Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Neal Adams is a sign of the Apocalypse10264

Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I think these are my only comics with his sig. Otherwise it's art, TPBs, and a sketch/autograph book.

Post 101 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user

Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
When he was at NYCC this last time saw he was also charging $50 for outside items for Autograph and $30
(i think) for a Selfie at his booth.
On the other hand, he signs for free if you buy anything from his booth which I thought was nice.

I did witness some kid trying to "negotiate" with lady in his booth for a batman drawing with bats and moon in background, Neil wanted like $600. The poor kid was constantly saying it's nice like really nice over and over again, Then said you think he would take $100? She flat out told him no and he settled on s smaller sketch and Neal signed it..

Next year, might consider getting a sketch or something by him... Some of you are making him out to be really mean? He seems very friendly from when I saw him in the distance sitting down when talking to people.
Post 103 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I have two stories.

about 3 years ago I saw him at his boot at Wonder-Con and there a small child approached him (8-9) years old and asked him if he would autograph something (maybe a comic couldn't quite see)for him. Neil said "sure kid for 40 (I think) dollars" then the kid said something I couldn't make out (but i'm assuming he said he didn't have any money) but Neil said "sorry kid I'm sure your dad (who was just at the edge of the edge of the booth) can give you the money". the kid then joined his father, they spoke for a second, then walked away.

Here's my take, Neil could've easily scribbled his name on whatever the kid was handing him for free and gained two fans (dad included) for life and lots of good will from family and friends of these two folks. But Neil held hast and was a jerk to a little kid.

another possibility is that the dad sent him to get something signed for him (the dad) thinking that Neil would roll over and sign for free for a kid. who can say "no" to a kid? apparently Neil can.

although in me second scenario the blame would fall clearly on the dad, the effect something like this on a child is kinda traumatic. Some of you will not agree with this but that just means you were never children. The dad should never have put him in this situation but since it did happen, Neil should have done something for the kid, given him a candy scribbles a couple of initials (so the dad wouldn't win) just to give the kid a good feeling about the encounter.

I have a second story that I will save for later, always leaving them wanting more. (and I need to take care of other stuff).
Post 104 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
When he was at NYCC this last time saw he was also charging $50 for outside items for Autograph and $30
On the other hand, he signs for free if you buy anything from his booth which I thought was nice.

I did witness some kid trying to "negotiate" with lady in his booth for a batman drawing with bats and moon in background, Neil wanted like $600. The poor kid was constantly saying it's nice like really nice over and over again, Then said you think he would take $100? She flat out told him no and he settled on s smaller sketch and Neal signed it..

Next year, might consider getting a sketch or something by him... Some of you are making him out to be really mean? He seems very friendly from when I saw him in the distance sitting down when talking to people.

I don't think he's "mean". People just need to schmooze up to him, and he'll be happy to let them.
Post 105 IP   flag post

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:

I don't think he's "mean". People just need to schmooze up to him, and he'll be happy to let them.

I also don't know if he was being "mean" to the kid, I just think that he was applying his hard and fast rule of charging for autographs dis-proportionally in my story above. He might want to re-think his approach to children.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Oh, he was an actual child? I call 30 year olds "kids", so I was thinking along those lines.

Maybe Neal thought the kid's dad sent him to his table lol.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Oh, he was an actual child? I call 30 year olds "kids", so I was thinking along those lines.

That happens all the time with sports autograph. Professional autograph sellers use kids at spring training to get autographs as players are more willing to sign kid's stuff than the adults pushing the kids out of the way.

I think the kids dad did send him to the table. Why? There aren't that many kids alive who know who or what Neal did in comics, and why he's important.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Good point.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

That happens all the time with sports autograph. Professional autograph sellers use kids at spring training to get autographs as players are more willing to sign kid's stuff than the adults pushing the kids out of the way.

I think the kids dad did send him to the table. Why? There aren't that many kids alive who know who or what Neal did in comics, and why he's important.

I am of the same mind but it was the child who was rejected and has the hurt feelings. that's the part that sucks.
Post 110 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Schmooze?
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Schmooze?

Kinda like to BS talk with someone
Post 112 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Quote:

I am of the same mind but it was the child who was rejected and has the hurt feelings. that's the part that sucks.

