Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeSigning Opportunities

Todd McFarlane10455

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
even at 30 dollars per signature that's half a million dollars....
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
time to sell Todd‘s signed books before the market will be flooded with copies
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
time to sell Todd‘s signed books before the market will be flooded with copies

I see a lot of yellow label Spawn and Spiderman 1s flooding the market.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5
For those who sent their books in for that McFarlane signing announced a few months back, Todd is now in Florida prepping to sign them....all 17,000 books submitted.

Todd is the new Stan Lee of signing books.
Post 129 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
17000 books!! OMG.... I don't know how many he can do in a day but this sounds like a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for even just signing the books. Weeks?
Post 130 IP   flag post

How many of the 17000 are headed to eBay? If you have a signed copy and thinking about selling it, then you might want to do it before the tidal wave of signed McFarlane books get listed.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
17,000. That is nuts. I'm glad I got mine just for keeps not to flip. If I shipped in dozens of books planning to flip, I'd be worried.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
His signature will be as rare as stans.
With so many will buyers pay a premium or just a extra $30 for the signature ?
Post 133 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
It's unclear what books people sent in to get signed though, what they will come back grade-wise, but yes I imagine it's going to take him a while to sign all of them. Some people online were saying he was going to be signing 3000-5000 items total but his wife posted it was 17000. With regards to flipping, yes clearly some people are going to do that so it will be interesting to see what the market looks like in the next few months and how it affects any of the signed/graded book values such as for early Amazing Spider-Man, Spawn, etc. But you never know, this could be something he is not planning on doing again for quite some time, or maybe scale back on appearances, hard to say, kind of like how Jim Lee announced in 2018 he is only going to do 100 more "appearances" and then retire from the convention and store signings circuit. He said it should take him around 10-11 years to achieve that number.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
17,000. That is nuts. I'm glad I got mine just for keeps not to flip. If I shipped in dozens of books planning to flip, I'd be worried.

Yeah I have a ton of comics signed by Todd back when I was delivering to his store, I eventually want to have them pressed and submitted to CBCS, just waiting until sometime this year to do so.
Post 135 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
17000 books!! OMG.... I don't know how many he can do in a day but this sounds like a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for even just signing the books. Weeks?
Quote:

7 straight 8 hour days, if he averages 5 signatures a minute.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
The perfect time to buy these books will be around week three or four after the flippers get them back from CGC grading. Panic will set in as the market will be flooded with common popular issues with auctions ending lower and lower per transaction. I see many dealers upside down in there costs as you can throw GPA out the window when the auctions start.
Post 137 IP   flag post
if you could write your name three times nicely in a minute....an hour would be 180 signatures. …..that would require 94 and a half hours at that rate, or spread out over nine hour work days...ten days and some change
Post 138 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Quote:

Probably a close guestimate, but using a marker and being perfectly careful to do each signature right, I doubt he can do five a minute, especially given how he writes his name.. and that doesn't allow for restroom breaks, stopping for a cup of coffee, or eating so I loosened mine to three signatures a minute and came up with more like ten days and change
Post 139 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
The perfect time to buy these books will be around week three or four after the flippers get them back from CGC grading. Panic will set in as the market will be flooded with common popular issues with auctions ending lower and lower per transaction. I see many dealers upside down in there costs as you can throw GPA out the window when the auctions start.

It should be super interesting to watch what happens to the price when the flood gates open and all of these get listed. Unless he does a remark or does a sketch on a book then his signature isn't going to command a lot of extra money once these get dumped on the market.
Post 140 IP   flag post
I just got a note from my presser that my shipment of 3 McFarlane books has been "Finalized/Imaged/Shipped". I actually have a screenshot of the CGC submission page.

I don't get it? I thought he didn't start yet?
I must be in the Twilight Zone.
Post 141 IP   flag post
Quote:
I just got a note from my presser that my shipment of 3 McFarlane books has been "Finalized/Imaged/Shipped". I actually have a screenshot of the CGC submission page.

I don't get it? I thought he didn't start yet?
I must be in the Twilight Zone.

I know Todd was in Vancouver Washington at a store signing with other Image founders this past Saturday (January 11th) which is close to Image's headquarters in Portland. I think he got to Florida on Monday and probably started signing. I didn't participate in this signing this since everything I have of his is already signed, but didn't it include fast tracking of your books so people would get them back quickly? Perhaps the books were already pressed before he signed, and then went straight to grading and shipped back, if your comics are already on their way back to you, you could be one of the first.
Post 142 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
He started signing yesterday and my books are already showing as “Grading/Quality Control”. So they’re definitely grading as soon as he’s signed.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Collector Yoosh5492 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 144 IP   flag post
When I checked last week there were 134 "Todd McFarlane Signed CGC" comics on eBay. That number has increased to 207 as of a couple of minutes ago. I wonder how much it expands over the next few weeks?

