Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeSigning Opportunities

Todd McFarlane10455

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
At the risk of advertising for the other team I have news that could prove helpful to my fellow members of the board.

With a deadline of December 9th CGC is taking books to be signed by Todd McFarlane and graded by them for $89 per book (plus grading fees and pressing fees if applicable.

The link below has all of the details:

Todd McFarlane Signing

I will understand if the mods want to remove this thread but this is big news and this opportunity does not happen often so I felt the need to share it here.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
In the past mods/CBCS have been OK with things like this. McFarlane hasn't had a private signing where books can be graded & encapsulated for a while now (CGC press release said two years) so it's kind of a big deal if you want McFarlane's signature with a certified, authentic label.

McFarlane is however and example of artists whose signature can actually certified and slabbed by CBCS for LESS MONEY by using VSP. I believe McFarlane still signs for free or a very low price at conventions he attends. But these signatures cannot be sent in to CGC/CBCS for yellow label. Only McFarlane's signature at his private signings qualify for ASP (yellow label)

If I've mistated anything anyone who more up on the state of McFarlane's signing practices please correct.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
In the past mods/CBCS have been OK with things like this. McFarlane hasn't had a private signing where books can be graded & encapsulated for a while now (CGC press release said two years) so it's kind of a big deal if you want McFarlane's signature with a certified, authentic label.

McFarlane is however and example of artists whose signature can actually certified and slabbed by CBCS for LESS MONEY by using VSP. I believe McFarlane still signs for free or a very low price at conventions he attends. But these signatures cannot be sent in to CGC/CBCS for yellow label. Only McFarlane's signature at his private signings qualify for ASP (yellow label)

If I've mistated anything anyone who more up on the state of McFarlane's signing practices please correct.

Bingo!
This remains to me the single most "just doesn't make sense" topic in the slabbing world that I've talked about in the past. Why on earth would one pay $89 for a yellow label when one can pay $25 for a red label (Todd signs for free at conventions). They are both signed by Todd. It just blows my mind that folks HAVE TO HAVE a yellow label and ptooey! to the red. I don't get it.... never have; never will
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:

Bingo!
This remains to me the single most "just doesn't make sense" topic in the slabbing world that I've talked about in the past. Why on earth would one pay $89 for a yellow label when one can pay $25 for a red label (Todd signs for free at conventions). They are both signed by Todd. It just blows my mind that folks HAVE TO HAVE a yellow label and ptooey! to the red. I don't get it.... never have; never will

CGC is still more trusted/better rep in the mainstream then CBCS. TaTs and QC issues haven't helped their case. But nobody seems to care about Newton rings. The only positive about newton rings for me there is no debate with my soul if I want to keep for PC or flip it's always flip lol and you STILL get top dollar vs CBCS slab YMMV but mine hasn't.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Bingo!

The appeal is getting as many signatures as you want without having to wait in line for a limit of one or two books signed.

I obtained a few signatures this year from him the hard way but like many of you I have far more Todd McFarlane books than Todd McFarlane signed books.

The issue isn't yellow vs red, the issue is getting additional signatures from Todd.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
The appeal is getting as many signatures as you want without having to wait in line for a limit of one or two books signed.

I obtained a few signatures this year from him the hard way but like many of you I have far more Todd McFarlane books than Todd McFarlane signed books.

The issue isn't yellow vs red, the issue is getting additional signatures from Todd.

Good point!
The simplicity of just sending something in and not standing in a line or not trying to be within the 1st hundred people at NYCC is definitely a bonus.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
...$89 per book (plus grading fees and pressing fees if applicable.

$89 includes grading/encapsulation by my understanding as it includes expedited grading.

“The signing fee of $89 per item will include an expedited turnaround time on the grading process.”

“The signing fee will be $89 per item with an additional $20 fee for CCS pressing.”