Assuming he approached Neal Adams on his own without dad hiding around the corner saying, "try to get this for me for $100".

If he, himself, wanted it for himself with his own money, then it sucks if his feelings were hurt, but it's also a life lesson in that asking someone to drop a price from $600 to $100 doesn't work.

Maybe this kid won't grow up with this sense of entitlement so many have. ESPECIALLY in this hobby.
Post 113 IP   flag post
And with social media today, I wouldn't doubt if Neal realizes word could spread VERY quickly that he sold a $600 sketch to a kid at a convention for $100.
He'd see a dramatic increase of kids at his table.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Quote:
And with social media today, I wouldn't doubt if Neal realizes word could spread VERY quickly that he sold a $600 sketch to a kid at a convention for $100.

When I referenced kid meaning in 20s maybe early 30s.
Post 115 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Schmooze?

Yeah I know what he meant. Just poking fun at the terminology.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

So, having worked at the Colonial Golf Tournament around all the famous golfers, I've seen this in practice. Kids grabbing autographs for their dads because you don't want to look like an ogre to a kid.

I've also seen kids with 40-50 autographs on a shirt.

In an ideal world it would be great if Neal could sense a true fan, and sign an autograph for free or a discount, and charge the profiteers triple, but that's not the world we live in.

My wife saw Josh Hamilton at a car wash one time. She was hesitant, but finally asked for a picture with him, but added the caveat, you don't have to, and I don't mean to bother you, etc..

He was great, and took a picture with her. Then other people saw this and asked, too.
One woman who walked out at the same time as my wife said, "That was cool. Who was that?"

The price of fame, I suppose...
Post 117 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

So he was an adult and already has a sense of entitlement lol Sounds like he needed that life lesson earlier.
An adult asking for that high of a discount LOL. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess.
Post 118 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
another possibility is that the dad sent him to get something signed for him (the dad) thinking that Neil would roll over and sign for free for a kid. who can say "no" to a kid? apparently Neil can.

although in me second scenario the blame would fall clearly on the dad, the effect something like this on a child is kinda traumatic. Some of you will not agree with this but that just means you were never children.

I bet Neal could have asked the kid two questions about the book he was holding and it would have revealed him as a shill for his father and probably embarassed him a bit. It's a terrible position to put an artist in and the blame falls squarely on the father. As a parent we want to teach our kids to be fearless without crossing the line into reckless, inconsiderate or dis-inginuous. I would say the father crossed that line by asking his kid to shill for him (assuming my take on the situation is correct).
Post 119 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Schmooze?

Yeah I know what he meant. Just poking fun at the terminology.

Oh okay, when I first heard it years ago was with a former boss and he was talking to a guy and said sorry gotta schmooze sometimes. Didn't know and had to google, had a feeling meant talk.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I forgot I had this one. I got this the first time I met him. My buddy asked him how much he would charge for a cover recreation of Batman #251. Neal's response "the last time I did that I charged $40k" lol.

Post 121 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's a famous story about Picasso with something similar. Late in his life his signatures were literally worth thousands of dollars. Even fifty years ago ... they were super rare and valuable. So, he's at the beach one day, relaxing in the south of France, and this kid comes up with a pen and paper, asks for a signature. Picasso knows, there is no way this kid has any idea who he is. So he takes the marker, discards the paper, turns the kid around, and signs with a flourish across the kid's back.

So now the parents have a signature worth thousands, that they'll have to eventually wash away.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So he was an adult and already has a sense of entitlement lol Sounds like he needed that life lesson earlier.
An adult asking for that high of a discount LOL. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess.

I agree, me I can't even bring myself to negotiate with a Artist. I pay what they want or find something I can afford.
Post 123 IP   flag post
I bought 3 pages, a blank sketch cover wraparound, and a commission sketch from Tim Vigil at SDCC. The commission was Thursday, and on Saturday I returned for the others. He remembered me and shaved $100 off to show his gratitude for the decent sale and repeat business.

Stuff like that is the best I can hope for, but not in the least bit expected, and I think the impression I made, if any, is better than if I asked for a discount. In fact, when I told him I live just a few hours away from him, and travel there often to visit our son and his family, he said to contact him and maybe get some dinner. Now, the depth of that offer is unknown, but so what? It was cool just to get it!
Post 124 IP   flag post
601333 124 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?