Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeSigning Opportunities

Todd McFarlane10455

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige31
I got my grades back and I am pumped

I think we need to see some pics then.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Well, we are up to 241 "Todd McFarlane signed CGC" books on eBay.
Post 177 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
One day I'll look to see how many were actually sold. It doesn't look like a tremendous amount so far.

Maybe people are getting smart. Purchase a comic that had a million print run (Spawn 1, Spider-man 1) for a few bucks, then slab for $89 OR purchase someone's submission for $299. Hmmm... I can't figure out which one makes more financial sense.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I will when I get them in hand or the guy that pressed them gets them!
Post 179 IP   flag post
Collector Yoosh5492 private msg quote post Address this user
McFarlane posted a video saying he has signed so many spawn 1's that the unsigned ones will be more rare. LOL!
Post 180 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoosh5492
McFarlane posted a video saying he has signed so many spawn 1's that the unsigned ones will be more rare. LOL!

He's probably only half joking... lol.
I haven't seen any Newsstand versions of Spawn 1 signed by him though. I thought for sure folks were holding on to them for an opportunity like this.
Post 181 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 mine's still sitting in a box. Having never met him, I'd prefer to have my first signature(s) in person rather than through the mail.
Post 182 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@Nuffsaid111 mine's still sitting in a box. Having never met him, I'd prefer to have my first signature(s) in person rather than through the mail.

Yep... I understand. Mine is actually already signed by him. I've met him a half dozen times or so in NY. I'll have to go Red Label one day I suppose.
Post 183 IP   flag post
Four days ago there were 134 "Todd McFarlane signed CGC" books on eBay. As of this morning, there are 261 "Todd McFarlane signed CGC" books on eBay. Jumped 127 books in 4 days. The wave is starting and picking up speed.

Anyone want to guess what the number will be in:

1 day
3 days
1 week

We could give away no-prizes to the closest without going over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I haven't seen any Newsstand versions of Spawn 1 signed by him though.

There is an auction for a 9.8 one (Item # 124049973035) that is at $511.00 and a 9.6 graded one (Item # 223871130741) that just started at $ 250.00.
Post 184 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
There is an auction for a 9.8 one (Item # 124049973035) that is at $511.00 and a 9.6 graded one (Item # 223871130741) that just started at $ 250.00.

Watching both. The 1st at $511 is from 2016.
Post 185 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater - Sounds like an exponential growth curve. It can’t last very long, because even comics (sales) have a carrying capacity.
Post 186 IP   flag post
@esaravo It would be interesting to see if sales prices react the way Frank Miller yellow labels did after he started signing/sketching/remarking and a large number hit eBay. The prices went down after the people seeking them bought what they wanted. You could pick up Batman sketches for way less than all the cost associated in getting a yellow slab for awhile. I picked up several Miller remarked Batman books less than 150.00 in auctions, and 1 Batman and 1 Wolverine sketched cover for less than 500.00 each. The prices have kind of rebounded though but they aren't selling at a high pace anymore.

I wonder if Todd sketched any to be graded this time around and what they will sell for if he did any?
Post 187 IP   flag post
At shows, he sketches for the 1st person in line often.
I wonder if he did a remark on the 1st book plopped down in front of him of the 17,000. Hmmmmmm
Post 188 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Yep... I understand. Mine is actually already signed by him. I've met him a half dozen times or so in NY. I'll have to go Red Label one day I suppose.

Sold my 9.2 signed by him the other day but it s
Is from 2018 still waiting on my 2020
Post 189 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Four days ago there were 134 "Todd McFarlane signed CGC" books on eBay. As of this morning, there are 261 "Todd McFarlane signed CGC" books on eBay. Jumped 127 books in 4 days. The wave is starting and picking up speed.

You may have mentioned this before, but of the 261 CGC books you see up on eBay, are all 261 one from the recent signing or a total of signed TM CGC books on eBay in general? If it's 261 from the recent signing I still feel that is a very small number. If it was in fact 17,000 books, 10% would be 1700 so it would be about 1.5% of them on eBay. Sure there are people still waiting on their orders but a week has passed since people starting getting them so it appears, at least anyways, most people are holding on to them, at least from an eBay perspective. Hard to say what the number will be like in a few days or a few weeks, say even a month from now when more than likely everyone will have their orders back but I am going to guess we see the number stay well below 10% of the number he signed at the event.
Post 190 IP   flag post
@teacha777 Since I finally came down off the grading fence and have done two submissions through CBCS so far, I am waiting to send all of my TM signed books in until the new case debuts in March, and after I sell my house and move. I don't mind that they will be red label, I realize ultimately some may prefer a yellow label but a red label is more than enough for people to be happy with, I just don't have any plans to sell mine despite having a fairly good amount of stuff that Todd signed for me but its the memories associated with the signings that kind of go with the books for me so I want to keep as long as possible.

