Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and Conservation

Amateur Conservation?10468

Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Help me out here folks. I'm hoping @shrewbeer will chime in. How can we tag a book both "Conserved" and "Amateur"?? The terms are contradictory. Over at CGC, by their rules, all Conserved books are technically a subset of Restoration level A-1.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Restored books are to make the appearance of a book better, conservation is to preserve a book, not the enhance the appearance (tear seals, staples replaced, staples reinforced etc)
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@TommyJasmin hey hows things? I haven’t been very active outside of FB this year, should probably spend some time poking around Nostomania to see what you guys have been up to!

I would agree with @Batman66 on this one. That seems to be the excepted definition, so I’m not sure what CGC is thinking if they are claiming that all conservation is done by a pro 🤔
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@

I would agree with @Batman66 on this one. That seems to be the excepted definition, so I’m not sure what CGC is thinking if they are claiming that all conservation is done by a pro 🤔

They don't but conservation jobs done by amateurs will be considered restoration
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I look at like this. Let's take a vintage muscle car as an example and I'm an amature or a professional, it doesn't matter.

My muscle car has a snapped axle. I weld it back together. In my opinion I have conserved the car.

Same snapped axle but I seek to find a new one and replace it. in my opinion I've restored the car.

Restoration is an attempt to cosmetically improve the look of a book.

Conservation is an attempt to stop or slow the degradation of a book (usually from a structural prespective).

Admittedly, sometimes there's some overlap.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@

They don't but conservation jobs done by amateurs will be considered restoration

That makes sense. Good motivation for people to leave it to the professionals
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks guys, good commentary and analogies. FYI here is the CGC def page I was referring to, assuming I'm allowed to post. Of interest is the wording:

All conserved grades must satisfy the CGC quality scale of "A" and quantity scale of "1".

So basically everything y'all covered except as @poka alluded they won't call it Conservation with a capital C unless they deem it pro work.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Restored books are to make the appearance of a book better, conservation is to preserve a book, not the enhance the appearance (tear seals, staples replaced, staples reinforced etc)

Ok, @Batman66, sounds good with the minor caveat that while the intent of conservation is to preserve the book, some of these modifications do in fact improve the appearance of the book, hence a bit of grey area. Thanks for chiming in.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Sooooo...would 'spanks' be amateur conservation but a tummy tuck is pro restoration???
Post 9 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics

Tummy tuck is taking away. I think restoration is more akin to taking a razor blade and freeing the fat like a pillsbury premade biscuits when you remove the outer label and it "pops"

However, I could be wrong....
Post 10 IP   flag post
600645 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?