I think this is a pretty good deal if you want Todd’s sig in a yellow label. Stand in line some other day if you want to chat with him.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I’m thinking I’ll send in my Spawn#9. I’m tempted to send in my ASM 301 but it’s in rough shape
Post 8 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Post 9 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Btw

Anybody know why mcfarlane wont sign these books?

Venom #1 Color Variant Cover
Venomverse #1 B&W Variant
Venomverse #1 ColorVenom
#6 Color Variant Edition
Spawn Retailer
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Anybody know why mcfarlane wont sign these books?
Venom #1 Color Variant Cover
Venomverse #1 B&W Variant
Venomverse #1 ColorVenom
#6 Color Variant Edition
Spawn Retailer

Shame! At least I hope that's the answer. Ashamed of the blatant manipulation of overly loyal fans.

As the Smiths said:
Best of! Most of!
Satiate the need
Slip them into different sleeves!
Buy both, and feel deceived
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

$89 includes grading/encapsulation by my understanding as it includes expedited grading.

“The signing fee of $89 per item will include an expedited turnaround time on the grading process.”

“The signing fee will be $89 per item with an additional $20 fee for CCS pressing.”

I think this is a pretty good deal if you want Todd’s sig in a yellow label. Stand in line some other day if you want to chat with him.

So if I get this correctly the $89 includes fast track grading leaving the following additions:

Invoice fee - $5 per order (not per book)
Pressing - $20 per book if applicable
Return Shipping

Is that accurate?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos yes. Also note that only books which are in window bags will be accepted. That means you cannot submit books which are in a slab
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

That is what I understand as well but I'll call them on Monday just to make sure.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
Questions, I would like to send ASM 300 and Hulk 340, but there are already CGC encapsulate, will they accept encapsulate comics? or we have to break them out?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Sin private msg quote post Address this user
@Ladic see 2 posts up
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Why on earth would one pay $89 for a yellow label when one can pay $25 for a red label

You know why.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@drchaos yes. Also note that only books which are in window bags will be accepted. That means you cannot submit books which are in a slab

False. For $5 they will crack open slabs, including yellow.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Why on earth would one pay $89 for a yellow label when one can pay $25 for a red label

You know why.

In all honesty - I do not know why.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Money (flipping/selling), confidence (only yellow is certain), "negative" color (for some).
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

You know why.

The more appropriate comparison assuming you’re a member would be $16 for grading plus $9 for fast pass plus $25 for VSP plus whatever he charges for signature (I.e., $50 plus signature). Does anyone know what he charges for his sig? Is it free typically?

So yes a red label may be a little cheaper...and for spawn or Spider-Man books the red label may look cool...but there are also intangible costs for the time you’ll spend in line waiting for that signature, gas, parking, entry fee, etc.. And not everyone is within driving distance either.

And if you ever want to sell it you’ll get the difference in cost back as yellow will get more cash than red.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 Maybe because it’s not $25 vs $89?

$25 just covers the signature verification there’s still the $18 grading fee. That’s just to get the book graded you still need to get the signature, which is fine if you have a book already signed.

Sure Todd may offer signatures cheap/free at other appearances but that’s assuming he’s appearing at a show near you, that you’re already attending, or are paying someone to get signatures for you. Even then Todd always commands a significant line which not everyone is willing to wait through. Finally, at those signings there is usually a limit to the number of books he’ll sign, last time I got his sig in person it was 2 books.

So yes, signature verification certainly has its place and I’m very glad it’s available as an option and if you’re willing and able to go through those steps then more power to you, I do it sometimes but not always. As much as I hate Todd’s CGC exclusivity, this opportunity is not without its own merits.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You know why.

The more appropriate comparison assuming you’re a member would be $16 for grading plus $9 for fast pass plus $25 for VSP plus whatever he charges for signature (I.e., $50 plus signature). Does anyone know what he charges for his sig? Is it free typically?