There are some Spawn 301's signed by McFarlane on 1-15-20 that are graded, and slabbed up on eBay. They are being sold by someone in VA. Holy smokes, is that a FAST turn-a-round. 6 days from signing, to be graded, slabbed, shipped, received in VA and listed. WOW!
Post 145 IP   flag post

Post 146 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
My submission still shows only as received and I just read Todd finished the signing already. I hope to God the books got signed and that I can get grades soon! The suspense is killing me.
Post 147 IP   flag post
I am seeing a ton of signed Spawn 300s from this event popping up on social media.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Is anyone concerned that 17,000 new Todd McFarlane signatures might affect the Supply/Demand equilibrium of the market? I'm sure most are for personal collections, but if the hope is to profit from these signings, I would suggest getting to market sooner rather than later.
Post 149 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Quote:

Probably a close guestimate, but using a marker and being perfectly careful to do each signature right, I doubt he can do five a minute, especially given how he writes his name.. and that doesn't allow for restroom breaks, stopping for a cup of coffee, or eating so I loosened mine to three signatures a minute and came up with more like ten days and change
I don't think neat will be a priority with 17000 sigs to do

I've got a mail order signed spawn #15 direct from image comics back in the daay that is wobbly enough looks like his personal assistant may have done it .. I certainly wouldn't send it for verification ..

With a yellow label being applied regardless, he doesn't need to be neat .
Post 150 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Is anyone concerned that 17,000 new Todd McFarlane signatures might affect the Supply/Demand equilibrium of the market? I'm sure most are for personal collections, but if the hope is to profit from these signings, I would suggest getting to market sooner rather than later.

Be sure that I'll be looking at the census shortly, by month, to see the increases in numbers of SS books on typical issues
Post 151 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

Not particularly. He usually only does 2 cgc signings a year max. He did this past huge signing with CGC because he has not done any cgc in a few years (maybe 2yrs??). I personally see this signing as a 2yr backlog. Or is he going to fund his spawn movie off of signings (joking).

He does however do a lot of free signing at cons if you have a non press, non exhibitor badge.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Up to 207 listings under "Todd McFarlane Signed CGC" comics on eBay. Up 7 in less than 16 hours. 2 9.8 signed books were sold yesterday by cgc9.8comics in Kihei, Hawaii. They were both signed on 1-15-20.

eBay listing # 193306027461 and # 193306022606. The first was a Spiderman #1 Gold @ $205.50, and the second was a Spiderman #1 @ 174.50.

(How the heck does a book get signed on 1-15-20, get graded, get slabbed, get shipped to Hawaii in 4 days?????????????? Both listings went up on 1-19-20).
Post 153 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Up to 207 listings under "Todd McFarlane Signed CGC" comics on eBay. Up 7 in less than 16 hours. 2 9.8 signed books were sold yesterday by cgc9.8comics in Kihei, Hawaii. They were both signed on 1-15-20.(How the heck does a book get signed on 1-15-20, get graded, get slabbed, get shipped to Hawaii in 4 days?????????????? Both listings went up on 1-19-20).

I honestly don't think it should be a surprise to anyone that some people were getting them to flip, more power to those who had that as their end goal but also to those who wanted to get some of their own books signed to keep in their collection. With 17,000 books to sign, I am actually surprised there aren't a lot more than the few hundred up on eBay currently. Also not everyone uses eBay, there also could be shops that had them signed and graded for display in their store, to sell, etc. But a few hundred on eBay is really nothing that I personally will affect the value with regards to the market being flooded. Now, if there were thousands and thousands of books popping up on eBay, it would have a reverse affect, sellers would all compete with each other by lowering their prices to get the quick sale. In that case it becomes more of a buyers market because of all the competition so if you are a buyer, in many ways you want more of them hitting eBay, etc. What I am more impressed with is Todd cranking out that many signatures over the course of a few days, but Todd has always been determined and dedicated especially for his fans, that I saw in him many many years ago when I would hang out with him at his store.

With regards to the seller in Hawaii, no one but the seller knows what type of return shipping they paid for. Maybe they decided to spend the maximum allowed for the fastest shipping, or perhaps they have access to a FedEx account that doesn't cost them personally anything to have packages shipped to them. There is a seller on eBay that doesn't deal in comics, they offer stuff for around $3 Buy it Now and throw in free FedEx Next Day Air shipping. Yes, for a $3 item. Makes sense? No, but they have access to an account that lets them get away with it, because in the end, a company they work for is paying the shipping costs, not the actual seller.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I've got a mail order signed spawn #15 direct from image comics back in the daay that is wobbly enough looks like his personal assistant may have done it .. I certainly wouldn't send it for verification .With a yellow label being applied regardless, he doesn't need to be neat.

You should post up a photo of your signed Spawn #15 I am sure some here would chime in with their opinions on the signature. Remember Todd's signature has gone through changes, early on in the late 80's and early 90's he was signing "T. McFarlane" but quite clear and bold. When he was signing his Spider-Man #1 issues with the red spider-stamp on back and also copies without the stamp, his signature appeared much tighter, and generally was found under the price/issue number box on the upper left side. Since then his signature has been one of the nicest and boldest one out there, with him taking the time to sign out his whole name clearly. I had a few items that he even signed Todd "Webs" McFarlane as he was nicknamed that during his Spider-Man days. Don't assume your signed book isn't legit because it very well could be authentic, and the nice thing with CBCS is you can have it authenticated and get the red label should you choose too down the road. :-)
Post 155 IP   flag post
603227 346 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?