Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeSigning Opportunities

Todd McFarlane10455

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The $89 includes the grading fee

Again, if you can easily get McFarlane’s sig at NYCC and SDCC, then more power to you. Not everyone is attending those shows and for someone that just wants McFarlane’s sig in a slab then $89 is cheaper than attending a convention to get one for free.

Again, both options are valid and for some one works better at certain times than others
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
The $89 includes the grading fee

Got it.
I was under the impression the $89 was JUST the autograph. Makes slightly more sense now
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I believe the window bags clause is for raw books.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Just want to take the temp here.

If you were going to send in one book, what would be your choice?

Spawn #1
Spider-Man #1 Green
Spider-Man #1 Silver
Spider-Man #1 Gold

These are what I'm debating (I don't have any of the ASM keys).

These are my original, LCS purchased copies and are all probably 9.0 or higher.

Really torn on what to send and I don't think I have the budget to send two.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Just want to take the temp here.

If you were going to send in one book, what would be your choice?

Spawn #1
Spider-Man #1 Green
Spider-Man #1 Silver
Spider-Man #1 Gold

Send in the one you think will grade the highest.

These are what I'm debating (I don't have any of the ASM keys).

These are my original, LCS purchased copies and are all probably 9.0 or higher.

Really torn on what to send and I don't think I have the budget to send two.

IAW the CGC census, the number of signed copies 9.0 and higher is as follows:

Spawn #1 = 2000
SM Green = 1300
SM Silver = 1800
SM Gold = 750

Do you know if any of them Spider-Man’s were the poly-bagged editions? I’m not sure how one tells he difference. They seem to have their own category in the census...i thought they were all the same (bagged or unbagged).

I’d go with the comic that would likely grade the highest...then maybe spawn as it’s a first appearance/Mcfarlane Creation.

SM Gold is the rarest...but it’s not rare by any means.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I'll pull them out and get some scans tomorrow.

My Spider-Man #1 Green is a polybagged that I removed from the bag. I still have a second bagged copy, also.

I think the non-polybagged green #1s are newsstand. There were newsstand versions of all three colors. The newsstand gold is really, really rare from what I've gathered.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Ah..but who has Coyote #11 or Infinity Inc #14??

I think if I were to get a TM signature it would be one or both of those vs the tidal wave of Spidey and Spawn covers.

Maybe next time he comes to Toronto I'll have to go.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
I'll pull them out and get some scans tomorrow.

My Spider-Man #1 Green is a polybagged that I removed from the bag. I still have a second bagged copy, also.

I think the non-polybagged green #1s are newsstand. There were newsstand versions of all three colors. The newsstand gold is really, really rare from what I've gathered.

I think the black polybagged copies didn’t have a price on the cover...it was on the bag.

I’m seeing no difference between the green covers. Both newsstand and direct say removed from polybag.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Don't forget the Platinum Edition
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@drchaos yes. Also note that only books which are in window bags will be accepted. That means you cannot submit books which are in a slab

False. For $5 they will crack open slabs, including yellow.

Thank You! do I also need to send a bag and board with it?

Kind Regards,
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
I will be sending my slabbed ASM 300 (9.4), but was wondering if I should also send a slabbed Hulk 340 (9.0), mind you neither of them got pressed originally.
Is it worth it sending the hulk?
Post 36 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic
do I also need to send a bag and board with it?

https://www.kaptainmyke.com/comics/submit/windowprep.htm
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I've got a Spawn #1 Black and White that has a green label due to his signature. Do you guys think I should resub it and have it signed again to get a yellow label?
Post 38 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic
do I also need to send a bag and board with it?

https://www.kaptainmyke.com/comics/submit/windowprep.htm

Very cool and informative!!!!
Post 39 IP   flag post
It would be a green/yellow label with "Name written on cover" in addition to the witnessed double signature.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
It would be a green/yellow label with "Name written on cover" in addition to the witnessed double signature.

