Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeSigning Opportunities

Todd McFarlane10455

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Is anyone concerned that 17,000 new Todd McFarlane signatures might affect the Supply/Demand equilibrium of the market? I'm sure most are for personal collections, but if the hope is to profit from these signings, I would suggest getting to market sooner rather than later.

Be sure that I'll be looking at the census shortly, by month, to see the increases in numbers of SS books on typical issues
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Is anyone concerned that 17,000 new Todd McFarlane signatures might affect the Supply/Demand equilibrium of the market? I'm sure most are for personal collections, but if the hope is to profit from these signings, I would suggest getting to market sooner rather than later.

Not particularly. He usually only does 2 cgc signings a year max. He did this past huge signing with CGC because he has not done any cgc in a few years (maybe 2yrs??). I personally see this signing as a 2yr backlog. Or is he going to fund his spawn movie off of signings (joking).

He does however do a lot of free signing at cons if you have a non press, non exhibitor badge.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Up to 207 listings under "Todd McFarlane Signed CGC" comics on eBay. Up 7 in less than 16 hours. 2 9.8 signed books were sold yesterday by cgc9.8comics in Kihei, Hawaii. They were both signed on 1-15-20.

eBay listing # 193306027461 and # 193306022606. The first was a Spiderman #1 Gold @ $205.50, and the second was a Spiderman #1 @ 174.50.

(How the heck does a book get signed on 1-15-20, get graded, get slabbed, get shipped to Hawaii in 4 days?????????????? Both listings went up on 1-19-20).
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Up to 207 listings under "Todd McFarlane Signed CGC" comics on eBay. Up 7 in less than 16 hours. 2 9.8 signed books were sold yesterday by cgc9.8comics in Kihei, Hawaii. They were both signed on 1-15-20.(How the heck does a book get signed on 1-15-20, get graded, get slabbed, get shipped to Hawaii in 4 days?????????????? Both listings went up on 1-19-20).

I honestly don't think it should be a surprise to anyone that some people were getting them to flip, more power to those who had that as their end goal but also to those who wanted to get some of their own books signed to keep in their collection. With 17,000 books to sign, I am actually surprised there aren't a lot more than the few hundred up on eBay currently. Also not everyone uses eBay, there also could be shops that had them signed and graded for display in their store, to sell, etc. But a few hundred on eBay is really nothing that I personally will affect the value with regards to the market being flooded. Now, if there were thousands and thousands of books popping up on eBay, it would have a reverse affect, sellers would all compete with each other by lowering their prices to get the quick sale. In that case it becomes more of a buyers market because of all the competition so if you are a buyer, in many ways you want more of them hitting eBay, etc. What I am more impressed with is Todd cranking out that many signatures over the course of a few days, but Todd has always been determined and dedicated especially for his fans, that I saw in him many many years ago when I would hang out with him at his store.

With regards to the seller in Hawaii, no one but the seller knows what type of return shipping they paid for. Maybe they decided to spend the maximum allowed for the fastest shipping, or perhaps they have access to a FedEx account that doesn't cost them personally anything to have packages shipped to them. There is a seller on eBay that doesn't deal in comics, they offer stuff for around $3 Buy it Now and throw in free FedEx Next Day Air shipping. Yes, for a $3 item. Makes sense? No, but they have access to an account that lets them get away with it, because in the end, a company they work for is paying the shipping costs, not the actual seller.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I've got a mail order signed spawn #15 direct from image comics back in the daay that is wobbly enough looks like his personal assistant may have done it .. I certainly wouldn't send it for verification .With a yellow label being applied regardless, he doesn't need to be neat.

