Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeSigning Opportunities

Todd McFarlane10455

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
What is the return shipping cost associated with 30+ slabs? Got to be expensive.

$0 from CGC but my Fedex Account is another story.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
To add to what Darkseid_of_town said, yes, Todd co-owned "The Spider's Web" comic book store that was located in Puyallup Washington back in the late 80's and throughout the 90's. Todd was living in Canada at the time, but would make appearances at the store. This was before the days of the internet when stores would advertise store signings via a flyer in the window and word of mouth. I was working for Diamond Comic Distributors, and one of my duties was delivering comics twice a week (yes there was a time when there were twice weekly shipments) and Todd's store was on my route. Whenever he would do a signing at the store, I would go down and hang out for hours with him, and the memories are very fond because we would talk about everything. One time it was just he and I, and he went through his entire run on Amazing Spider-Man and would discuss his covers. Another time he asked me to look at rough pencil drawings about his idea he had in his head for years, which was Spawn, and this was back in 1990, a few years before Spawn was released. Ton of other good memories too and he signed all of my comics throughout the times he would appear there. He really is one of the nicest guys out there, the Todd you see in his Facebook videos is the real Todd, he has a passion for comics and really does love and appreciates his fans.

I remember being told about the Spider-Man #1 signed edition that was only offered through his store before they announced them as they were advertised in the Comics Buyer's Guide and people could order them that way or in-store. Only the copies part of that edition were stamped and signed, and what I mean by that is he didn't stamp copies that customers brought in themselves, only the copies that were sold via the store as part of the store's offering. Each copy came with a COA letter from the store, it was basically typed out and copies printed off. The comics were signed on the upper left side under the issue number box, and it was a quick signature. I am unsure how many were signed and offered through the store, as I never asked. The comic market was a lot different then, and there were no grading companies at that time.
Post 102 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Kinsella5 you got any extra copies of diamond previews #3 lying around?

Post 103 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5
Only the copies part of that edition were stamped and signed, and what I mean by that is he didn't stamp copies that customers brought in themselves, only the copies that were sold via the store as part of the store's offering

Thanks for sharing your story. It raises an interesting and complex legal issue. I wonder if Mcfarlane the creator could legally collude with Mcfarlane the store owner to offer a value-added feature that is not available to other retailers. When two parties work together to disadvantage a third party, it creates legal issues. If Apple were to offer an I-phone feature that is only available on products purchased through Apple stores...well I suspect the other I-phone dealers would have a legitimate collusion or restraint-of-trade lawsuit. It's a legal technicality that I doubt they even thought of at the time.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
So, an entity working with a comic book company to provide covers that only are distributed is a complex legal issue? I don't see the issue. If it was then the stores that have variant covers that are exclusive to their store, and creators that bring variants that they signed/sell at conventions would be a no-no.

I'd like to add that all my interactions with McFarlane have been wonderful.
Post 105 IP   flag post

Quote:
I don't see the issue. If it was then the stores that have variant covers that are exclusive to their store, and creators that bring variants that they signed/sell at conventions would be a no-no.

The issue is when two parties discuss denying services to a third party for competitive reasons.

It's really about the stamp. If the stamp was a legitimate part of the Todd Mcfarlane signature that day, then it should have been applied to all books equally that day. By denying the stamp to non-store bought books, it creates the issue of who does the stamp belong to. The way it was applied, it seems more likely that for legal purposes the stamp belonged to the store and is not a part of the creators signtature that day. This explanation is perfectly valid, but it creates an issue in slabbing and grading as that stamp would be a defect just the same as if it were on the book without the signature.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I never submitted mine for grade and slab, but I would assume that either CGC or CBCS would see a small red spiderweb stamp on the back cover as a defect regardless who or how it came to be there orginally...but it is small ….(would fit inside a dime) and placed on the back cover where it isn't obvious without looking for it or grading the back cover
Post 107 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I sold my copy over ten years ago. Stamp being a defect would be graded I'd think like a date stamp or a stamp from a seller when it was first sold. And the red spider is on the back cover which is better then if it was on the front cover.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I never submitted mine for grade and slab, but I would assume that either CGC or CBCS would see a small red spiderweb stamp on the back cover as a defect regardless who or how it came to be there orginally...but it is small ….(would fit inside a dime) and placed on the back cover where it isn't obvious without looking for it or grading the back cover
If the stampped copies are submitted for VSP and pass CBCS overlooks the stamp in regards to grading.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
I don't see the issue. If it was then the stores that have variant covers that are exclusive to their store, and creators that bring variants that they signed/sell at conventions would be a no-no.

The issue is when two parties discuss denying services to a third party for competitive reasons.

