Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

Kinda a heartbreak10330

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

s
so I bought this book a long time ago, I think I remember paying 60ish for it. When I got back into comics in 2017 I submitted my first batch of comics to Cbcs, had Len wein sign it. Came back 7.0 restored, man that was a kick in the gut. Wish Cbcs could do restoration removal. Sent it to cgc, had them remove the restoration (pictured in 3rd photo). Got it back today, hoping for a higher grade but happy it's a blue label but bummed that I lost the witnessed signature, it wasn't recognized as Len wein written on the first page either. Debating to either now send it to Cbcs and get a red verified label, send it back to cgc and have them put on the label that Len wein is written on the first page or just leave it as it is. What would you do
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
same boat with my hulk 1, I have never slabbed it cause once you do, you cannot see the signature anymore. I could have it verified, but any step taken in that regard leaves it sealed and unviewable....so I fret and try to decide sadly.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town
i have a picture of the signature, it's just the recognition of it
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Keep the label, put it in a comic skin. That way it’s slabbed, but you can always open it up and read it or admire the signature.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Pink label, of course. Cbcs might still give it a 7.0, since no deduction for interior writing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 CGC typically don’t state the name on a blue label. If they felt the written of the name reduced the grade significantly they would give you a green qualified label stating “name written on page 1)

If you wish the name written on the label, then CBCS Red (however you may not get the 7.0 anymore. If you don’t wish the name on the label, then leave it
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS Red Label - the best
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i would have left it. granted it had restoration, it was very slight and the sig made up for it. i dont think it would have decreased too much in value and you would have still had the yellow label and a higher grade.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
i would have left it. granted it had restoration, it was very slight and the sig made up for it. i dont think it would have decreased too much in value and you would have still had the yellow label and a higher grade.
Agree
Post 9 IP   flag post
umm the first line you wrote....you have had it awhile..but you remember paying sixty-ish for it....and the rest is all gravy and you lived happily ever after !
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Well, shit happens.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Could go either way butI think @Batman66 did the right thing. Remove the very slight resto, get the red label and have a Universal grade designation (even if the grade is slightly lower). Personally, I'd say that's the more desirable book.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@infinityG unfortunately there is such a sigma about restoration,( no matter how small)it sells for a fraction of what it's worth, the yellow label and higher grade would not have made up for it. Seen too many examples of it. Seems to me if cbcs or cgc when they receive a book and notice removable restoration, they could notify the customer and ask them if they would want it removed for a price. That would give the company more revenue and happier customers. I know it's probably not possible being so busy and behind all the time and cause more of a delay.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
CBCS Red Label - the best
i agree, just going through the expense again,having the same book graded 3 different times, ideally would have been if Cbcs did restoration removal, had it verified at the same submission
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@Batman66 CGC typically don’t state the name on a blue label. If they felt the written of the name reduced the grade significantly they would give you a green qualified label stating “name written on page 1)

If you wish the name written on the label, then CBCS Red (however you may not get the 7.0 anymore. If you don’t wish the name on the label, then leave it
green labels are given when the signature is written on the cover, either way the label usually notes the name written on it
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Well, shit happens.
i think I my wife might be related to you, blunt and too the point, lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 totally know about the restoration stigma, I don't like it myself lol.

I don't think its right or wrong, just a matter of preference.

I felt that you got it witnessed by Wein and were done with it (even w/ the resto) that to go through the trouble to validate it again is such a pain.

It's still cool regardless! m/
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I collect, so I'd crack it and enjoy it knowing without a shadow of a doubt that the sig is legit.
I sure as heck wouldn't sub it a 3rd time. It's clearly a 6.5/7.0 copy signed by Len Wein. WINNAH!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Well, shit happens.
i think I my wife might be related to you, blunt and too the point, lol

It gets me in trouble, but no one has to wonder what I'm thinking.

However, I have been in a similar situation and it sucks.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
What exactly is "Removable restoration"?

How is it done?
Post 20 IP   flag post
They gouge, cut, or scrape it off.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
What exactly is "Removable restoration"?

How is it done?

Scroll about 1/2 way down

https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
wow...a lot of options and all are acceptable. This entire market is opinion so let's keep that in mind...
1) paid 60 dollars..win/win no matter what you do
2) yellow label no longer viable unless you add a sig to it which may
not be a bad idea.
3) are you selling at some point or keeping ..because 3 submissions
is not cost effective no matter how much you paid - but ive done
it on much cheaper books just on principal even at a loss
4) all this traveling and handling could bite you if something
happens and then you'll kick yourself..but you may get a half
grade bump covering the cost of final submission
5) red isn't as accepted yet as blue or yellow in much of the market
so even though legit and may increase value vs. blue on paper...it
may affect resale in real world.
6) which label do you like best and is it important to have sig
stated on label..becasue adding a sig for a yellow and having an
unverified sig possibly also stated on label would be ideal if
they'll do that - would CBCS verify the sig while still giving you
yellow for the second sig? cuz That'd be perfect (but not cost effective )
Post 23 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Really stupid question. If the verified book was in CGC hands during unrestoration and regrading shouldn't that have kept the verified label? It's not like he sent it to some corner shack and then CGC.

My thinking is, when pressing, doesnt the book maintain signature status?
Post 24 IP   flag post
NM

I just noticed it was originally a cbcs book.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
wow...a lot of options and all are acceptable. This entire market is opinion so let's keep that in mind...
1) paid 60 dollars..win/win no matter what you do
2) yellow label no longer viable unless you add a sig to it which may
not be a bad idea.
3) are you selling at some point or keeping ..because 3 submissions
is not cost effective no matter how much you paid - but ive done
it on much cheaper books just on principal even at a loss
4) all this traveling and handling could bite you if something
happens and then you'll kick yourself..but you may get a half
grade bump covering the cost of final submission
5) red isn't as accepted yet as blue or yellow in much of the market
so even though legit and may increase value vs. blue on paper...it
may affect resale in real world.
6) which label do you like best and is it important to have sig
stated on label..becasue adding a sig for a yellow and having an
unverified sig possibly also stated on label would be ideal if
they'll do that - would CBCS verify the sig while still giving you
yellow for the second sig? cuz That'd be perfect (but not cost effective )
Superb analysis..if anything ever happens to me I want you selling my collection Watcher
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Ha! Thanks Darkseid
Post 27 IP   flag post
598061 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?