Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

EBay Auction Funny Business10449

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Can an eBay seller cancel all bids on an auction item three days prior to the end of the auction for any reason? I ask because I was watching several comics that were being auctioned off by Dave and Adams. I even bid on two of them, and was still the high bidder on one of them when I checked on them this morning. A few minutes ago I received two emails from eBay saying that all bids were canceled (for both items I bid on). The emails provide a link to the original listings, and said to click on the bid history (which now says 0 bids) to see the reason the auction ended. Well the reason says that the item is no longer available. That’s BS, because a search shows that the items have been relisted, but not in auction format. One of the listings is asking for over $600 for the same exact comic that had a winning bid under $50 this morning. So in my opinion, the seller stopped the auction because there was no reserve and they were afraid the books would sell for way less than they wanted. I could possibly side with the seller if they actually sold the books from their on-line store before the auctions ended. But I think it’s wrong to just end auctions because you aren’t satisfied with the way they are going. What do you think? Has something similar happened to you? For those forum members who sell on eBay, are you allowed to do this for your auction listings?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I've wanted to revise my auction after a bid, but was unable to. I decided to let it stand (typographical errors in description) I've never cancelled an auction with active bids.

However, if the guy wants to mess with it, and ebay allows it, all you can do is walk away and take note not to deal with them in future.

Unfortunately he is playing by ebay rules...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a bit surprised that the seller can end an auction that has bids without some sort of penalty.

Complete waste of your time and pretty lame.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
You are aloud to end auctions on eBay long as it has more then 12 hours left
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte - Thanks for the response. It also makes me wonder if heavy hitters like Dave and Adams are allowed to follow a different set of rules than most sellers.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo

As with all things, if you have enough money, anything can be swayed. Think Facebook and world domination. I mean wow, they want to create their own currency? (Sorry if that dips into politics, I'll refrain from further comment)

There is a saying that with a big enough lever, I can move the world. I think th modern equivalent is, with enough leverage I can shape the entire world.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Buyers on eBay can refuse to pay with impunity.

Even if there is five minutes left in the auction a buyer can ask you to cancel the bid (they can no longer do so) and refusing to do so will only get you more grief when they later fail to pay for the item.

As a seller it is not worth your time and effort to attempt to punish them. Sure you might be able to give them a buyer's strike but waiting to make it happen means a couple days that your item is not listed for sale.

I have found that cancellations are infrequent (they still happen) on buy it now items. Auction bidders are flaky as hell.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Robert86m - I did not know that. So there is absolutely no risk or penalty for the seller who auctions off anything without a reserve and stops the auction at least 12 hours before it ends? So why would you bother to put a reserve on an item?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I should have read the OP before posting, I didn't realize it was the seller who was cancelling.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Reserves don't really get used much anymore only by new people not thinking and paying ebay 10% of whatever the reserve is if the item sells or not you owe them for setting it
Post 10 IP   flag post
@drchaos

Regardless of your intent. Thank you for sharing. Learned something new....
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
From eBay:

Whether you can end your auction listing early depends on if you've received any bids yet, how long is left in the auction, and if you have a reserve price in place.

You can end your auction listing early, if:

There are no bids yet on your item
There are bids on your item, and you are willing to sell your item to the current highest bidder
There are bids on your item and you don't want to sell it to the highest bidder, but there are 12 or more hours left in the listing. In this situation, you'll need to cancel all active bids before you can end your listing. We charge a fee for ending a listing in this way

You can't end your auction listing early, if:

There are fewer than 12 hours left in the listing, you've received bids, and you don't want to sell it to the highest bidder
There are fewer than 12 hours left in the listing, you've received bids, but the item's reserve price hasn't been met yet.

If you're not eligible to cancel your listing, you can contact any bidders to explain the situation and ask them to retract their bids. If the auction has finished, you can contact the winner and, if they agree, you can cancel the transaction.

Ending listings early disappoints bidders, so we may place limits and restrictions on your account if you are doing so regularly.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
This is part of the reason I don't like eBay auctions and eBay in general. Crap like this happens all the time.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Unfortunately I dont know of any other venue that has this big an audience.