No point in doing it then.
Post 41 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

No point in doing it then.

I would VSP it for a red label.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Here are the books I am looking at sending.

After taking a good look, I think I've answered my own question.

Spawn #1 and Spider-Man #1 Green look like they are the best condition to me.

On Spider-Man #1 green, the biggest defect I see is that there's a spine abrassion to the left of Spidey's eye on the front, and aligned with the last line of text on the back. It's a little under 1/8 inch.

Silver Version is pretty clean over all but has some spine roll that would likely need to be pressed for best results.

Gold has an imperfection in the paper that runs from issue in the top bar to down below Arachknight. The front scan looks like it has vertical striations at high magnification, but I think these are scanner artifacts, they are absolutely not visible to the eye on the printed book - even with magnifying glass.

Spawn #1 looks pretty good to me - bindery tear on top left of spine and slightly blunted top right corner look like the worst to me.

Love to hear any thoughts on any issues I missed.
Post 43 IP   flag post

I've had these books since I was a kid and had them signed by a facilitator (TrinityComics)
Post 44 IP   flag post
Not that I would ever do this but ......
Just curious - if this were cracked, window bagged and submitted to CGC; how would it come back? I know CGC does that "Name on front ocver" thingy, but I got this on the indicia on the 1st page.

Post 45 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 green label
Post 46 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke Did you pull the poster out of that book or did you buy it that way?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Not that I would ever do this but ......
Just curious - if this were cracked, window bagged and submitted to CGC; how would it come back? I know CGC does that "Name on front ocver" thingy, but I got this on the indicia on the 1st page.

Since yours is signed on the inside and not the outside, you would NOT get a green label. You would get a yellow label, with an extra line saying "Todd McFarlane" or "Name" written one 1st page in pen. Similar to these-

Post 48 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 I didn't know the placement of the sig changes the label colour. if the sig was on the over the label would be yellow and green...with the sig on the inside its just yellow...that's interesting. I wonder why the distinction?
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - according to CGC, a neat signature on the inside of a book is considered acceptable and not a flaw.

I wonder if CBCS considers it the same?
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Did you pull the poster out of that book or did you buy it that way?

This was my newsstand copy I bought from Kroger grocery story spinner brand new. So yeah, I took the poster out and thumbtacked it to my wall. I guess I forgot I did that, and the book had a poster, before sending it out to Trinity lol
Post 51 IP   flag post
I think one thing needs to be made clear, while CGC will push an unwitnessed signature (and other major flaws) towards a green label, you can request a book NOT get a green label, in which case the book would get the grade hit but get whatever other label it is qualified for.

So if you have an unwitnessed signature then get a witnessed signature on the same book, you could get a Yellow/Green for a higher grade, or request not to get a green and you’ll get a full yellow label with a slightly lower grade.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I think one thing needs to be made clear, while CGC will push an unwitnessed signature (and other major flaws) towards a green label, you can request a book NOT get a green label, in which case the book would get the grade hit but get whatever other label it is qualified for.

So if you have an unwitnessed signature then get a witnessed signature on the same book, you could get a Yellow/Green for a higher grade, or request not to get a green and you’ll get a full yellow label with a slightly lower grade.

My book has a green label due to the unwitnessed McFarlane signature on it. Its grade is 9.4. I'd rather not have it knocked down to get a yellow green label. The signature on it is real and I don't have any plans on selling it. So, I guess I'll keep it the way that it is and save the coinage for something else.
Post 53 IP   flag post
If you get a yellow/green the grade should not fall. If you want a full yellow label then it would
Post 54 IP   flag post
It is incredible the amount of chaos that the industry self imposes on itself with respect to autographs. Yellow, Green, Red, not interchangeable between companies, 1st page maybe grade knockdown, cover definite grade knockdown, grade knockdowns not on back cover.
This autograph system is a total mess if I've ever seen one.... and yet the answer for it eludes me.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600888 346 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?