Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Question on Grading for Loss of color right on the spine of the book10434

Collector ronvaughan private msg quote post Address this user
All, I have the Watchmen 1986 series books from 1-12. These books were never read and bagged once I bought them. But in looking at them lat night there are a few that have color loss right on the spine. Its like the black color was rubbed off, but these were bagged correctly. I read a post on a CGC forum that stated the papers in the early 90's seem to contribute to this.
Has anyone seen this and does this effect the grading? Besides that all of these are high grades

Thanks all
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
It would most likely affect the grade. Can you show some pics?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes pics please.

The simple act of bagging and boarding a comic book does not automatically make it a high grade or Mint book. regardless weather it has been read or not. Most books are flawed right off the press.

How are you storing them?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ronvaughan private msg quote post Address this user
Storing - Acid free boxes (Short) with Gerbers Mylars and their backers. I have a humidity thermometer with the comics which are in a built wood enclosure with metal gratings that the boxes sit on. The humidity is consistant at 49-51%. I pack the comics so they are not extremely tight but they can not fall over on a tilt. I face front to front, than back to back with in the box etc.. I will send a scanned picture of some of those comics that have color loss on the very spine
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronvaughan
Storing - Acid free boxes (Short) with Gerbers Mylars and their backers. I have a humidity thermometer with the comics which are in a built wood enclosure with metal gratings that the boxes sit on. The humidity is consistant at 49-51%. I pack the comics so they are not extremely tight but they can not fall over on a tilt. I face front to front, than back to back with in the box etc.. I will send a scanned picture of some of those comics that have color loss on the very spine

I agree with that method.

Waaay back before there were bags and boards, I stored my books flat using this same method so that was no spine on spine.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I know exactly what he is talking about. I can pull some examples later.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600783 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?