Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

EBay Auction Funny Business10449

Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I just went through this on CL...very irritating. I wanted a early TEC Joker cover and although there were bids..I accepted the sellers BIN and received my email confirming I purchased the book. A week goes by with no messages detailing the purchase..I call yesterday and Im told the seller changed his mind and isn't accepting my offer (at his asking price - which was slightly above GPA mind you). Now...CL was very good and professional about it and seemed genuinely irritated that this guy did this and I wasn't notified ...but bottom line: it's a douche move on the seller's part..but what can I do about it
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Update:

I responded to the seller’s message stating that I was disappointed, angry and frustrated that he would make a comic unavailable after an auction ended. I did my best to be rational, did not swear, and did not make any threats in my response (I only had 1000 characters). I ended my response by simply saying - Please resolve this.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Second Update:

After reading my response and giving it some thought, the seller has agreed to honor my winning bid for the FF #19. So I paid him for that issue and the ASM #53 as well, and I will hold my breath for a week or more to see if they actually arrive.

PS - I was so bummed out over this situation that to cheer myself up I bought a beautiful 9.0 graded copy of Adventure Comics #366 with white pages (a big upgrade over my raw dog-eared copy) to cheer myself up. Now I am bummed out over spending so much money on comics today!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
After reading my response and giving it some thought, the seller has agreed to honor my winning bid for the FF #19. So I paid him for that issue and the ASM #53 as well, and I will hold my breath for a week or more to see if they actually arrive.

Even though he relented, the fact that he initially said the book was no longer available puts him solidly in the untrustworthy category. Maybe after you get the books you can name and shame the seller here.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
re: no longer available

To be fair, when cancelling an auction, Ebay gives you options to choose from as to the reason for the cancellation. As far as I know, they do not give you the option of writing in your own reason. I remember when I cancelled a bunch of BINs (because I moved them to a different venue), all of the options were BS & were not even close to the real reason I was canceling ... so I chose "no longer available".

Whenever I buy a comic, and the sale is later cancelled, I know from experience that regardless of the reason Ebay states, I do not know for a fact why it was cancelled.

ps - It may be different for auctions...I've only done BINs
Post 30 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Even though he relented, the fact that he initially said the book was no longer available puts him solidly in the untrustworthy category. Maybe after you get the books you can name and shame the seller here.

OH ... I thought when he said "by the same seller," he meant: the same seller as the OP (Dave and Adam's). I was going to say, D&A have an FF #19 on sale on their site, too.

But maybe it was your interpretation, and he just meant: both auctions in this new post were by the same seller.

I'm glad it worked out for you, @esaravo ! Congratulations on your new books. I almost bought a Daredevil #1 7.5 yesterday on HA. I can't really afford it just now, but it was $1000 under 12-month GPA ... final price was $3360, all in, and I tied for the final bid price. (12-month GPA is $4416.) I might have bid again, but I don't really like the HA live auction interface.

I love the book, but I'm glad I didn't win it. So I sympathize with your newest acquisitions. Buying awesome books can be a mixed blessing sometimes.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Both books arrived today. I will post in the Auctions thread.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
I'm glad it worked out for you, @esaravo ! Congratulations on your new books. I almost bought a Daredevil #1 7.5 yesterday on HA. I can't really afford it just now, but it was $1000 under 12-month GPA ... final price was $3360, all in, and I tied for the final bid price. (12-month GPA is $4416.) I might have bid again, but I don't really like the HA live auction interface.

That price is ridiculous, but it supports a theory I've been concocting. So many stories of winning bids not being honored. Never heard of this before. My theory is that we are in a comic buying hangover right now. It was going gang-busters through Endgame, then through comic-con and then for about a month after the MCU updates. Now the buying dollar is spread thinner with so many "keys" being created with new announcements all the time. Enthusiasm has wained, auction sales are disappointing, and I think sellers are getting shocked by how low their auctions are going for relative to perceived FMV. I think we have about 30 days until the release of Star Wars brings the spring/summer trailers that gets the buyers engines revving again. Probably better to be a buyer than a seller for the next 30 days.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller @Tedsaid as mentioned in so many previous posts - HA potential shill bids on their own auctions. They actually state in their terms of references that they may do so.

When you enter your bids before the live bidding takes place, HA knows what your max is. I only do live bids on HA to minimize the risk that I am bidding against the house.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
When you enter your bids before the live bidding takes place, HA knows what your max is. I only do live bids on HA to minimize the risk that I am bidding against the house.

excellent point. If they know your max bid it would certainly be easy enough to use that information to benefit themselves and the seller. Insider info is hard to compete with.

I once had the misfortune of attending a time-share presentation with my brother. The salesman was trying to pitch the investment value of the time shares. If you could reserve New Years week or other "prime" weeks you could resell that week to vacationers for far more than your annual dues. He said that he and the other salesman were buying time share units just to do exactly that, resell their prime weeks at a profit. My brother said "wait a second, if we buy a timeshare here we will be competing with you and the other salesmen who are able to book the prime weeks the second they come available? Seems like you might have a competitive advantage over us, we're out of here."
Post 35 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@EbaySeller @Tedsaid as mentioned in so many previous posts - HA potential shill bids on their own auctions. They actually state in their terms of references that they may do so.

Yep. You had told me that before, which is exactly why I had no enthusiasm for the auction. HA is happy either way ... either THEY get Daredevil #1 for $1000 off the value, or they shill up the bid. I just didn't feel like bidding against someone who very well could have been the house.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

Yep. You had told me that before, which is exactly why I had no enthusiasm for the auction. HA is happy either way ... either THEY get Daredevil #1 for $1000 off the value, or they shill up the bid. I just didn't feel like bidding against someone who very well could have been the house.

It gets better, the house only has to pay the consignor which can be as low as just 70% of the final hammer price. That could potentially knock off another $1,000.00 on that particular book. There is no indication of who the actual winner was, but the potential is there.
Post 37 IP   flag post
600900 37 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?