Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Advice Needed For Next Purchase10465

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte no need to apologize. These 3 books are all on my radar and have been for a while. I'm definitely leaning toward Batman 121 but it's always prudent to seek advice from knowledgable collectors.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@GAC

I'm really sorry.

Know any us citizens with deep pockets that you can trust?

It just sold for $1300. I took a peek and thought it looked decent, but that stain on top that went all the way through would have been a deal breaker for me.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a couple of 2.5s of other books that that look pretty decent. CBCS pulled my CGC hulk 181 2.0 to a 2.5. So there might be some possibility for improvement. Granted the wait is horrendous, but you cant dispute results.

In response to your question.

4.0 cgc
5.0 cgc
5.0 cgc
6.0 cgc

All 4 books was a bit over a grand back in the day...

Nice pickups man!
Post 28 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@daywalker

Holy crap....

Hoe the hell did they ship that?
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC

Scratch my name off the list. I'm prolly the least knowledgeable person here.

I'm still entertained by pretty pictures with no words.....
Post 30 IP   flag post

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I don't believe that for a second!
Post 31 IP   flag post
@daywalker
I bought 2 long boxes from ebay. Yes that's how he shipped it. I've fished out about 3 keys that paid for the books and a ton more to go through dude was a serious bat fan. Batman, catwoman, huntress, etc... 397 books total
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC of the 3 I have 2 of them in my collection. In order I would choose DD1, FF2, BM 121. I believe DD1 has the most to gain. FF2 is more difficult to get but Skrulls already been introduced to the MCU. BM 121 is a nice book and I i one day hope to own.

Mr freeze might be a significant villain, but most likely he will be a one-off.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@GAC

Lol. You shoulda seen my half asleep question on the mcfarlane thread the other night. Felt like a lazy ass.....

@esaravo

I didnt look too closely at it, but yeah stains are nasty. Especially if you cant identify the source. Asking a seller to blacklight a book is asking a lot....
Post 34 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - Which one would I choose? For me, it would probably be the DD #1, because I have a #4 and a #5 - but then I would have to get a #2 and #3. It is the newest and most plentiful (by far), but would probably also be the easiest of the three to sell if I wanted (who doesn’t want a #1). If you are actively collecting Batman and first appearances of his villains, I would get the Batman #121 (rarest and oldest). And you really couldn’t go wrong with the FF #2 either, 2nd issue of the first Marvel Age title, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Hell, buy all three!
Post 35 IP   flag post
I would think after the surprising success of the joker, DC will be trying to emulate that success. Mr freeze was only the first rumor. Two face is another possibility.

Chances are they will try too hard though and screw it up. Although I pray I'm wrong on freeze.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@esaravo

Good point. Sell soul. Buy all 3!!!

dont you have a first born, @GAC ?
Post 37 IP   flag post
@Bronte Ha! I do...but I'd rather sell the comics I'm not attached to, to finance this purchase.

@esaravo That's the eventual outcome...just might take a little time.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
@daywalker

Holy crap....

Hoe the hell did they ship that?

In like 4 large boxes! It was like Christmas!!!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I started the thread thinking I would choose the DD1. I ended it realizing if it were my money I would buy FF 2. Finally watched Spider-man Far from Home last week and saw that the Skrulls are firmly a part of the ongoing MCU. They can show up anywhere, at any time...be anyone. I've collected villain first appearances for a while but never thought of Mr. Freeze as all that significant a villian...which is probably why I never considered paying the required price. The book may also be currently riding a speculation high. Daredevil 1 is so much more commonly found, I would have a hard time paying the same price for the same grade. I also think DD1 is about a popular as it's ever going to be. Batman 121 and FF 2 have room to grow in popularity...in fact I think I will start looking for an FF2!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Skrulls won't matter once the Big G goes all FF #257 on them in the Living Eraser film or whatever D list character gets their own film now.

For real, though. I would go FF 2. More room for growth with all the movie crap. Mr Freeze, while cool (no pun intended), will probably be a one off character in a film.
Post 41 IP   flag post

Post 42 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Daredevil #1.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Thank you to all who posted!!
Post 44 IP   flag post
Going to keep us in suspense?
Post 45 IP   flag post
@Bronte LOL!! Haven't decided yet. All make compelling arguments. These 3 books have been on my radar for sometime so the question really is, which is the 1st to be purchased? One will be purchased in the coming weeks I'd say. I might wait for Black Friday if there's deals to be had. I think all 3 candidates are winners. It might just come down to which book has the best deal.

I'll definitely keep you up to date when it happens. I'm sure it'll show up on the New To Your Collection thread.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC just keep a watch on all three books, when a good deal comes by on any of the books, maybe you might score more than one of the books on the list, sometimes great deals are out there and let that be the determining factor on which book to get
Post 47 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I would opt for FF #2. First Skrulls plus it's a pre-costume issue.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Pick what you like! No one is trying to persuade you or anything!

Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldnt buy any of the three choices..given the amount of money. I would add a thousand or so more and move into a serious key grail level book, over a 2nd tier one. So close and at such a high price..why not really buy something key?
Post 50 IP   flag post
@daywalker HA!!! That's a great choice no matter how you slice it!!

That was a great episode by the way!!!!
Post 51 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town
Do you have a specific book you were thinking of?
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
given the price level he is around or could attain with another thousand one could buy a lower end BB 28 for instance...super key, rare, highly sought after and perhaps one of the most stunning covers ever done for the silver age.....at that price range you could also go for a Decent showcase 22, or even a Green lantern 1...another amazing silver age cover, and book. Hawkman 4 still has strong legs and you could get a high end copy for those numbers....Flash 110 is another book that comes to mind...rare, gorgeous cover, and first kid flash.
JIM 103 is always a favorite, if you can score a higher grade copy...underpriced, tough to find in higher grades due to the pastels used on the cover art, and possible movie tie in

A lot has to depend on if the idea is investment, rarity, or key impact...but hard to find a book with more impact than B@B 28 as it preceded even the Fanatastic Four in ushering in the silver age.

I also suggest a low issue group of wonder woman comics in line with the upcoming movie, as her first 20-30 issues will see another huge surge as the movie release approaches rather quickly next year...in particular Cheetah appearances, although I dont think they will be using the golden age cheetah. Buy one, hold it till the movie, release and realize the profit and move further up the the grail chain
Post 53 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

Thank you.

I have some of the above books you mentioned. I was considering letting go of some of them. However, if they still have growing potential I'm sincerely glad I didnt ditch them.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I might have to side with @Darkseid_of_town on this. If your going to go halfway, might as well go ALL IN!

Just as soon as I get educated on what BB #28 is?

If I had to choose between the three listed I think I would opted for the Daredevil #1

Not that I can afford any of the books being discussed in this thread
Post 55 IP   flag post
600816 96 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?