You should post up a photo of your signed Spawn #15 I am sure some here would chime in with their opinions on the signature. Remember Todd's signature has gone through changes, early on in the late 80's and early 90's he was signing "T. McFarlane" but quite clear and bold. When he was signing his Spider-Man #1 issues with the red spider-stamp on back and also copies without the stamp, his signature appeared much tighter, and generally was found under the price/issue number box on the upper left side. Since then his signature has been one of the nicest and boldest one out there, with him taking the time to sign out his whole name clearly. I had a few items that he even signed Todd "Webs" McFarlane as he was nicknamed that during his Spider-Man days. Don't assume your signed book isn't legit because it very well could be authentic, and the nice thing with CBCS is you can have it authenticated and get the red label should you choose too down the road. :-)
Post 155 IP   flag post

@Kinsella5 You answer seems to indicate that it was about shipping speed. If Todd was signing them in FL then it took less than 3 days to sign the books, grade the books, slab them, package them, and get them to whatever shipper to get them on their way for an overnight shipment from FL to Hawaii. I'm amazed at that speed. That has to do with the wait times that people generally go through for books to be graded, slabbed, and shipped. It is interesting that books can get that type of service when the grading companies want to provide it.
Post 156 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Up to 207 listings under "Todd McFarlane Signed CGC" comics on eBay. Up 7 in less than 16 hours. 2 9.8 signed books were sold yesterday by cgc9.8comics in Kihei, Hawaii. They were both signed on 1-15-20.

eBay listing # 193306027461 and # 193306022606. The first was a Spiderman #1 Gold @ $205.50, and the second was a Spiderman #1 @ 174.50.

(How the heck does a book get signed on 1-15-20, get graded, get slabbed, get shipped to Hawaii in 4 days?????????????? Both listings went up on 1-19-20).

Its possible that a friend in Florida picked up the books, took photos and they are listed under an account in Hawaii, they could be shipping from Florida not Hawaii.
Post 157 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Kinsella5 do you know the source of the 17,000 number? I find it hard to get my head around. With some pressing and shipping both ways it would mean the industry likely spent close to $2.2 million on McFarlane signatures. Also what does a short box hold, maybe 150 boarded books? That would be 113 short boxes of 150 books each. If it's correct, I hope somebody caught the scope of it on film.
Post 158 IP   flag post
@Towmater From what I read, as soon as Todd signed a book, it would be graded, slabbed and shipped out. It could be that the guy in Hawaii for example was one of the first books to be signed/graded/slabbed and then shipped out. If, just for example, that the order shipped that day or even the next day, via Priority Mail to Hawaii would get there in two to three days. The seller could have taken the images the very same day he got them. Or maybe if the seller opted for a Next Day Air delivery he/she would have them before the 19th. Clearly they wanted to get the books graded and shipped out right away. I believe I read that Todd was signing from about 7am to 11pm or so each day.

Also what Homer stated above could also be the case too, a friend picked them up in Florida, took the photos and shipping for the seller in Hawaii.
Post 159 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller The source was Todd's wife, she had confirmed online to people who were speculating the number of books that were submitted for the signing. Some thought it was going to be a few thousand to several thousand, but she came out and said "17,000" so I have to assume that was the number.

Todd did post a photo during the signing of him crouching between rows of short boxes of comics, if for some reason the number changes I am sure someone will post but I have to assume the number his wife quoted was accurate. :-)
Post 160 IP   flag post
@Kinsella5 You seem to have missed the point of my posts. CGC sent how many employees to 1) grade, 2) slab, 3) prep and pack books for shipment in order to get the flow of comics out that are being sent out? That's at least 3 or 4 right there. Again, I'm amazed at how fast a slabbing company can be when they desire to be fast in their turn-a-round times. (That's the point of my posts).

Also, if one grader and one slabber was pulled from their jobs how much does Todd's amount of books translate into a delay for books already in the pipe-line that have been waiting to be graded? I've no idea how fast a grader can grade a comic and how fast someone who is slabbing books can slab them. Just curious.
Post 161 IP   flag post
I'm curious to know who would purchase the graded, signed books now that they are exponentially more than the total for you submitting on your own with the signing? Yes, certainly onsies and twosies here and there for the issue you don't have.
But If you had the opportunity approx 2.5 months ago to submit whatever you wanted, so why on earth would you be looking to purchase now 2.5 months later for the prices people are asking? $299 for 9.8 Spawn 1? I could have submitted 3 books with an expectation that at least one would come back 9.8 for $299 (and be left with the residual 2 9.6's for resell for a fair amount)

