Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious, and thought I'd enlist the experts here.

How much more does a signature change a comics value?

For example, I've got an Avengers 17 graded 3.5 by CBCS, and it has Stan Lee's signature (also, verified by CBCS.)

When I look it up on GoCollect, it's a $40 book, but how much does the signature matter?

I'm not selling it, but I am trying to get an approximate value for my books, just in case anything ever happened to me.

I'd hate my wife and kids to sell the whole collection for peanuts.

So, how much does the autograph affect the book value? Is it a percentage thing?

I know it'll be subjective to the signer, and so on, but I'm sure there's a "rule of thumb" of some sort, right?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
For a 3.5, probably whatever Stan charged for his Sig near the end.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie There really is no set way of determining the value of a signed book.

It very much depends on the combination of the book (the specific issue as well as condition) and the person(s) signing it. In Stan’s case the fact that he has passed would also be a consideration.

Your best bet would be to try to find books of similar significance and desirability with the same signature(s) and see what those have sold for
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie exactly what @dielinfinite said! I know what you're looking for and I wish I could say; sigs are a 20% premium over non-sigs. It's on a case by case basis as well as when you're looking it up. I have a Jack Kirby verified sig on a New Gods 1. I don't know for sure but I'd bet his signature is probably worth more on a Marvel book than a DC book even if the 2 books were of same value....just a hunch tho.
Post 4 IP   flag post
All great points, everyone.

@dielinfinite-The book I have isn't worth much in the grand scheme. It meant something to me.

@Siggy Thanks!

@GAC- Yeah, I figured those would be the answers, but wasn't sure if some kind of trend was forming.

Stan's signature has the unusual distinction of being in high demand and there's a high supply.

By the way, totally jealous on the Kirby signature. I'm sure you saw I got some The Demon recently. I think I'll try and complete that run.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
collectors are funny too when it comes to sigs. Some love them and will pay premiums and others dont like them at all and consider them defacing the book. Personally, I'm not a big signature collector at all but I do have a Jack Kirby sig that I'll never sell. I have several other signed books that I have zero attachment to that I'd sell no problem.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
collectors are funny too when it comes to sigs. Some love them and will pay premiums and others dont like them at all and consider them defacing the book. Personally, I'm not a big signature collector at all but I do have a Jack Kirby sig that I'll never sell. I have several other signed books that I have zero attachment to that I'd sell no problem.

I think that's what I really was after. I'd thought signatures were a big deal, but I'm learning some hate them.

I'd keep that Kirby signature forever, too.

I only have two, and I'm comfortable with being picky. I've got Steranko, and Stan Lee.

There aren't many others I'd pay for.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I think that's what I really was after. I'd thought signatures were a big deal, but I'm learning some hate them.

I'd keep that Kirby signature forever, too.

I only have two, and I'm comfortable with being picky. I've got Steranko, and Stan Lee.

There aren't many others I'd pay for.

For sure! I'd give my right arm for a Steve Ditko...especially on an early Spidey or Dr. Strange book. I currently have a Joe Simon in VSP as we speak. It's on a Cap 1 70th Anniversary book. If that passes (and I think it will), I'll love that book too. it'll sit right next to my Kirby. I have a personal collection of less than a thousand books and 3 books have sigs (including the Joe Simon). For me, it has to be the golden/silver age giants for it to matter. Others love them to death and want any and all creator signatures.
Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post
@GAC Love it!!!

Good luck on the other signature.

I'd love a Marshall Rogers signature, and I really wish I'd gotten my Avengers 16 signed, but I did not have it then.

If I run into Steranko again, I'll have him sign my Detective Comics 1000.

Stan signed everything. When I was there, I saw him sign a Death of Superman. Whaaa???
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - Do you mean Joe Sinnott?

Post 11 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie Thank you!! lol!! That's funny (Stan signing Death of Supes). Steranko is a sig I'd like to have as well. His sig is a work of art all on it's own. He's a genius.

this is the book I currently have in vsp...fingers crossed it passes.

Post 12 IP   flag post
@esaravo that is a beautiful book!!! love it!!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Many hate them, and they're still a big deal.