So yes a red label may be a little cheaper...and for spawn or Spider-Man books the red label may look cool...but there are also intangible costs for the time you’ll spend in line waiting for that signature, gas, parking, entry fee, etc.. And not everyone is within driving distance either.

And if you ever want to sell it you’ll get the difference in cost back as yellow will get more cash than red.

If you go to a big comic show (and you are lucky enough to have Todd signing that day) and run to the Image booth to get a wristband before anyone else you get to wait on line for one, maybe two signatures.

Meanwhile all of the show exclusives are being taken by others and any other line you wanted to get on is around the corner and down the block.

So to answer your question you can get a free signature at the shows but it is not eligible for CGC or CBCS witnessing so you will pay $25 for VSP if you want to get the book graded without the CGC green label.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I usually pass by the Image booth, grab a McFarlane wristband, then get right online for the Image exclusives. It takes 10 seconds extra time for the wristband. Haven't gotten denied in ~10 years and that's without a dealer badge at both NYCC and SDCC.

As for statements that yellow label is "certain" to be signed by Todd - all I have to say is.... ahhhhhh yea ok. With all the shenanigans with self witnesses and friends being witnesses, etc... I have less confidence in people being honest than I do with a service that does nothing but certify autographs. But that's not the issue here with the assumption both witnessed and verified are valid methodologies.

As for the line with Mcfarlane, as long as you have a wristband I go at the end of his line with my wristband and barely wait at all (at the end of the signing when the line is whittled down to the remaining 20 people) Just jump on the back of it. You're guaranteed an autograph with a wristband so why not wait until the very end?

So I'm not sure how $0 autograph + $25 VSP + $18 grading (Red) equates to $89 autograph + $18 grading + $5 witness (Yellow). What is the fascination with the color yellow when artists often specifically charge more for witnessed autographs than raw unwitnessed when artists often charge nothing (and then I get Red VSP later)?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

False. For $5 they will crack open slabs, including yellow.

oh i wondered where you have been. if they have changed their guidance for this signing they ought to change the official guidance on their website. or maybe this is a situation where left hand does not know what right hand is doing?

Post 25 IP   flag post
The $89 includes the grading fee

Again, if you can easily get McFarlane’s sig at NYCC and SDCC, then more power to you. Not everyone is attending those shows and for someone that just wants McFarlane’s sig in a slab then $89 is cheaper than attending a convention to get one for free.

Again, both options are valid and for some one works better at certain times than others
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
The $89 includes the grading fee

Got it.
I was under the impression the $89 was JUST the autograph. Makes slightly more sense now
Post 27 IP   flag post
I believe the window bags clause is for raw books.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Just want to take the temp here.

If you were going to send in one book, what would be your choice?

Spawn #1
Spider-Man #1 Green
Spider-Man #1 Silver
Spider-Man #1 Gold

These are what I'm debating (I don't have any of the ASM keys).

These are my original, LCS purchased copies and are all probably 9.0 or higher.

Really torn on what to send and I don't think I have the budget to send two.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Just want to take the temp here.

If you were going to send in one book, what would be your choice?

Spawn #1
Spider-Man #1 Green
Spider-Man #1 Silver
Spider-Man #1 Gold

Send in the one you think will grade the highest.

These are what I'm debating (I don't have any of the ASM keys).

These are my original, LCS purchased copies and are all probably 9.0 or higher.

Really torn on what to send and I don't think I have the budget to send two.

IAW the CGC census, the number of signed copies 9.0 and higher is as follows:

Spawn #1 = 2000
SM Green = 1300
SM Silver = 1800
SM Gold = 750

Do you know if any of them Spider-Man’s were the poly-bagged editions? I’m not sure how one tells he difference. They seem to have their own category in the census...i thought they were all the same (bagged or unbagged).

I’d go with the comic that would likely grade the highest...then maybe spawn as it’s a first appearance/Mcfarlane Creation.

SM Gold is the rarest...but it’s not rare by any means.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601525 346 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?