It's like Twilight Zone. Are folks just that lost sometimes and not in the know or paying attention? Let's be honest with ourselves - 9.8's on Modern books just isn't that hard. It really isn't.
Post 162 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I got my books yesterday. I got one 9.8, one 9.6, two 9.4 and one 9.2. Books were pressed before going to CGC. Worst thing? I thought they rushed the work and there are NO graders notes except for one 9.4 book. The one that got notes says light spine stress lines to cover, so how the F... does the book get stress lines that don't break color if the book was pressed prior to the signing???? I talked with a friend and he says that CGC is not even posting Grader's Notes for 7.0 on some of his books. They make extra money charging for graders notes and they are not even doing that anymore!
Post 163 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Alot of people are just lazy. They want it signed sealed and done for them ...impulse buying. Some also lack the eye or physical coordination transportation or other means to send their own..a small percentage I am sure but still
Post 164 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Alot of people are just lazy.

This actually makes sense. Its probably the answer to many other questions that most of us scratch our heads at
Post 165 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I'm curious to know who would purchase the graded, signed books now that they are exponentially more than the total for you submitting on your own with the signing?

@Nuffsaid111 You have to remember that many of us are more experienced than the average modern comic collector. Many don't have the experience that makes them confident they could navigate the entire process and get the desired end-product. Maybe afraid that they spend all that money and end up with a signed 8.5? So they pay a premium to avoid risk and have the desired end-product just shipped to their home.
Post 166 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Nuffsaid111 You have to remember that many of us are more experienced than the average modern comic collector. Many don't have the experience that makes them confident they could navigate the entire process and get the desired end-product. Maybe afraid that they spend all that money and end up with a signed 8.5? So they pay a premium to avoid risk and have the desired end-product just shipped to their home.

Interesting take. I never quite considered that option. I guess I just struggle to understand how one can be in a hobby, spending hundreds of dollars, and not know the inner-goings of high level information. Not knowing CGC but spending hundreds on CGC, seems plausible, but I guess I just would struggle myself doing so without any knowledge or confidence of what I'm doing.
Post 167 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
But If you had the opportunity approx 2.5 months ago to submit whatever you wanted, so why on earth would you be looking to purchase now 2.5 months later for the prices people are asking? $299 for 9.8 Spawn 1? I could have submitted 3 books with an expectation that at least one would come back 9.8 for $299 (and be left with the residual 2 9.6's for resell for a fair amount)

It really is crazy, but it works, and consistently so. I mean, not always. You have to find the gaps between the cost of supply and price of demand. But there are a LOT of places you can find and make money on the gap.

Most of the McFarlane sigs are Spawn, it seems, but I just had a quick look at his Batman cover, Batman #423. Three or four 9.6's have sold in the last month (none from the recent signing event). They seem to be going for something just north of $500 ... except for one poor sod who ended his auction the Saturday before Christmas ($320). Blue label 9.6 is quite a bit less. I sold one in October for $160. And you can buy one now for $140.

The Todd sig would have cost about $110, $120, something like that. That's with shipping and the press and everything. So the costs are maybe $250, $260 - less, if you start raw - and the profit then is easily over $200 bucks.

If I had known the premium for Todd's signature was over $200 bucks I would have sent in more than one, that's for sure. But I guess we'll see if it holds up, next few months. Certainly, the lesser known works are the best bet, I would think.

Quote:
Let's be honest with ourselves - 9.8's on Modern books just isn't that hard. It really isn't.

It really is easy to get 9.8's on a lot of these. All you need is to pay attention to the pictures, remember the good sellers on eBay, and have a healthy acceptance of some small uncertainty. Just play the numbers and grind it out, you'll do okay.
Post 168 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I've got a mail order signed spawn #15 direct from image comics back in the daay that is wobbly enough looks like his personal assistant may have done it .. I certainly wouldn't send it for verification .With a yellow label being applied regardless, he doesn't need to be neat.