I know when I am searching for stuff, aside from Amazon this place is on the top of my list.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Robert86m - I did not know that. So there is absolutely no risk or penalty for the seller who auctions off anything without a reserve and stops the auction at least 12 hours before it ends? So why would you bother to put a reserve on an item?

It is indeed a bunch of BS ED, Its one thing if the book is legitimately "no longer availble", but Ebay should not allow them to turn around and blatantly relist the item, that's just plain wrong.

Most experience sellers who auction are well aware that the real bidding action doesn't start until the last couple of hours of the auction.

With 2 days to go on a $600 book I highly doubt you were going to pick it up for $50 bucks. The flurry of bid activity doesn't usually occur until the last 15 minutes.

So it seems odd that an Experienced seller such as this would end it well in advance of the 12 hour minimum.

If you don't mind me asking...... Im assuming your high bid was higher than the $50? or were you prepared to bid higher later if need be?

It just seems odd that they canceled well in advance of the 12 hour mark.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 I was thinking the same. Auctions commonly look like they’ll be amazing deals when there are still a couple of days to go. Then in the last 10 minutes the price rockets up.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 - The two books I bid on were X-Men #49 CGC 8.5 with White pages and a Superboy #86 CGC 8.5 with OW/W pages (4th Legion Appearance). The high bid on the X-Men #49 was $91 this morning and it is now listed by the same seller as Buy it Now for $223.95 (says Compare at $299.95, 25% off - more BS, there's a Make Offer option, maybe I should offer $92). The Superboy #86 was at $34 this morning (how's that for a nice price!) and it is now offered as Buy it Now for $626.95 (Compare at $699.95. 10% off - yes, and nearly 20X more than the highest bidder). On items that I am interested in I often times will throw in an early low bid. That way the item will show up in my Bids section on eBay and I will get email alerts when the auction is ending. I actually got my HP Scanner that way - I threw down an opening bid and forgot about it until I found out I won it (That auction ended mid-day, mid-week and I was at work and completely forgot about it. I didn't even check my emails until later that day, after it had ended - now that was a nice surprise.). Regarding both of those books (and possibly another one or two by the same seller), I would have bid higher (but no where near $600 for that Superboy).

By the way, I have purchased comics from Dave and Adams before with no problems. So I figured they were a decent seller and that the auction was legitimate.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe they were consigned books and owner got cold feet backed out. I don't know

Yes I would absolutely make a $92 offer on the book with a note in the message section.

"Please consider my offer as this was my high bid on the item before you canceled the auction because the item was "NO LONGER AVAILABLE" You friggin Jackwagon! (Ok you can leave that part out)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Sounds like they were gauging interest in the books and decided not to take a chance.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps by not including a reserve price In he listing he considered it to be an error (in judgement) and cancelled it. Should have used that as the reason, not “item no longer available” if so.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Slightly related but not regarding auctions; For Dave and Adams, as with MCS, never use BIN on Ebay, go to their site and find the same book for 10% less. MCS grades tight and buying raw is often better value than buying slabbed...Dave and Adams is opposite, their grading is very loose and I would never buy anything other than slabbed from them.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Well it happened again. Last night I was bidding on an FF #19 and an ASM #53 in separate auctions by the same seller. The FF ended first and I was notified by eBay that I won the book which is now in my Purchases window under Pay Now. A few minutes later I get a message from the seller apologizing saying the book I won was no longer available. I was still involved in other auctions and did not reply. Then I won the ASM book and that is also now in my Purchases window.

I am now trying to figure out how to respond to the seller’s message. Also, according to an earlier response from @DrWatson, sellers can cancel auctions up to 24-hours before they are supposed to end. Can they cancel after the auction ends and you are notified you won the book? If a winning bid is a legal binding contract to pay for an item, shouldn’t the seller be also legally bound to deliver the won item to the winning bidder in the condition advertised?

What are my options? Don’t pay for either book? Pay for both and then contact eBay when only one arrives (the seller’s message said don’t pay for the FF or he would have to refund my money for it)? Can I contact eBay now and ask for their assistance?

