Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help Needed

Dog-Ear Comic with 9.8 Rating10476

Collector ReCollecting private msg quote post Address this user
I recently received, via ebay purchase, a 9.8 comic book. Before I took off plastic bag over the case, I noticed a dog-ear on the bottom left corner (photos 1,2 and 4), slight damage on top left corner (photo 3) and what appears to be a piece of dust on the back cover (photo 5). It appears as if a piece of the comic fell off and is in the cover. I researched the topic but didn't have any luck determining if CBCS would grade a 9.8 to a book with a dog-ear. Any feedback would be greatly appreicated. All comments welcome including if I'm being too picky.

Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's a bindery tear. They are allowed in 9.8.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Whats the Book?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector crystalphoto private msg quote post Address this user
This is a fairly common occurrence with thicker books, and is allowed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Actually, according to Overstreet grading guide, 9.8:
BINDERY DEFECTS - Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. No bindery tears. Don't shoot the messenger. Nuff said.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think dog ear means what you think it means

Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Due to its thickness there may not be any copies of ASM # 800 without a bindery tear.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Due to its thickness there may not be any copies of ASM # 800 without a bindery tear.

This, a couple of thick-format publications over the last two years essentially had no copies without bindery tear. Overstreet is not the standard used by CBCS and CGC for 9.8.

Oh, but, I've actually sold a 9.8 with a slight bindery tear before and I put it in the description of the sale, indicating I did not assign the grade, but it passed a 9.8 with what I considered a major flaw. Standard caveat in the description about not being responsible for the grade the 3rd party assigned it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
@Etapi65, Thanks for clarifying Overstreet not used by CBCS or CGC. However, just my opinion, but if all copies of a particular comic have bindery tears then that comic should simply not have a grade that is borderline Mint. Just my 2 cents. Can I trouble you to share CBCS standards for grading a 9.8? Thanks. Nuff said.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
They don’t list there standards which would b nice so we know how each company grades but I understand why they don’t
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
@Etapi65, Thanks for clarifying Overstreet not used by CBCS or CGC. However, just my opinion, but if all copies of a particular comic have bindery tears then that comic should simply not have a grade that is borderline Mint. Just my 2 cents. Can I trouble you to share CBCS standards for grading a 9.8? Thanks. Nuff said.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I would never buy a 9.8 with a bindery tear and believe I got a 9.8. I was merely pointing out that Overstreet is not the basis of grading for the grading companies.
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Actually, according to Overstreet grading guide, 9.8:
BINDERY DEFECTS - Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. No bindery tears. Don't shoot the messenger. Nuff said.

I think they are treated more as printing defects and disregarded, at least by the cgc. I'm not sure about CBCS.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Each bindery tear, if not too large is only 0.1 deduction. Hard to see how big they really are with such magnification. Piece of dust, or whatever that is, is irrelevant.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector ReCollecting private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for all the responses. I'm good to go.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I just understand it as a simple business decision

Grading companies dropping grade for a consistent defect on a specific issue = less of that issue being submitted for grading and less $ value for said grading ..

Ignoring the defect let's paying speculators send in their not so mint books with a chance of still getting a 9.8 intact .
Post 15 IP   flag post
598082 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?