You should post up a photo of your signed Spawn #15 I am sure some here would chime in with their opinions on the signature. Remember Todd's signature has gone through changes, early on in the late 80's and early 90's he was signing "T. McFarlane" but quite clear and bold. When he was signing his Spider-Man #1 issues with the red spider-stamp on back and also copies without the stamp, his signature appeared much tighter, and generally was found under the price/issue number box on the upper left side. Since then his signature has been one of the nicest and boldest one out there, with him taking the time to sign out his whole name clearly. I had a few items that he even signed Todd "Webs" McFarlane as he was nicknamed that during his Spider-Man days. Don't assume your signed book isn't legit because it very well could be authentic, and the nice thing with CBCS is you can have it authenticated and get the red label should you choose too down the road. :-)

I'm certain is legit as I got it through a legit source .. ( through an image comics promotion )

Just not so certain it could be verified the way it looks . Few big wobbles/pen lifts
Post 169 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Kinsella5 You seem to have missed the point of my posts. CGC sent how many employees to 1) grade, 2) slab, 3) prep and pack books for shipment in order to get the flow of comics out that are being sent out? That's at least 3 or 4 right there. Again, I'm amazed at how fast a slabbing company can be when they desire to be fast in their turn-a-round times. (That's the point of my posts).

Also, if one grader and one slabber was pulled from their jobs how much does Todd's amount of books translate into a delay for books already in the pipe-line that have been waiting to be graded? I've no idea how fast a grader can grade a comic and how fast someone who is slabbing books can slab them. Just curious.

No, I understood your point of your post, and while I agree it is rather amazing they were able to get it all done in a matter of days from book signed, graded, slabbed, and then shipped back to the customer, how it all transpired is a mystery. Unsure if CGC posted in detail how it all would work but I suspect if you contacted them and asked how they did it, and if it affected other books, etc, they would probably be able to let you know since the event is over with. If you do reach out to them, post up here in case others are curious as to what they say.
Post 170 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Aren't 3 graders required to give a grade? and which are supposed to grade individually without looking at each other notes? Maybe CGC is slabbing orders faster by not using this process anymore. I am in total disagreement of the grades I received so this could be the answer to that query.
Post 171 IP   flag post
Up to 222 Todd McFarlane signed CGC books on eBay.

@Kinsella5 I doubt that any slabbing company would share the amount of books that they grade on an average day or the amount of time the signed McFarlane books might delay other books already in the pipeline. It seems to me that would be proprietary information as it would allow people to ascertain financial information about the company. I could be wrong though. If not, then maybe someone from CBCS could chime in on how many comics they grade, slab, package, and ship on an average day and the percentage breakdown of the grading categories those books fall in?

@SpiderTim I have no idea how CGC is handling the books. My comments and posts were about the speed some of these books are ending up on eBay - nothing more.
Post 172 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user

Mine are back! I was pretty happy with the grades, considering that these are my bought brand new off the shelf and read copies.

Very happy with the nice clean sigs. Too.

And look, Ma, no. newton rings.
Post 173 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing shows up on the CGC website yet but Fedex just notified me that my books will be arriving on Wednesday.

Can't wait to see how they graded out.
Post 174 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
I got my grades back and I am pumped
Post 175 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige31
I got my grades back and I am pumped

I think we need to see some pics then.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Well, we are up to 241 "Todd McFarlane signed CGC" books on eBay.
Post 177 IP   flag post
One day I'll look to see how many were actually sold. It doesn't look like a tremendous amount so far.

Maybe people are getting smart. Purchase a comic that had a million print run (Spawn 1, Spider-man 1) for a few bucks, then slab for $89 OR purchase someone's submission for $299. Hmmm... I can't figure out which one makes more financial sense.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I will when I get them in hand or the guy that pressed them gets them!
Post 179 IP   flag post
Collector Yoosh5492 private msg quote post Address this user
McFarlane posted a video saying he has signed so many spawn 1's that the unsigned ones will be more rare. LOL!
Post 180 IP   flag post
601503 346 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?