out, I know glass and some plastics can be buffed to remove scratches

NOVUS Plastic comes to mind..

https://www.novuspolish.com/index.html
Post 7 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
Quote:

seems it would be more cost effective than shipping reslabbing
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
Quote:

seems it would be more cost effective than shipping reslabbing

But who want's to test and make sure it will work? I know it works on computer acrylic case but not sure on Slabs.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have used it on slabs from the cgc. It was two steps, the polish and then the cleaner. It didn't seem to hurt them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I have used it on slabs from the cgc. It was two steps, the polish and then the cleaner. It didn't seem to hurt them.
what was the results
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
If its a simple re holder, you should be good!
As long as the case and book do not show any signs the grade is incorrect. you will be good. If the case is badly damaged, it will be evaluated to make sure the original grade still stands...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
what was the results

It was okay. It was shinier, but if the scratches are more than just superficial, then they will still be there.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@DrWatson thanks for the interest
Post 14 IP   flag post
I would reholder before I did it again. It wasn't a permanent solution.
Post 15 IP   flag post
597887 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?