What book was 9.2 that you sold and were you pleased with what you got?
Post 191 IP   flag post
In 11 hours we jumped to 297 "Todd McFarlane signed CGC" books on eBay. Up 36 from this morning.
Post 192 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if we could also be seeing people trying to dump their books before the market floods.@Kinsella5 brings up an interesting point about seeing when the books were signed. IMO I do not think anyone has the time for that......if anyone does my hat goes off to you.
Post 193 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
19 were listed on the 23rd; 32 listed on the 24th; 61 listed on the 25th. Looks like the new ones are starting to hit in earnest.
Post 194 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

It's very confusing how a signature has increased a $90 book to a $275 one.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
At shows, he sketches for the 1st person in line often.
I wonder if he did a remark on the 1st book plopped down in front of him of the 17,000. Hmmmmmm

17,000 books in a few days?! Jeeze, that's probably as many books as CBCS did all of last year.
Post 196 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
I wonder if we could also be seeing people trying to dump their books before the market floods.@Kinsella5 brings up an interesting point about seeing when the books were signed. IMO I do not think anyone has the time for that......if anyone does my hat goes off to you.

I only said that because Towmater is monitoring them on eBay, which I am not knocking, but since he is keeping an eye on eBay and updating here, perhaps he has checked how many are pre-signing event compared to ones being signed from the event itself. As Ted stated it appears 112 of the have been posted since the 23rd of this month, and more appear it seems every day, but still the number of them up on eBay is quite small compared to what he signed but that could change within a week or two. I still have a feeling many of them aren't making their way up on eBay and staying in people's collection....for now that is.
Post 197 IP   flag post
Quote:

Precisely my point.
I did submit books because I knew 90 would become 275. I also knew people would not submit and then purchase the 275 because of laziness.
Voila!
I think the lesson is we have to depend on people being lazy, misinformed, and just plain not all there so that the ones that aren't lazy, misinformed, and are somewhat there can reap the rewards.
Post 198 IP   flag post
320 "Todd McFarlane signed CGC" books on eBay as of this morning. I haven't bothered to add in the ones that have sold in any of my posts. Sales aren't really that brisk. For example, yesterday 2 sold, 3 on the 24th, 2 on the 23rd, 3 on the 22nd...but they are steady.
Post 199 IP   flag post
Sounds like price resistance to me.
320 signed books; 2 or 3 sales daily
Post 200 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5
@teacha777 Since I finally came down off the grading fence and have done two submissions through CBCS so far, I am waiting to send all of my TM signed books in until the new case debuts in March, and after I sell my house and move. I don't mind that they will be red label, I realize ultimately some may prefer a yellow label but a red label is more than enough for people to be happy with, I just don't have any plans to sell mine despite having a fairly good amount of stuff that Todd signed for me but its the memories associated with the signings that kind of go with the books for me so I want to keep as long as possible.

What book was 9.2 that you sold and were you pleased with what you got?

It was Spawn 1 newsstand I bought it raw off eBay thought it was going to be at least a 9.4, but I still made a profit so I am not mad....
Post 201 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Precisely my point.
I did submit books because I knew 90 would become 275. I also knew people would not submit and then purchase the 275 because of laziness.
Voila!
I think the lesson is we have to depend on people being lazy, misinformed, and just plain not all there so that the ones that aren't lazy, misinformed, and are somewhat there can reap the rewards.

I sold a 9.6 direct for 300 but that was before the announcement, McFarlane sig sell, so do Jim Lee. A lot of the new guys charging aren’t really worth it atm, at least to send to a third party for signing where you get charged twice....

The practice of not being able to get a yellow label just because the creator said so needs to stop IMO, price differences for graded and non graded need to stop. At least Neal Adams charges everyone a ridiculous amount lol
Post 202 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Kudos to @Tedsaid for digging into the details. The next 6 months will be interesting.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Everyone of those spawns I sold had newton rings so I was great full to get them off my hands lol
Post 204 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Everyone of those spawns I sold had newton rings so I was great full to get them off my hands lol

Yes, apparently the latest CGC method of avoiding Newton rings is to scour the slab a bit, to prevent the optical interaction between the inner and outer plastic. As a consequence, a lot of my listings at MCS are listed with some variation of the following: "Scuffing on front of case; Scuffing to inner well of case."
Post 205 IP   flag post
600893 346 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?