I have over 400 comics signed by Mike Royer alone. Why would someone's dislike of signatures in comic books they don't even own make me feel any other way? If I learned tomorrow that a whopping 95% of collectors hate signed comics, I wouldn't care.

If you feel your collection is likely to be sold, then maybe I can see a reason to reconsider, but there is a strong signature market that should also be part of that reconsideration.

If you love that 3.5 Avengers 17 signed by Stan, you win.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:

I have over 400 comics signed by Mike Royer alone. Why would someone's dislike of signatures in comic books they don't even own make me feel any other way? If I learned tomorrow that a whopping 95% of collectors hate signed comics, I wouldn't care.

If you feel your collection is likely to be sold, then maybe I can see a reason to reconsider, but there is a strong signature market that should also be part of that reconsideration.

Perfect post! Couldn't agree more. The reality is there is a very dedicated, passionate and robust signature market. There is no worries of signatures falling out of favour.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
One of the reasons I prefer GPA over other sources...on GPA they show an Avengers 17 in 3.5 at 22.00 but last sold march 2011

They show a 4.0 in May trading for around 52 so there is at least a ballpark where the basic book would land...

Looking at the various prices of signed vs unsigned, his signature seems to impact the book price at around 75 dollars or basically what Siggy said...
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Sandman #1 VSP Jack Kirby 7.5. Book is maybe $40, but the sig? I have seen asking prices at 250+ for same grade/signed. But no sales...kirby auto should be at least 100, but who knows?

I also have Walt Disney Comics & Stories 201 VSP 6.5. Book is maybe $10. Higher issue number sold for over 250, much lower issue number sold for over 1000. No telling what mine will sell for.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I agree. I do consider myself a winner, but like anything, I'm trying to get something of an appraisal. Whether I like to think of it or not, I have to consider that I have things of value that I'm leaving for my kids.

I just want to be sure I understand that value (to an extent, anyway) in any afterlife plans.

My daughter has already laid claim to that book, and my son wants the Steranko.

I just want to be sure they understand the value, and, hopefully, don't sell them for a water bill or something.

If any of that makes sense?
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie Makes perfect sense! I too, have kids that my collection will be passed on to. I've included them in the collection process so they have knowledge of the hobby. When I'm chasing books we talk about why this book is important, what I look for in a potential candidate and what the sweet spot price is. I tell them that if they want my collection left for them when I pass, it's a good idea for them to know the ins and outs (atleast in a general sense) of the hobby. They may not know what particular books are worth, but to atleast know there is value here and where to find the current value when it comes time to sell.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
I personally think a signature shouldn't decrease value of book as long as it's signed by someone who had involvement of the book ie; colorist, creator, etc.

Now if a person signs has nothing to do with the book this should lower the value.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@hitmantyler what do you think of a Stan Lee sig on a modern Captain America book, increase or decrease value?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@GAC personally think would lower value, i personally wouldn't pay any extra for it. I would rather it be on a Silver age Avengers book.

It's like when I met Stan Lee at NYCC in 2016 (Final NYCC) and the CGC witnesses were trying to "upsell" you to get John Romita Sr. to sign the book or item Stan just signed for additional $40. I personally didn't get him as he didn't contribute anything to the book I got signed. I did see some people agreeing and paying and he didn't contribute to their book either.
They didn't tell me about the Stan Lee label either and now it's too late and cannot get it if I wanted it.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I wouldn't buy a Modern with Stan's sig, but with so many newer and younger enthusiasts diving in the hobby, I can see the appeal for a fan of The Man who can't afford a signed Silver Age comic.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@hitmantyler @Siggy I chose a modern Cap as my example because Stan is not a creator nor a writer but Stan is Stan and an icon so I'd say he probably would boost the value of a signed modern book. He's the anomaly though....I wouldn't buy it but I'm sure many would. I would buy a comic that had an authentic Ditko sig even if it wasn't on one of his comics but that's only because I'm a huge Ditko fan.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@GAC
Generally anything he signs will boos the value as you said it's Stan. I agree that's why most charge for a for a autograph. Someone will give poor Stan some water warp comic they bought for $0.50 and have him sign it an sell it for lots of money just cause Stan signed it. This really goes for anyone though, the person signing wants you in debt at minimum the amount of money you paid for their autograph and you will not profit as high if they didn't charge you for autograph. Most will argue they are being selfish and greedy and money hungry but I understand the standpoint and also I can side with person signing too as know way of distinguishing who is a real fan and just a scalper. The auctioneer suit people who have booths at comic cons I personally hate cause all they know if key issues that will bring them money and not real fans.