This is getting to be far too common! The FF wasn’t even on my radar until I saw the ASM and looked at the other listings. So getting that issue isn’t that important to me. But to keep getting books taken away from me by various sellers has gotten me a little pissed off.
Post 22 IP   flag post
from ebay:

If you can’t complete a sale with a buyer – for example, the item is damaged, you have fewer items in stock than you thought, or the buyer purchased the item using the wrong shipping address – you can cancel the transaction.

If at all possible, try to avoid canceling a transaction because you don't have the item to send – it's considered a transaction defect and may affect your seller performance level. The buyer will still be able to leave you negative or neutral feedback about the transaction.

(The seller can) cancel a transaction as long as:

You haven't sent the item yet
The buyer hasn't asked us to step in and help because they didn't receive the item
You haven't opened an unpaid item case

After you cancel, we'll let the buyer know. If they've already paid, they'll get a refund.

Top Takeaway
If you cancel a transaction, it is considered a transaction defect and could affect your seller performance level. However, a buyer-requested cancellation does not affect your seller performance.

So basically, an ebay seller can get out of a sale at any time for any reason
Post 23 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@esarvo FYI, even if you won the auction and the seller refuses to fulfill by using the oops, it is unavailable excuse, you can and should still hit him with negative feedback as this appears to be a pattern. Furthermore, you can report his consistent skirting of ebay rules to ebay, and they will likely send the seller a warning.

I actually cancelled a sale a couple of months ago, but that is because I found that the CGC case had a crack in it (which i found too common with that case). Sent the buyer a note and pic hoping he wouldn't tag me and thankfully he did not, but ebay did mark me with a defect which if that occurs to 3% of my sale would prevent me from getting my Top Seller status. I promptly sent it in to CBCS for grade and fresh holder and Wolverine #1 is back up on ebay!
Post 24 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
...But to keep getting books taken away from me by various sellers has gotten me a little pissed off.

This would aggravate me to no end. ugh!!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I just went through this on CL...very irritating. I wanted a early TEC Joker cover and although there were bids..I accepted the sellers BIN and received my email confirming I purchased the book. A week goes by with no messages detailing the purchase..I call yesterday and Im told the seller changed his mind and isn't accepting my offer (at his asking price - which was slightly above GPA mind you). Now...CL was very good and professional about it and seemed genuinely irritated that this guy did this and I wasn't notified ...but bottom line: it's a douche move on the seller's part..but what can I do about it
Post 26 IP   flag post
Update:

I responded to the seller’s message stating that I was disappointed, angry and frustrated that he would make a comic unavailable after an auction ended. I did my best to be rational, did not swear, and did not make any threats in my response (I only had 1000 characters). I ended my response by simply saying - Please resolve this.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Second Update:

After reading my response and giving it some thought, the seller has agreed to honor my winning bid for the FF #19. So I paid him for that issue and the ASM #53 as well, and I will hold my breath for a week or more to see if they actually arrive.

PS - I was so bummed out over this situation that to cheer myself up I bought a beautiful 9.0 graded copy of Adventure Comics #366 with white pages (a big upgrade over my raw dog-eared copy) to cheer myself up. Now I am bummed out over spending so much money on comics today!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
After reading my response and giving it some thought, the seller has agreed to honor my winning bid for the FF #19. So I paid him for that issue and the ASM #53 as well, and I will hold my breath for a week or more to see if they actually arrive.

Even though he relented, the fact that he initially said the book was no longer available puts him solidly in the untrustworthy category. Maybe after you get the books you can name and shame the seller here.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
re: no longer available

To be fair, when cancelling an auction, Ebay gives you options to choose from as to the reason for the cancellation. As far as I know, they do not give you the option of writing in your own reason. I remember when I cancelled a bunch of BINs (because I moved them to a different venue), all of the options were BS & were not even close to the real reason I was canceling ... so I chose "no longer available".

Whenever I buy a comic, and the sale is later cancelled, I know from experience that regardless of the reason Ebay states, I do not know for a fact why it was cancelled.

ps - It may be different for auctions...I've only done BINs
Post 30 IP   flag post
601325 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?