Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For Sale

What is your best kept secret spec book or idea...Bronze silver, or gold?10374

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I watch a few threads in Facebook about speculation of comics, and it is amusing for me often as the majority of books that are tossed out there are moderns that the younger crowds like to flip.
I thought it might be neat to have something similar here where people can share their ideas of good speculation books ...and why.

I think that the latest issue of Immortal hulk might be a good spec book as well as issue 12, or 13, whichever you consider the first appearance of the "one below"

Books I tend to hoard multiples of are the Howard the Duck kiss issues, Lois lane 111 (bondage cover and crosses over with Darkseid new gods storyline), Jimmy Olsen 135(cameo 2nd darkseid ...too cheap by far with its Adams cover), and Justice League 40, first Grail.
I also have three runs of the seventies supergirl title due to the backup feature with Zatanna in the first 4-5 issues.

In the silver category I think Tales of Suspense is a vastly under-rated title and far too cheap in the run between say 70-99 with issue 79 having the first appearance in modern times of the red skull...in the run you also find many other firsts including Modok in 94, and the first Peggy carter in issue 75

I also hoard early Zatanna appearances, like Atom 19, Justice League of America 51 and Green Lantern 42, Detective 336, and Detective 355 as well as Flash 198 I believe Zatanna will soon either feature in a Justice League Dark Live action movie, or her own character will be given a stand alone movie and as such her early appearances will all be highly sought after. A few are impossible to find in super high grade already.

I also speculate on vintage ufo covers, and most dinosaur covers that are snarky, cheesy and fun.

What about you, what are some of yours you think are solid investments?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
As this is speculation and the only things I have to back up my feelings are a movie possibility and an old cartoon series, I feel batman 121 has potential.

There are only 592 CGC copies hanging out there. In my opinion, that makes it somewhat rare.

If the movie rumor is true and is treated with seriousness similar to the recent joker, I can see it doing very well.

I have multiple copies already from when I thought it had a cool cover, but I can't forsee getting more due to the cost of even low grade copies.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Anything that says 1st issue collector's item is usually a solid move.

I kid. I've found issues of Thor 134 for cheap and bought them. I was buying some of the first appearances Marvel's cosmic characters. I guess the secret is out on the Living Tribunal and Eternity. I agree with the ToS run in the 70-99 category. I try to buy those in F/VF or better condition when I can. I'm too slow on the draw for any real speculation. I mostly go after storylines, so it just happens that there are many first appearances that happen to cross into that territory. So when it does, then I am usually caught unawares if it is a minor first that gets some sort of media hype.

Going back and re-reading this response, it's very rambling.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Bronte Batman 121 for sure. It's almost a name your own price kind of book above 6.5.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
My best kept secret is best kept secret
Post 5 IP   flag post
Well, it's no secret that the best thing about a secret is secretly telling someone your secret, thereby secretly adding another secret to their secret collection of secrets, secretly.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I know this one isn't really a secret...but I think shang chi is going to be bigger than anyone expects. If it taps in to the asian market as well as movies like crazy rich asians it will explode...add that to the international market and Chinese box office and I think it will do black panther level business and create a market of people seeking out his 1st appearance.

My buddy thinks I'm crazy...but I think it will be huge
Post 7 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I secretly have no idea what I’m doing. Don’t tell though.

I have mostly copper age and up knowledge, but I think Action 419 is undervalued. Really cool Adams cover and first Human Target, written by Len Wein.
Worth owning for the cover.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
As this is speculation and the only things I have to back up my feelings are a movie possibility and an old cartoon series, I feel batman 121 has potential.

There are only 592 CGC copies hanging out there. In my opinion, that makes it somewhat rare.

If the movie rumor is true and is treated with seriousness similar to the recent joker, I can see it doing very well.

I have multiple copies already from when I thought it had a cool cover, but I can't forsee getting more due to the cost of even low grade copies.
that's a great choice even without the movie spec, those old bats just keep driving higher on their own, even without a movie.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Anything that says 1st issue collector's item is usually a solid move.

I kid. I've found issues of Thor 134 for cheap and bought them. I was buying some of the first appearances Marvel's cosmic characters. I guess the secret is out on the Living Tribunal and Eternity. I agree with the ToS run in the 70-99 category. I try to buy those in F/VF or better condition when I can. I'm too slow on the draw for any real speculation. I mostly go after storylines, so it just happens that there are many first appearances that happen to cross into that territory. So when it does, then I am usually caught unawares if it is a minor first that gets some sort of media hype.

Going back and re-reading this response, it's very rambling.
Thor 134 is a great book...another in that run that seems to keep gaining steam is thor 150, as it swooshed up in price on the wings of Ragnarok and then never really came down. Oh....strange tales 138, awesome comic book too. I wish I had more of those, but they too now sell for some good money in grade.
Rambling doesn't matter, unlike some members I dont police my thread or tell people what they can talk about..thanks for the response
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
so one could say...you are being secretive about this particuar secret..for some secret reason, you wish to keep a secret.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I know the caramel secret.....and I'm not telling!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
I know this one isn't really a secret...but I think shang chi is going to be bigger than anyone expects. If it taps in to the asian market as well as movies like crazy rich asians it will explode...add that to the international market and Chinese box office and I think it will do black panther level business and create a market of people seeking out his 1st appearance.