That is just my view but then again I am the type who will never buy anything someone else had got signed, I want to be there and see for self. The only exception I would consider if the person is deceased and their is a COA from reputable place or picture or video proof of them signing.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
I wouldn't buy a Modern with Stan's sig, but with so many newer and younger enthusiasts diving in the hobby, I can see the appeal for a fan of The Man who can't afford a signed Silver Age comic.

I had Stan sign my The Amazing Spider-Man #99 paid I believe $20 for it and the store was like it's probably a 7.0 as many minor defects to them but I didn't see any.

Got it signed at NYCC 2016 by Stan sent to CGC for Grading and guess what???.............................
It came back with 9.2 Grade! I was so impressed! Granted I am not going to resell and it's in a special frame with a 98% UV blocking screen style protector over the slab.
Personally didn't like his signature and told the facilitator guy i don't like it, so might not send for grading. He told me we did a few Stan signings in past and this has to be the sharpest signature he has seen and am I interested in selling to him?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
Quote:

I had Stan sign my The Amazing Spider-Man #99 paid I believe $20 for it and the store was like it's probably a 7.0 as many minor defects to them but I didn't see any.

Got it signed at NYCC 2016 by Stan sent to CGC for Grading and guess what???.............................
It came back with 9.2 Grade! I was so impressed! Granted I am not going to resell and it's in a special frame with a 98% UV blocking screen style protector over the slab.
Personally didn't like his signature and told the facilitator guy i don't like it, so might not send for grading. He told me we did a few Stan signings in past and this has to be the sharpest signature he has seen and am I interested in selling to him?

Sharp grading skills- Are they still in business?
I read something like this and my first thought is usually that such an assessment is followed by an offer to buy the comic before offering for sale as a 9.4
But I'm cynical.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sharp grading skills- Are they still in business?

I read something like this and my first thought is usually that such an assessment is followed by an offer to buy the comic before offering for sale as a 9.4
But I'm cynical.

They are...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Jabberwookie Makes perfect sense! I too, have kids that my collection will be passed on to. I've included them in the collection process so they have knowledge of the hobby. When I'm chasing books we talk about why this book is important, what I look for in a potential candidate and what the sweet spot price is. I tell them that if they want my collection left for them when I pass, it's a good idea for them to know the ins and outs (atleast in a general sense) of the hobby. They may not know what particular books are worth, but to atleast know there is value here and where to find the current value when it comes time to sell.

I love this answer. So cool you're doing that!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
@GAC
Generally anything he signs will boos the value as you said it's Stan. I agree that's why most charge for a for a autograph. Someone will give poor Stan some water warp comic they bought for $0.50 and have him sign it an sell it for lots of money just cause Stan signed it. This really goes for anyone though, the person signing wants you in debt at minimum the amount of money you paid for their autograph and you will not profit as high if they didn't charge you for autograph. Most will argue they are being selfish and greedy and money hungry but I understand the standpoint and also I can side with person signing too as know way of distinguishing who is a real fan and just a scalper. The auctioneer suit people who have booths at comic cons I personally hate cause all they know if key issues that will bring them money and not real fans.

That is just my view but then again I am the type who will never buy anything someone else had got signed, I want to be there and see for self. The only exception I would consider if the person is deceased and their is a COA from reputable place or picture or video proof of them signing.

I find this pretty interesting. Makes you wonder if a low value book signed is a better investment than a high value book signed?

Ah, well. Signatures for me have to mean something to me. I couldn't just load up on them.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601474 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?