Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

My Spider-Man Mail Call10288

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I wanted to take advantage of the September CBCS promotion that offered a discount on all comics with Spider-Man in their titles. So I waited to the last day of the promo and sent 10 comics to CBCS on September 30th. I also sent off 5 comics to their Florida office the same day to try out their pressing service (using the discount to make that service a little less expensive). Well I got the 10 back today, so the TAT's without pressing are incredible right now (I don't expect to see the other 5 for a while).

For the 10 comics I selected 5 Expanded tier and 5 Modern tier. Three of the Expanded tier comics had been in my personal collection for 35+ years, and I had purchased 4 of the Modern tier comics when they were released. Most of these aren't anything special, but I sent them in anyway. Now that they are back, I wish I would have sent in another 10 or 20.

So here's what was in the box.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the oldest comic I submitted. I won it in an eBay auction several months ago. It was listed as a 6.5 and that's what I was expecting. I was very pleasantly surprised with the grade (even with the checkmark).

Post 2 IP   flag post
I have owned this one forever, and I was somewhat disappointed in the grade. I thought this one was an 8.0, so I blew it on this one.

Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought this book at a convention in CT over a year ago. The convention was ending, and somehow I still had a few $20 bills in my pocket. I remember talking the seller into taking $20 off on his price so I could get it. I thought it was in the 8.5 to 9.0 range.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Those are all great books, Ed!
Post 5 IP   flag post
The next two are from my personal collection and I had them both in the 8.5 to 9.0 range.

Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo great books!!

having that image issue again.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had been going through a stack of BA ASM's looking for doubles for another forum member when I noticed several that looked like potential 9.8 candidates. No biggies, but I decided to test my grading skills and sent three of them in with this order. How did I do?

Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post

Post 11 IP   flag post
I also flipped through a few short boxes of books that I consider to be potential or borderline candidates for grading and pulled out this Web of Spider-Man minor key (although the first appearance of Eddie Brock is not noted on the CBCS label). Because of the black cover, I thought that this comic had a better chance of getting a 9.6 than a 9.8.

Post 12 IP   flag post
And lastly here's a comic that owes its existence to Spider-Man, but doesn't have Spider-Man in its title. I submitted it anyway. I had picked this up recently in a deal with another forum user and expected an 8.5 (newer books with any spine ticks or defects are graded more harshly in my opinion).

Post 13 IP   flag post
That's All (for now) Folks!
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Ed

I wouldn't call Mary Jane's 1st full appearance "Nothing Special" I think your being a little too modest here with the Spidey Books

Something going on with your photos I can only see the first two books.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 - John, the site had the same problem yesterday. If you click on the little picture, a new window with the scan will open. Hope they fix it soon.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector crystalphoto private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo GREAT books!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo it's like a parade of sexy when you post books, Ed! Great books!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I also flipped through a few short boxes of books that I consider to be potential or borderline candidates for grading and pulled out this Web of Spider-Man minor key (although the first appearance of Eddie Brock is not noted on the CBCS label). Because of the black cover, I thought that this comic had a better chance of getting a 9.6 than a 9.8.

Great books my friend! I was surprised this one got a 9.8. I can see a couple spine ticks in the black. I think you're 9.6 estimate is more accurate than the grade given. Either way, congrats!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thanks to everyone who posted comments!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
And lastly here's a comic that owes its existence to Spider-Man, but doesn't have Spider-Man in its title. I submitted it anyway. I had picked this up recently in a deal with another forum user and expected an 8.5 (newer books with any spine ticks or defects are graded more harshly in my opinion).

I agree this should have gotten a lower score due to the prominent spine ticks, but since it didn't you scored! Great book to get graded
Post 21 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Nice comics...I love classic Spider-Man!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice! I have something like half a dozen of those Web 18 issues - keep waiting for them to get hot!
Post 23 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo awesome books!!!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I think the really amazing part in all this is that you got your books/grades back ->TWO WEEKS<- after submission. That's an awesome TAT.

I submitted #'s 8,11,12,13,15,16,17,18,20,23,25,28x3,30,37,39,40,41,50,59,300,301x3,316x4,344x2,361x4,Ann16x2,PPtheSS 1, and PPtheSS 64

Crossing my fingers!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
Whoa, I'm going to assume these are all on the case?

Post 26 IP   flag post
600892 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?