Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Alfred, is he dead? Is Batman 77 a key issue?10277

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
So I was reading through October previews for upcoming Batman issues and it makes mention of Alfred’s death. So maybe King really killed him off?
Should I handle my Batman 77 with powder free nitrile gloves from now on?
Are there any “death” issues that have held considerable value or status? Superman came back. Many lesser characters have “died” and came back. Would it be morbid to start collecting death issues? Am I bored at work right now? Yes.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Deaths are never key issues
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

For the most part, I agree with a few exceptions. X-Men 137 and ASM 121 come to mind. Superman's death can burn in hell though. What a waste of paper that was.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Doubtful
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

For the most part, I agree with a few exceptions. X-Men 137 and ASM 121 come to mind. Superman's death can burn in hell though. What a waste of paper that was.

As a Wolverine fan, I'd have to add Wolverine #57 in there also.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector nik private msg quote post Address this user
Would make no sense, since Alfred is still around for Dark Knight Returns series
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I always thought Bullseye killed Alfred - just look at the cover of DD #131!

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
He will be back. Someone will make an elaborate 12 issue series to bring back all dead batman characters.

I am surprised Marvel has not tried to bring back Uncle Ben.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
A death issue could be valuable in the short term if it leads to a resurrection by a new creative team, if another character takes their place, etc.

Not a true death issue, but Batman the Killing Joke leads to the creation of Oracle. Green Arrow was killed off (disappeared) and later brought back by Kevin Smith (was big at the time, don't know how relevant it is now.)

I'd say pick up the Alfred issue if you like the character and don't spend big bucks on it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
A key issue, sure but that doesn’t necessarily mean it will be especially valuable.

That said, I think death issues get a bad reputation because they don’t stick but I think that ignores the fact the issue can still be touching, exciting, tragic, pyrrhic, well-written/illustrated, and worth a read, even if you know they will be back.

I know one of my favorite characters, the Punisher, has died several times but even so, three of those deaths are among my favorite issues with the character, despite not being especially valuable.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Except maybe Gwen's. Maybe.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
He will be back. Someone will make an elaborate 12 issue series to bring back all dead batman characters.

I am surprised Marvel has not tried to bring back Uncle Ben.

And free Peter of his guilt, so he becomes a villain.

Give them time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know, but the last couple issues I read after this "death" have nothing but Bruce Wayne looking like Tom Selleck in Magnum doing push ups and selina Kyle being pretty. I can not accurately put into words how much I now hate the DC bat books. I'm only up to 78 or 79 so I don't know if its changed but I think I'm going to go live on IG and light them all on fire
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
I don't know, but the last couple issues I read after this "death" have nothing but Bruce Wayne looking like Tom Selleck in Magnum doing push ups and selina Kyle being pretty. I can not accurately put into words how much I now hate the DC bat books. I'm only up to 78 or 79 so I don't know if its changed but I think I'm going to go live on IG and light them all on fire

At the risk of being the "old man who shakes fist at cloud" I have to agree. The building of the Bat Family reminds me too much of the too many Hulks or the squillion Spider-Men around now.

They have been interesting stories, but sure threw monkey wrenches into continuity, it seems.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

Post 15 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been strongly considering dropping Batman, it’s been difficult to follow and the City of Bane just keeps going on with very little explanation.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
So ... I've got a copy of Batman #77 CGC 9.9 MINT. I'm going to either sell it or auction it on MyComicShop. Any advice? There are 81 people who put this issue on their "want list," and MCS has sold six raw copies in October so far. (All 9.4; all $20 each. In September they sold four copies at $15 each, but there may have been more ... they only list the last 10 sales.)

Since October is so slow I am considering the auction that ends on November 4th or November 11th. I think the King run ends with the December issue. My personal opinion is that they did NOT kill Alfred, and we will find out in December. The current theories are: it was Clayface, faking it; or, it was Psycho-Pirate, faking it.

Anyway, I assume it's better to sell them all before that reveal happens. But I reckon I should keep one (9.8) copy just in case? Not sure yet. Thoughts? (I have the one 9.9, three 9.8's, and two 9.8's of the variant cover by Crain.)
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
So ... I've got a copy of Batman #77 CGC 9.9 MINT. I'm going to either sell it or auction it on MyComicShop. Any advice? There are 81 people who put this issue on their "want list," and MCS has sold six raw copies in October so far. (All 9.4; all $20 each. In September they sold four copies at $15 each, but there may have been more ... they only list the last 10 sales.)

Since October is so slow I am considering the auction that ends on November 4th or November 11th. I think the King run ends with the December issue. My personal opinion is that they did NOT kill Alfred, and we will find out in December. The current theories are: it was Clayface, faking it; or, it was Psycho-Pirate, faking it.

Anyway, I assume it's better to sell them all before that reveal happens. But I reckon I should keep one (9.8) copy just in case? Not sure yet. Thoughts? (I have the one 9.9, three 9.8's, and two 9.8's of the variant cover by Crain.)

Sell everything now, not going to hold its value. When alfred is back it's not a key anymore
Post 18 IP   flag post
I would auction the 9.9 immediately. Deaths are very rarely permanent in comics
Post 19 IP   flag post
601532 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?