CBCS Comics
The CBCS forum community is now closed to new posts and replies. The forum will remain available in read-only mode for the time being. Thank you to all who contributed over the years.
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

My Spider-Man Mail Call10288

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I wanted to take advantage of the September CBCS promotion that offered a discount on all comics with Spider-Man in their titles. So I waited to the last day of the promo and sent 10 comics to CBCS on September 30th. I also sent off 5 comics to their Florida office the same day to try out their pressing service (using the discount to make that service a little less expensive). Well I got the 10 back today, so the TAT's without pressing are incredible right now (I don't expect to see the other 5 for a while).

For the 10 comics I selected 5 Expanded tier and 5 Modern tier. Three of the Expanded tier comics had been in my personal collection for 35+ years, and I had purchased 4 of the Modern tier comics when they were released. Most of these aren't anything special, but I sent them in anyway. Now that they are back, I wish I would have sent in another 10 or 20.

So here's what was in the box.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the oldest comic I submitted. I won it in an eBay auction several months ago. It was listed as a 6.5 and that's what I was expecting. I was very pleasantly surprised with the grade (even with the checkmark).


Post 2 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have owned this one forever, and I was somewhat disappointed in the grade. I thought this one was an 8.0, so I blew it on this one.


Post 3 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I bought this book at a convention in CT over a year ago. The convention was ending, and somehow I still had a few $20 bills in my pocket. I remember talking the seller into taking $20 off on his price so I could get it. I thought it was in the 8.5 to 9.0 range.


Post 4 • IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Those are all great books, Ed!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
The next two are from my personal collection and I had them both in the 8.5 to 9.0 range.


Post 6 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 • IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo great books!!

having that image issue again.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I had been going through a stack of BA ASM's looking for doubles for another forum member when I noticed several that looked like potential 9.8 candidates. No biggies, but I decided to test my grading skills and sent three of them in with this order. How did I do?


Post 9 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 10 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I also flipped through a few short boxes of books that I consider to be potential or borderline candidates for grading and pulled out this Web of Spider-Man minor key (although the first appearance of Eddie Brock is not noted on the CBCS label). Because of the black cover, I thought that this comic had a better chance of getting a 9.6 than a 9.8.


Post 12 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
And lastly here's a comic that owes its existence to Spider-Man, but doesn't have Spider-Man in its title. I submitted it anyway. I had picked this up recently in a deal with another forum user and expected an 8.5 (newer books with any spine ticks or defects are graded more harshly in my opinion).


Post 13 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
That's All (for now) Folks!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Ed

I wouldn't call Mary Jane's 1st full appearance "Nothing Special" I think your being a little too modest here with the Spidey Books

Something going on with your photos I can only see the first two books.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 - John, the site had the same problem yesterday. If you click on the little picture, a new window with the scan will open. Hope they fix it soon.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Collector crystalphoto private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo GREAT books!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo it's like a parade of sexy when you post books, Ed! Great books!
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I also flipped through a few short boxes of books that I consider to be potential or borderline candidates for grading and pulled out this Web of Spider-Man minor key (although the first appearance of Eddie Brock is not noted on the CBCS label). Because of the black cover, I thought that this comic had a better chance of getting a 9.6 than a 9.8.



Great books my friend! I was surprised this one got a 9.8. I can see a couple spine ticks in the black. I think you're 9.6 estimate is more accurate than the grade given. Either way, congrats!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks to everyone who posted comments!
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
And lastly here's a comic that owes its existence to Spider-Man, but doesn't have Spider-Man in its title. I submitted it anyway. I had picked this up recently in a deal with another forum user and expected an 8.5 (newer books with any spine ticks or defects are graded more harshly in my opinion).


I agree this should have gotten a lower score due to the prominent spine ticks, but since it didn't you scored! Great book to get graded
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Nice comics...I love classic Spider-Man!
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice! I have something like half a dozen of those Web 18 issues - keep waiting for them to get hot!
Post 23 • IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo awesome books!!!!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I think the really amazing part in all this is that you got your books/grades back ->TWO WEEKS<- after submission. That's an awesome TAT.

I submitted #'s 8,11,12,13,15,16,17,18,20,23,25,28x3,30,37,39,40,41,50,59,300,301x3,316x4,344x2,361x4,Ann16x2,PPtheSS 1, and PPtheSS 64

Crossing my fingers!
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
Whoa, I'm going to assume these are all on the case?


Post 26 • IP   flag post
657131 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?