Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Advice Needed For Next Purchase10465

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@daywalker HA!!! That's a great choice no matter how you slice it!!

That was a great episode by the way!!!!
Post 51 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town
Do you have a specific book you were thinking of?
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
given the price level he is around or could attain with another thousand one could buy a lower end BB 28 for instance...super key, rare, highly sought after and perhaps one of the most stunning covers ever done for the silver age.....at that price range you could also go for a Decent showcase 22, or even a Green lantern 1...another amazing silver age cover, and book. Hawkman 4 still has strong legs and you could get a high end copy for those numbers....Flash 110 is another book that comes to mind...rare, gorgeous cover, and first kid flash.
JIM 103 is always a favorite, if you can score a higher grade copy...underpriced, tough to find in higher grades due to the pastels used on the cover art, and possible movie tie in

A lot has to depend on if the idea is investment, rarity, or key impact...but hard to find a book with more impact than B@B 28 as it preceded even the Fanatastic Four in ushering in the silver age.

I also suggest a low issue group of wonder woman comics in line with the upcoming movie, as her first 20-30 issues will see another huge surge as the movie release approaches rather quickly next year...in particular Cheetah appearances, although I dont think they will be using the golden age cheetah. Buy one, hold it till the movie, release and realize the profit and move further up the the grail chain
Post 53 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town

Thank you.

I have some of the above books you mentioned. I was considering letting go of some of them. However, if they still have growing potential I'm sincerely glad I didnt ditch them.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I might have to side with @Darkseid_of_town on this. If your going to go halfway, might as well go ALL IN!

Just as soon as I get educated on what BB #28 is?

If I had to choose between the three listed I think I would opted for the Daredevil #1

Not that I can afford any of the books being discussed in this thread
Post 55 IP   flag post

Brave and the bold 28
1st justice league

If you think the first list was expensive. You should see @Darkseid_of_town tastes.....

I dont have enough organs for some of those

For clarification, the. Copies I do have are lower grade.
Post 56 IP   flag post

Brave and Bold 28, first appearance of the Justice League of America, issued in march 1960...predates fantastic four 1 and was likely the inspiration for Marvel to begin with a team oriented super hero team.

MCS for instance has a 3.5 for 2470....a 4.5 for 3349 ….hard to imagine a more rare, significant and beautiful silver age book …..unless you look to the silver age marvel keys that are all exponentially more expensive in similar lower grades.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
SC 4 is rare dc silver age book
Post 58 IP   flag post
problem with showcase 4 is that it is cost prohibitive compared to the amount he is considering.... .5 GPA cost is 3800 if you move up to 3.0 range its ten thousand give or take...which takes it out of the comparative price range he is targeting
Post 59 IP   flag post
True. A SC 22 wouldn’t b a bad pickup at that range either
Post 60 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

Brave and Bold 28, first appearance of the Justice League of America, issued in march 1960...predates fantastic four 1 and was likely the inspiration for Marvel to begin with a team oriented super hero team.

MCS for instance has a 3.5 for 2470....a 4.5 for 3349 ….hard to imagine a more rare, significant and beautiful silver age book …..unless you look to the silver age marvel keys that are all exponentially more expensive in similar lower grades.

Im going to have to re-think my opinion in regards to moving up to a bigger Key book. While that Brave/Bold book is absolutely Super cool, I would be more likely to spend my money on the Silver age Marvel side.

I just think Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern are second tier character's against Marvels Spiderman, FF, X-Men, Avengers, which is likely why those Marvel silver age keys are exponentially more expensive.

Without question I would love to own that Brave/Bold #28 book, but if I was going to drop 3500 on a book I would more than likely be willing to go 5G for a Marvel Book.
Post 61 IP   flag post
I think what hurt DC are the crappy movies they put out besides WW
Post 62 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
If you were to add "restored" and "PGX" to your search criteria you could probably end your quandary and own all 3 by the end of the year. Other than that, I agree with the previous recommendation to be patient and see which one pops up at a significantly differentiated price by the end of the year. Still love that FF 2 though. I've come to realize that I'm a sucker for yellow covers for some reason.
Post 63 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

Im going to have to re-think my opinion in regards to moving up to a bigger Key book. While that Brave/Bold book is absolutely Super cool, I would be more likely to spend my money on the Silver age Marvel side.

I just think Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern are second tier character's against Marvels Spiderman, FF, X-Men, Avengers, which is likely why those Marvel silver age keys are exponentially more expensive.