I see a lot of people specing that set of books..its never been something I collected but I do think the market is ripe for another martial arts superstar type movie. It could surprise for sure
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I secretly have no idea what I’m doing. Don’t tell though.

I have mostly copper age and up knowledge, but I think Action 419 is undervalued. Really cool Adams cover and first Human Target, written by Len Wein.
Worth owning for the cover.
Great Adams cover....MCS is charging 68 bucks for a fine copy already so you cant be far off the mark there. Is that the same Human Target Rick Springfield started as in the 90's?
Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
One book I think will go up but dont have the funds to aquire another copy is strange tales 110
I get the impression dr strange is going to get a kick in the pants on this movie. They are supposed to bring in scarlet witch and Loki and the ancient one. the villain is nightmare.

Nightmare 1st appearance is the same as dr strange in this book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
One book I think will go up but dont have the funds to aquire another copy is strange tales 110
I get the impression dr strange is going to get a kick in the pants on this movie. They are supposed to bring in scarlet witch and Loki and the ancient one. the villain is nightmare.

I think that movie sounds fascinating....and yes that portends great things for the book as well.....

Another book I recently threaded about that has dropped down into the archives I imagine is Journey into Mystery 103..with its introduction of the Enchantress....if Marvel follows the rumor mill and gives her a role in the next thor movie that book will take off...its already a stunning silver cover, and hard to find in nicer grades but is early enough in the silver age that its a tough find at all
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
You can find Secret Wars II # 5 for $2-5 quite often.

This book is the first appearance of Boom Boom.

She is Domino's best friend in the comics and one of the original members of X-Force.

She has already showed up in X-Men cartoons and could easily end up in a future movie.
Post 17 IP   flag post
that's a great tip, its one I wasn't aware of either. You are right the character does have potential
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:

I think that movie sounds fascinating....and yes that portends great things for the book as well.....

Another book I recently threaded about that has dropped down into the archives I imagine is Journey into Mystery 103..with its introduction of the Enchantress....if Marvel follows the rumor mill and gives her a role in the next thor movie that book will take off...its already a stunning silver cover, and hard to find in nicer grades but is early enough in the silver age that its a tough find at all

Agreed, one more thor villain possibility is Gorr and his necro sword.

That book is rising. Since they named him as possibly being in thor film too.

Two books I was debating on was 1st loki or 1st jane foster. For some reason foster hasn't risen much. (For as long as I have been looking anyways) I settled for loki. I figured with the Disney + channel with a whole show on him there may be a possibility it will rise.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Well, it's no secret that the best thing about a secret is secretly telling someone your secret, thereby secretly adding another secret to their secret collection of secrets, secretly.

That's what pets and imaginary friends are for lol
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson

I'll settle for "good".
But I do have 2 copies of SME15.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
so one could say...you are being secretive about this particuar secret..for some secret reason, you wish to keep a secret.

Oh, that's no secret; If I told anyone, I'd have to call it something else, like "my best shared speculations".
Post 22 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Nova isn't a secret but when he's introduced that book will skyrocket. @Studley_Dudley I'm surprised you didn't mention pence copies, for me, I buy every key with the mark jewelers insert, hoping the scarcity factor kicks in and prices jump.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, one more thor villain possibility is Gorr and his necro sword.

That book is rising. Since they named him as possibly being in thor film too.

Two books I was debating on was 1st loki or 1st jane foster. For some reason foster hasn't risen much. (For as long as I have been looking anyways) I settled for loki. I figured with the Disney + channel with a whole show on him there may be a possibility it will rise.
I admit I am curious how they will handle the Loki series and if he will be played by the same actor from the MCU...I would assume so. The series has the potential to be really good or very bad, depending how well its written and so forth.
I think the first Jane foster will see more heat once we start getting trailers and people realize its a thing and will happen...rather than the fakeout they got with the elementals and Spiderman movie
Post 24 IP   flag post
Every time a rumor turns into nothing, it makes me wonder if the filmmakers, or someone close to them, have craploads of comics they need to unload. Once done, move onto the next rumor.

The worst thing that can happen to speculators is a filmmaker with a ton of drek.
Post 25 IP   flag post
that's very true and one of the reasons I detest price guides that use predictive methods. …..anyone remember Comics Values Monthly? they would pump the new hot books up so hard and fast you had to know they were sitting on a carton of copies. Seen a lot of books get pushed hard by unfounded rumors...or worse, take the thing going on with the new mutants movie...ugh
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

Assuming syfy article is correct, hiddleston will be in it....

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/loki-on-disney-plus-guide-with-details-release-date
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I can't believe no one has said it yet....... X-Force 1
Post 28 IP   flag post
Indeed with the double copy of Deadpools card no less
Post 29 IP   flag post
Anyone here think the 2nd appearance of Deadpool should be X-Force #1, and not #2? He isn't in the Story, but does appear in some kind of Character File, and that IS part of the issue. It isn't an ad, it takes up space where content would be.
I've read discussions on this at CGC, so it isn't my secret secret.
And I've got so many of those stupid things lol Purchased right before I left the hobby for a while.
Not a coincidence.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601426 102 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?