It's really about the stamp. If the stamp was a legitimate part of the Todd Mcfarlane signature that day, then it should have been applied to all books equally that day. By denying the stamp to non-store bought books, it creates the issue of who does the stamp belong to. The way it was applied, it seems more likely that for legal purposes the stamp belonged to the store and is not a part of the creators signtature that day. This explanation is perfectly valid, but it creates an issue in slabbing and grading as that stamp would be a defect just the same as if it were on the book without the signature.

I really doubt McFarlane was attempting to deny anything from anyone. He was a young entrepreneur struggling to move his business forward. Your answer illustrates that nobody knows anything about something that took place roughly 30 years ago. The statue of limitations expired long ago, and I would hazard a guess that none of the parties involved still are within whatever county the supposed issue at hand took place within.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Quote:
I really doubt McFarlane was attempting to deny anything from anyone. He was a young entrepreneur struggling to move his business forward. Your answer illustrates that nobody knows anything about something that took place roughly 30 years ago. The statue of limitations expired long ago, and I would hazard a guess that none of the parties involved still are within whatever county the supposed issue at hand took place within.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to build a federal racketeering case against Todd here on the forum. More an interesting observation that when the producer is also part of the distribution network, they have to be extra cautious about disadvantaging others in the distribution network, even unintentionally. I once worked in such a situation and my boss would often respond to our clever ideas with "I will not have that conversation...I don't look good in stripes".
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
If the stampped copies are submitted for VSP and pass CBCS overlooks the stamp in regards to grading.

Well now it gets interesting again. Why is the stamp overlooked in grading...do they consider it a part of the signature?
Post 112 IP   flag post
@flanders With regards to the Previews catalog, no I am sorry I don't have any as any extras the warehouse would have had would get recycled but that cover image of Spawn brings back a lot of memories.

Todd was kind enough when Spider-Man #1 came out to sign some extra copies and sent them up to the warehouse to be given out to the employees as a thank you for their hard work.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser

Well now it gets interesting again. Why is the stamp overlooked in grading...do they consider it a part of the signature?
Yes
Post 114 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know when we can expect to get our McFarlane signed books back from CGC?
Post 115 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Does anyone know when we can expect to get our McFarlane signed books back from CGC?

What he said!
Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Todd posted a video on FB saying he’s had the flu for 10 days and the signing won't take place until after the first of the year 😔. He said submissions were up 300% over his last private signing, so the actual signing will take a week. So we still have some waiting to do.
Post 117 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Todd posted a video on FB saying he’s had the flu for 10 days and the signing won't take place until after the first of the year 😔. He said submissions were up 300% over his last private signing, so the actual signing will take a week. So we still have some waiting to do.

Post 118 IP   flag post
but you can bet your bank that did not stop CGC from billing full amounts due from everyone ASAP
Post 119 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
but you can bet your bank that did not stop CGC from billing full amounts due from everyone ASAP

I asked the question because I say the charge on my credit card already.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Right, they billed the book I sent in as a proxy for a friend immediately as well. The signing might be delayed but the paying sure wont !!
Post 121 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Damn straight they did. They did it way faster than you running to the privy the morning after having that really spicy Mexican food the night prior.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Part of the fee for the McFarlane signing was the inclusion of fast track turnaround times.

Anyone sold this bill of goods should read the following quote from an e-mail I received today:

Todd McFarlane Signing Update

As we shared last month, Todd was unable to make it to his original signing date due to illness. We have rescheduled and Todd is all set to sign your submissions in the next couple of weeks.

Once the books are signed, they will begin the grading/pressing process. CGC will keep the original turnaround time of 3 weeks for grading and 6 weeks for pressing. These turnaround times start once the books are signed. We really appreciate your understanding and patience.
Post 123 IP   flag post
so now they reset the clock to when he does get around to signing almost a month later...yikes
Post 124 IP   flag post
For those who sent their books in for that McFarlane signing announced a few months back, Todd is now in Florida prepping to sign them....all 17,000 books submitted.
Post 125 IP   flag post
even at 30 dollars per signature that's half a million dollars....
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
time to sell Todd‘s signed books before the market will be flooded with copies
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
time to sell Todd‘s signed books before the market will be flooded with copies

I see a lot of yellow label Spawn and Spiderman 1s flooding the market.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5
For those who sent their books in for that McFarlane signing announced a few months back, Todd is now in Florida prepping to sign them....all 17,000 books submitted.

Todd is the new Stan Lee of signing books.
Post 129 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
17000 books!! OMG.... I don't know how many he can do in a day but this sounds like a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for even just signing the books. Weeks?
Post 130 IP   flag post
597866 346 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?