Without question I would love to own that Brave/Bold #28 book, but if I was going to drop 3500 on a book I would more than likely be willing to go 5G for a Marvel Book.

lol wut

I mean, factually, Justice League has never been as big as Spider-Man. The rest, though? Lol.
Post 64 IP   flag post
I think everyone has their unique take on things and I think that's part of the fun of collecting but a thing to remember about flash, wonder woman, aquaman, green lantern, is they can hardly be considered second tier to anyone..the original versions of these characters, much like superman were created back during the 40's and they have remained in comic book lore since...that makes Marvels characters the new kids on the block and still earning their allowance.Justice League came before Fantastic four 1, and was often suggested it was due to that book that Marvel began with a team book of their own....
If there is something to be said for watching as time passes through the hobby, it would be the ability to remember the late eighties...Supermans fiftieth brought a blockbuster movie, followed in 1989 by the Batman movie, which at that time was the biggest event we could have hoped for...Lois and Clark, Smallville, the Flash tv series, DC was on a roll....they will find their way back there by accident or design sooner or later and take their best with them. Buying a DC book is a move for something that is coming, rather than what is already here..is all
Final point....start tracking those census figures....Fantastic Four 1 around 2200 copies...Brave and Bold 28...barely half that , or around 1100 last time I checked. There appear to be two copies of any Marvel Grail to each DC in similar grade ...you can do that with most of the earlier DC silver age keys...they are not as common as their marvel counterparts, and especially tough to find in higher grades....also many silver DC books seem to suffer that lose staple, staple pull, centerfold detached thing.
Most historians begin the silver age, not with Stan lee and the Marvel juggernaut, but with the publication of Showcase 4, and the re-invented flash...who would soon be followed by Atom, Green Lantern , as well as updated versions of superman, Batman and so many others.Those books dropped into a comic book scene still reeling from the onslaught of the "Seduction of the innocent "hearings and are some of the tougher books to score in decent shape for silver age keys
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
If you were to add "restored" and "PGX" to your search criteria you could probably end your quandary and own all 3 by the end of the year. Other than that, I agree with the previous recommendation to be patient and see which one pops up at a significantly differentiated price by the end of the year. Still love that FF 2 though. I've come to realize that I'm a sucker for yellow covers for some reason.
there was a study I read that yellow and red covers draw the most interest in comic covers
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I'm going to think about it this way...

Can you get Batman 121 for less later?

Marvel books are so hot right now.

These are really tough choices, but I think I'd go for Daredevil 1. It's the first appearance of so many characters, and it's just going to keep going up.

Batman 121: DC is so much on the decline that I wonder if you can grab it for 35 percent less if you wait a year.

The Skrulls I think is a red herring. It would a nice book to have, but have any other Marvel books with the first appearance of alien race really become "keys?" They might have, but I can't recall any off the top of my head.

Now, to Bronte's point, you have been aiming for that one, so maybe grab it?
I think Daredevil stays attainable for a while, too.

I don't have near the experience of everyone else here, so take my opinion with a grain...no, make that pound of salt.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@daywalker Holy crap!

Nice haul there.
Post 68 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie

Everyone has an opinion. The point is to listen close and see how you can learn from it. You may not agree, bit it's funny how some folks makes you think outside of the box.
Post 69 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
there was a study I read that yellow and red covers draw the most interest in comic covers

Then orange covers should do fantastic.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Colors have been known to elicit emotions for a while.

They say red and yellow are worst sports car colors due to speed traps noticing them more than neutral colors.

(Although I have not seen the statistics on that though)

I will say sky blue was color of choice in psych ward.

Nothing like the calm of a sky blue to tamp down emotions...

=)
Post 71 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
"DC 'so much' on the decline?"

lol wut

Le sigh.

Red's associated with speed. What's yellow associated with?
Post 72 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Red's associated with speed. What's yellow associated with?

Yellow can be associated with joy or happiness, while sometimes also being associated with cowardice such as a "yellow belly" person.
Post 73 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
...and mustard.
Post 74 IP   flag post
https://comicsalliance.com/superhero-color-theory-primary-heroes/

Not sure how psychologically accurate, but if seems somewhat reasonable
Post 75 IP   flag post
So GAC u figure out what the hell u r buying yet lol
Post 76 IP   flag post
U been wanting that Batman for a long time. I’d say that’s ur book to buy
Post 77 IP   flag post
@Steverogers11 Haven't decided yet. All make compelling arguments. These 3 books have been on my radar for sometime so the question really is, which is the 1st to be purchased? One will be purchased in the coming weeks I'd say. I might wait for Black Friday if there's deals to be had. I think all 3 candidates are winners. It might just come down to which book has the best deal.

I'll definitely keep you up to date when it happens. I'm sure it'll show up on the New To Your Collection thread.
Post 78 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
ALIENS WANT ALL OF EARTH'S AMMONIA
Post 79 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC go with the Batman mate. You have the avi so you'd love to get that book. Just do it. Many years ago I bought the FF 4 because I love the Sub-mariner character. At the time I could have ponied up another $200 and bought the 5 first Dr Doom. Investment wise that would have been the better option. But I like the subby character and bought it instead and I've never double guessed my decision and still love the book.
So if your heart's set on it go for it.
Always collect what you love and you'll never be disappointed.
Or option 2 keep a eye out and when the first of the three books appears on your radar for condition and price pull the trigger.
Just bear in mind FFs are hot in the first five issues so speculation and collectors putting off purchasing are jumping in before prices continue to rise.
Daredevil is more plentiful so page quality and overall appearance is the key for so many available.
And the Batman not too many as the other two. Maybe not as much in demand as the others but limited supply might mean way more difficult to get the book you'd be comfortable with.
Good luck with the hunt. 👍
Post 80 IP   flag post
600839 96 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?