Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeSigning Opportunities

Todd McFarlane10455

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Did you pull the poster out of that book or did you buy it that way?

This was my newsstand copy I bought from Kroger grocery story spinner brand new. So yeah, I took the poster out and thumbtacked it to my wall. I guess I forgot I did that, and the book had a poster, before sending it out to Trinity lol
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I think one thing needs to be made clear, while CGC will push an unwitnessed signature (and other major flaws) towards a green label, you can request a book NOT get a green label, in which case the book would get the grade hit but get whatever other label it is qualified for.

So if you have an unwitnessed signature then get a witnessed signature on the same book, you could get a Yellow/Green for a higher grade, or request not to get a green and you’ll get a full yellow label with a slightly lower grade.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I think one thing needs to be made clear, while CGC will push an unwitnessed signature (and other major flaws) towards a green label, you can request a book NOT get a green label, in which case the book would get the grade hit but get whatever other label it is qualified for.

So if you have an unwitnessed signature then get a witnessed signature on the same book, you could get a Yellow/Green for a higher grade, or request not to get a green and you’ll get a full yellow label with a slightly lower grade.

My book has a green label due to the unwitnessed McFarlane signature on it. Its grade is 9.4. I'd rather not have it knocked down to get a yellow green label. The signature on it is real and I don't have any plans on selling it. So, I guess I'll keep it the way that it is and save the coinage for something else.
Post 53 IP   flag post
If you get a yellow/green the grade should not fall. If you want a full yellow label then it would
Post 54 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
It is incredible the amount of chaos that the industry self imposes on itself with respect to autographs. Yellow, Green, Red, not interchangeable between companies, 1st page maybe grade knockdown, cover definite grade knockdown, grade knockdowns not on back cover.
This autograph system is a total mess if I've ever seen one.... and yet the answer for it eludes me.
Post 55 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
not interchangeable between companies,

Not entirely true.

If an authorized CBCS witness cracks your CGC yellow slab to add more signatures to the book CBCS will give you a yellow label including the CGC witnessed signatures.

Of course the grade will be re-evaluated so no guarantees on keeping your 9.8 grade.
Post 56 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
not interchangeable between companies,

Not entirely true.

If an authorized CBCS witness cracks your CGC yellow slab to add more signatures to the book CBCS will give you a yellow label including the CGC witnessed signatures.

Of course the grade will be re-evaluated so no guarantees on keeping your 9.8 grade.

There is a cut off date. With the new rules and regulations, CBCS will no longer honor newer yellow labels from the cgc.
Post 57 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
Just to help people looks like they updated the invoice you mail in to say at last line, $5 cracking fee for slabs.
Post 59 IP   flag post
I kinda regret getting my Silver and Gold Spawn 300 signed at NYCC now. Then again rules say no parody covers, so i asked as we know the silver and gold are like ASM will he sign them. They told me we don't know. I asked for if i send and he doesn't sign, what happens? They said Just Use Your Best Judgement, i asked can someone call Todd or his agent and ask and they said NO.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I think he doesnt sign the thanks because it was a free book for retailers and he didn't want it to be a collectors item ( don't know how he expected that tough .. it's one of the coolest spawn covers I own )

I believe he doesn't sign the recent marvel remastered because I don't think he approved the use of the art, nor received commission , because marvel owns it from when he used to work there ( i.e. the reason why he created image in the first place )

So don't see why he wouldn't sign the silver and gold 300 .. especially since he signed them freely at nycc
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I think he doesnt sign the thanks because it was a free book for retailers and he didn't want it to be a collectors item ( don't know how he expected that tough .. it's one of the coolest spawn covers I own )

I believe he doesn't sign the recent marvel remastered because I don't think he approved the use of the art, nor received commission , because marvel owns it from when he used to work there ( i.e. the reason why he created image in the first place )

So don't see why he wouldn't sign the silver and gold 300 .. especially since he signed them freely at nycc

I agree on the Thank You cover, i wrote a similar thing to someone on Facebook asking why he won't sign and showed off their cover with bunch of signatures.

As the might be considered a "parody" cover is why I question. I agree about signing at NYCC as that is where I got them signed. However maybe different rules when signing at CGC event as will be considered a yellow label
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
I kinda regret getting my Silver and Gold Spawn 300 signed at NYCC now. Then again rules say no parody covers, so i asked as we know the silver and gold are like ASM will he sign them. They told me we don't know. I asked for if i send and he doesn't sign, what happens? They said Just Use Your Best Judgement, i asked can someone call Todd or his agent and ask and they said NO.

