Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I wouldn't buy a Modern with Stan's sig, but with so many newer and younger enthusiasts diving in the hobby, I can see the appeal for a fan of The Man who can't afford a signed Silver Age comic.


I had Stan sign my The Amazing Spider-Man #99 paid I believe $20 for it and the store was like it's probably a 7.0 as many minor defects to them but I didn't see any.


Got it signed at NYCC 2016 by Stan sent to CGC for Grading and guess what???.............................
It came back with 9.2 Grade! I was so impressed! Granted I am not going to resell and it's in a special frame with a 98% UV blocking screen style protector over the slab.
Personally didn't like his signature and told the facilitator guy i don't like it, so might not send for grading. He told me we did a few Stan signings in past and this has to be the sharpest signature he has seen and am I interested in selling to him?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I wouldn't buy a Modern with Stan's sig, but with so many newer and younger enthusiasts diving in the hobby, I can see the appeal for a fan of The Man who can't afford a signed Silver Age comic.


I had Stan sign my The Amazing Spider-Man #99 paid I believe $20 for it and the store was like it's probably a 7.0 as many minor defects to them but I didn't see any.


Got it signed at NYCC 2016 by Stan sent to CGC for Grading and guess what???.............................
It came back with 9.2 Grade! I was so impressed! Granted I am not going to resell and it's in a special frame with a 98% UV blocking screen style protector over the slab.
Personally didn't like his signature and told the facilitator guy i don't like it, so might not send for grading. He told me we did a few Stan signings in past and this has to be the sharpest signature he has seen and am I interested in selling to him?


Sharp grading skills- Are they still in business?
I read something like this and my first thought is usually that such an assessment is followed by an offer to buy the comic before offering for sale as a 9.4
But I'm cynical.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I wouldn't buy a Modern with Stan's sig, but with so many newer and younger enthusiasts diving in the hobby, I can see the appeal for a fan of The Man who can't afford a signed Silver Age comic.


I had Stan sign my The Amazing Spider-Man #99 paid I believe $20 for it and the store was like it's probably a 7.0 as many minor defects to them but I didn't see any.


Got it signed at NYCC 2016 by Stan sent to CGC for Grading and guess what???.............................
It came back with 9.2 Grade! I was so impressed! Granted I am not going to resell and it's in a special frame with a 98% UV blocking screen style protector over the slab.
Personally didn't like his signature and told the facilitator guy i don't like it, so might not send for grading. He told me we did a few Stan signings in past and this has to be the sharpest signature he has seen and am I interested in selling to him?


Sharp grading skills- Are they still in business?

I read something like this and my first thought is usually that such an assessment is followed by an offer to buy the comic before offering for sale as a 9.4
But I'm cynical.


They are...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Jabberwookie Makes perfect sense! I too, have kids that my collection will be passed on to. I've included them in the collection process so they have knowledge of the hobby. When I'm chasing books we talk about why this book is important, what I look for in a potential candidate and what the sweet spot price is. I tell them that if they want my collection left for them when I pass, it's a good idea for them to know the ins and outs (atleast in a general sense) of the hobby. They may not know what particular books are worth, but to atleast know there is value here and where to find the current value when it comes time to sell.


I love this answer. So cool you're doing that!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
@GAC
Generally anything he signs will boos the value as you said it's Stan. I agree that's why most charge for a for a autograph. Someone will give poor Stan some water warp comic they bought for $0.50 and have him sign it an sell it for lots of money just cause Stan signed it. This really goes for anyone though, the person signing wants you in debt at minimum the amount of money you paid for their autograph and you will not profit as high if they didn't charge you for autograph. Most will argue they are being selfish and greedy and money hungry but I understand the standpoint and also I can side with person signing too as know way of distinguishing who is a real fan and just a scalper. The auctioneer suit people who have booths at comic cons I personally hate cause all they know if key issues that will bring them money and not real fans.

That is just my view but then again I am the type who will never buy anything someone else had got signed, I want to be there and see for self. The only exception I would consider if the person is deceased and their is a COA from reputable place or picture or video proof of them signing.


