Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkCBCS GradedComics Silver AgePop Culture

Happy Birthday Jim Steranko10394

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
James F. "Jim" Steranko will turn 80 on November 5th. Although he did not produce mass quantities of material for comics like numerous other artists, the work he did in comics was and is something wonderful to behold. It seems like most of his covers are now considered to be classics, and they are sought out by many collectors. And if you ever get a chance to meet him at a convention, it is well worth your time and effort.

I am creating this thread as an appreciation for his work. I just finished completing a run of Nick Fury #1-7 that features his work on each and every cover (and the interior artwork on several issues also) and I am going to post my scans of those issues here. Feel free to add scans of all your Steranko titles and artwork too. Since his body of work was pretty small, there are bound to be duplicates, but the more the merrier! Thank you, Jim Steranko, for being an innovator to the medium that we all love.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post

Post 8 IP   flag post
So let's see what you have - comics, magazines, original art, etc.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Incredible books!!! Steranko is a legend! He stands shoulder to should with the giants of the industry. He's a genius!
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo brother I am jealous of your run. Steranko is one of the few aspects of this hobby which still interests me anymore. One day I hope to put together a run similar to yours. Here is my favorite Steranko item I own.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user

Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Had the opportunity to have one of those diners with Mr. Steranko 2 yrs ago - would jump at the chance again if he came to a con near me once more!!!

This time round I have a little more set aside and would spring for some original art!

Post 15 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Even the man's SIGNATURE is artistic. Just an incredible talent.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Birthday, JS!

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Happy birthday, Jim!

I've been chasing a high-grade copy of this issue and Steranko cover for a while - I'd probably trade the proverbial farm if anyone had one available... (wink wink, nudge nudge)

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
All great covers, but that Nick Fury cover run is iconic!
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user

After many years, I'm happy to have.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Met Mr. Steranko August 24th at the Keystone Comic Con. The ultimate gentleman. Spent 40 minutes chatting with me and shared a story of slapping Bob Kane in the face in response to Kane belittling him.
Post 21 IP   flag post
...and the greatest hair in all of comicdom!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Birthday Jim! See you at California Comic Convention in January so you can sign my X-men 50.
(notice how I delusionaly posted this as if Jim Steranko is actually going to read it)

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
...and the greatest hair in all of comicdom!!

He is a super guy to talk to, but that hair makes me think of...

Post 24 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Bender?

Post 25 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort

Looks naked without his signature.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos, that's the plan
Post 27 IP   flag post
Steranko is a magician....or was...and he's the Elvis of comics!
Post 28 IP   flag post
@esaravo ha!!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
@GAC - At Marvel, I believe Jim Steranko started out inking Jack Kirby’s work. Kirby found out that Jim had many interesting previous occupations, including working as a magician and escape artist. Years later when working for DC, Kirby used Steranko as inspiration for a new character he named Mister Miracle. Pretty cool.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601289 68 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?