If you are already sending in books, I say go for it. The worst that can happen is that your other books get graded and they send back the foils ungraded.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
Quote:

If you are already sending in books, I say go for it. The worst that can happen is that your other books get graded and they send back the foils ungraded.

I was only planing on send those in..
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I agree on the Thank You cover, i wrote a similar thing to someone on Facebook asking why he won't sign and showed off their cover with bunch of signatures.

As the might be considered a "parody" cover is why I question. I agree about signing at NYCC as that is where I got them signed. However maybe different rules when signing at CGC event as will be considered a yellow label
those other covers he wont even sign unwitnessed

I think you will be fine ... disclaimer : this is my opinion, i can't actually read todds mind
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

those other covers he wont even sign unwitnessed

I think you will be fine ... disclaimer : this is my opinion, i can't actually read todds mind

I have about a week to decide... I think they should be personally listing all books he refuses to sign including the parody, just my opinion...
Post 66 IP   flag post
Plenty of 227 ss books by todd

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133225949727
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Plenty of 227 ss books by todd

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133225949727

True looks like the are classifying as "Homage" but sure can change.
Post 68 IP   flag post
After filling out my submission and carefully reading everything I think the Spawn foils are fine.

When they say parody books,I think it means that he will not sign other creators/books where they do a homage/parody cover of McFarlane's work. The do you pooh or whatever they are called books come to mind as well as the countless Incredible Hulk 340 homage covers.

Your Spawn 300 foils (which CBCS lists as a 2nd printing) should be fine as they are no different than Todd's Spawn 300 Cover J cover which was the ASM 300 homage.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes

Your Spawn 300 foils (which CBCS lists as a 2nd printing) should be fine as they are no different than Todd's Spawn 300 Cover J cover which was the ASM 300 homage.

I agree about the Cover J, but since it's now coming to an official yellow label CGC signing is when he might refuse it.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Also some more info regarding sending graded and having them crack slabs, as mentioned they will do it for a $5 extra fee HOWEVER this may be a "BIG" deal for some..... They will also not honor the grade automatically once slab is cracked. This means they will send the book for regrading again, so your grade may change.

Thought I would share in case anyone else was wondering.
Post 71 IP   flag post
@hitmantyler No reputable grading company honors a grade once the slab has been opened. The book may come back with the same grade but both CBCS and CGC will always regrade a book that has been cracked, even if it is in their own slab
Post 72 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@hitmantyler No reputable grading company honors a grade once the slab has been opened. The book may come back with the same grade but both CBCS and CGC will always regrade a book that has been cracked, even if it is in their own slab

Unless the comic is submitted for a re-holder, then the grade will remain unchanged.

*or maybe not, I posted a topic to clarify this.
Post 73 IP   flag post
If the book is cracked out of the slab, it will get regraded.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Unless the comic is submitted for a re-holder, then the grade will remain unchanged.

Some reholders will get regraded depending on the amount of damage to the slab and if there is a question as to whether the book may have sustained damage.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:

I personally think it would maintain the same grade if they (CGC) are charging $5 to crack slab as they are personally doing right at facility vs sending in already cracked.

But Thanks for the info.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I personally think it would maintain the same grade if they (CGC) are charging $5 to crack slab as they are personally doing right at facility vs sending in already cracked.

But Thanks for the info.

Oh, my. This line of thinking will end in tears. Every cracked slab, whether the cgc cracked it out for $5 or not, has the potential to change grade.
Post 77 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Regraded, no doubt...grade could change.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Also some more info regarding sending graded and having them crack slabs, as mentioned they will do it for a $5 extra fee HOWEVER this may be a "BIG" deal for some..... They will also not honor the grade automatically once slab is cracked. This means they will send the book for regrading again, so your grade may change.

Thought I would share in case anyone else was wondering.

They would have mentioned it similar to the Spawn Thank You book, which was a retailer exclusive. Even at his free signings they check to make sure you dont have a retailer badge.

It is however impossible to list every homage/parody book not done by Todd. ASM 300 swipes are a dime a dozen.

Full disclosure, I am sending off a gold, silver, and both Alamo signing event books he did for 301.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:

But Thanks for the info. Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

But Thanks for the info.

Oh, my. This line of thinking will end in tears. Every cracked slab, whether the cgc cracked it out for $5 or not, has the potential to change grade.

I just had the theory since they (CGC) are the professionals would result in no damage, like had correct tools for opening.
You learn something new daily, thanks for input
Post 80 IP   flag post
601455 346 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?