I find this pretty interesting. Makes you wonder if a low value book signed is a better investment than a high value book signed?

Ah, well. Signatures for me have to mean something to me. I couldn't just load up on them.
Post 30 IP   flag post


Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
@GAC
Generally anything he signs will boos the value as you said it's Stan. I agree that's why most charge for a for a autograph. Someone will give poor Stan some water warp comic they bought for $0.50 and have him sign it an sell it for lots of money just cause Stan signed it. This really goes for anyone though, the person signing wants you in debt at minimum the amount of money you paid for their autograph and you will not profit as high if they didn't charge you for autograph. Most will argue they are being selfish and greedy and money hungry but I understand the standpoint and also I can side with person signing too as know way of distinguishing who is a real fan and just a scalper. The auctioneer suit people who have booths at comic cons I personally hate cause all they know if key issues that will bring them money and not real fans.

That is just my view but then again I am the type who will never buy anything someone else had got signed, I want to be there and see for self. The only exception I would consider if the person is deceased and their is a COA from reputable place or picture or video proof of them signing.


I find this pretty interesting. Makes you wonder if a low value book signed is a better investment than a high value book signed?

Ah, well. Signatures for me have to mean something to me. I couldn't just load up on them.


I personally think a High Value Book with Signature will be bring even more money. This is compared to that if it's just a normal book. I would personally would just pay no more than the price of book plus person's signature fee if I really really wanted the book and wasn't a high value book.
As I mentioned I prefer getting signature myself and have gotten all self of signatures of comics and non comics, but if person I wanted died I would consider but needs proof and documentation of signature.

I have experienced first hand when doing signings some are just in for the resell and not a fan of the person, all they see is $$.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@hitmantyler

I agree completely. I’d much rather get the signature myself rather than just buy one.

There are exceptions, of course. To me, anyway, the signature is just part of the experience.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I think there are exceptions to things..I live in an area where we seldom get anyone signing anything live. The closest show to me is five hours drive each way, to KC. If I want a signature from someone and I can find a decent book I like that is a witnessed signature for a fair price and its someone that I really want the signature from, I will buy it. I got my only Steranko book that way, and I bought my two Stan Lee signatures one prior to his passing and one recently.If you are looking at paying to drive ten solid hours, show admission, cost of the witnessed signature, then grading and slabbing , then shipping that signature just got very cost prohibitive.
I do have some neat signatures I got in person at Dallas Fantasy fair back in the nineties...Nodel, Schwartz, Aragones, etc, but that was long before slabbed books were common and witnessed signatures were a thing.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I think there are exceptions to things..I live in an area where we seldom get anyone signing anything live. The closest show to me is five hours drive each way, to KC. If I want a signature from someone and I can find a decent book I like that is a witnessed signature for a fair price and its someone that I really want the signature from, I will buy it. I got my only Steranko book that way, and I bought my two Stan Lee signatures one prior to his passing and one recently.If you are looking at paying to drive ten solid hours, show admission, cost of the witnessed signature, then grading and slabbing , then shipping that signature just got very cost prohibitive.
I do have some neat signatures I got in person at Dallas Fantasy fair back in the nineties...Nodel, Schwartz, Aragones, etc, but that was long before slabbed books were common and witnessed signatures were a thing.


I love comics and conventions, but I’m not sure I could drive 10 hours for one. That is dedication, there.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Ah, well. Signatures for me have to mean something to me. I couldn't just load up on them.


That's what I think makes my Royer collection special- That each one I obtained personally, signed in his Studio. If we fall on hard times, I'll sell my Amazing Fantasy #15-ASM #375 and Avengers #1-#300 runs first.

But I do have several I haven't obtained personally. It's becoming increasingly unlikely that I'll meet George Perez, so I'm very happy to have several of his- One was a surprise found in a $3 book.

Another $3 surprise sig AND sketch was from Sergio Aragones.


Post 35 IP   flag post
270519 35 10
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute