Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Neal Adams is a sign of the Apocalypse10264

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Let's see if we can get back on topic. Here's my Neal Adams story. I am 59 years old and started "reading" comics before I could read. By the time I was 8 or 9 years old, my father was driving me around to various newsstands once or twice a week to buy comics. Every once in a while he'd take me to a smelly used book store and I'd pick up a stack of back issues. Once I was a teenager, I started going to comic shows every chance I'd get and before long I had a subscription service at my LCS. Then in my late 20's I lost interest and by 1990/1991 pretty much forgot about comics. Life, wife, work, kids, etc. were the main focus.

Skip ahead to almost 5 years ago. My son talks me into going to the RI Comic Con. I walk into the main convention center and it's glorious - like I'd been sent back in time. And who's that I see sitting in the corner surrounded by giant posters and prints of his artwork? Neal freaking Adams! As a comic geek in the late 1960's and early 1970's, to me Neal Adams ruled. Kirby was the King, and Stan was the Man, but boy did I idolize Neal Adams' artwork. All those amazing covers - Batman, Brave and the Bold, Strange Adventures/Deadman, House of Mystery, X-Men, Avengers, hell he even made Tomahawk look good! I felt like I was 10 years old again. Of course, I hadn't prepared to meet him - for some reason I didn't even think to see what artists would be there. Heck, I hadn't even bought a comic in like decades. So I go up to a vendor, flip through some comics, and end up purchasing a Conan #37 for like $20. I knew I had that issue at home, along with several hundred other books with Adams covers and interior art, but I HAD to meet this guy and get his autograph. So I waited in line and paid the $30 fee (at the time) to get a chance to do it. Mr. Adams was very pleasant, I told him how much I used to look forward to seeing his work when I was kid, and shook his hand. To be honest, that made my day and probably reset all my collecting buttons and got me back into collecting.

Note - Two years later I wanted to relive that experience and brought six or seven comics from my personal collection with me to another convention that Mr. Adams was attending. My intention was to get them signed and submit them to CBCS for Yellow Labels. When I found out that he was now charging $50 per signature I changed my mind and didn't have him sign any of them. Last year, however, I did get my GL #76 and Batman #232 signed by both Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil at a Con in Connecticut (couldn't miss getting both those guys on the same comic - epic). I bought both of those issues new off the spinner rack when they came out; in fact, the GL #76 came out just a month or two before by 10th birthday. I had CBCS witness both signatures for Yellow Labels (somehow they misspelled O'Neil on the #76).

I might get another book or two signed by Mr. Adams in the future (Batman #227 perhaps?). By the way, relax John and others who don't want their comics defaced, since these are primarily books I purchased as a kid, they are mid-grade copies; I would not have a high grade SA key signed. I have also gotten signatures from some other artists, like Joe Sinnott and Jim Steranko. I will seek out the older ones that I enjoyed, not because I want to profit from their signatures when they pass, but to say thank you and let them know that their work was and is appreciated by a whole generation of comic book enthusiasts.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome story Ed....I wish I would have met Kirby in person , and I never met Stan either. Adams doesn't do much for me, unless its his covers in the fourth world trilogy like Jimmy olsen, in particular. Would be what I chose if I bought his signature on something, that or Justice League America 94...……..
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Mr. Adams was very pleasant, I told him how much I used to look forward to seeing his work when I was kid, and shook his hand. To be honest, that made my day and probably reset all my collecting buttons and got me back into collecting.

Just want to agree with Ed on him being pleasant. A few years ago at the Baltimore Comic Con, CBCS had a dinner Saturday night after the convention was finished for the day, and Neal Adams and his wife were the guests. It was a small affair, probably only about 25 of us total, including several CBCS employees including Steve Borock himself. I was lucky to sit at Mr. Adams table and talk with him before, during and after dinner. He was extremely pleasant and I will always treasure that opportunity. I don't own any Neal Adams signed comics and probably won't as I don't want to pay the $50 fee, but I don't begrudge him at all for charging what he thinks he can get and what he thinks is fair.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Thankfully I have no interest in the signature fiasco part of the hobby.

I don't like signatures on the covers, but a signature on the first page after the cover I do like.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
Quote:

I don't like signatures on the covers, but a signature on the first page after the cover I do like.
I am usually a purist like that myself...always first page . Recently ive gotten to where I will buy two copies of a newer book and let them do the cover, or a low grade signer copy to use just for that, but high grade silver, or golden books nope...right with you
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
Quote:

I am usually a purist like that myself...always first page . Recently ive gotten to where I will buy two copies of a newer book and let them do the cover, or a low grade signer copy to use just for that, but high grade silver, or golden books nope...right with you

In my experience during the 80's artists were very reluctant to sign covers, this also applied to sci-fi authors. I did managed to get Gil Kane to sign the cover to Green Lantern 8 however, the caveat being that he too thought it was a singular GL cover.
Post 81 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
If you read my earlier post, here's a scan of the Conan #37 that I bought at the Con to have Mr. Adams sign.

Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
What I read this morning, I thought it was going to get locked. I am glad it did not. I have several prints and a sketch done by Neal and I am glad I did. I am happy with what I had him sign and sketch and I might have him sign something else one or two more times. I always appreciated his art and he was kind to me the 3 times I had him sign things.
I was also really glad to have Mike Grell sign some books,prints and bought a couple sketches from his Sable work.His sigs for the comics were only $5 so I thought that was pretty fair. They are 2 of my favorite artists from the Bronze Age. Tap blue square for photos.

Post 83 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
I was at a convention and walked by Neal's table. For a brief moment we made eye contact. Maybe 2 or 3 seconds we looked at each other.

He charged me $5.
Post 84 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I met Neal Adams a few times at my LCS. We would sit and chat... very nice individual. Never had him sign anything though. LOL
Post 85 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
I met Neal Adams a few times at my LCS. We would sit and chat... very nice individual. Never had him sign anything though. LOL

I'm sure he appreciated the audience.
When my younger brother and I met him a few years ago, he was telling various stories, and at one point my brother turned to his wife and just started talking about something else, and Neal just happened to be addressing him at that moment, and I could hear the pause in his voice.
My eyes went wide and shifted from my idiot brother to Neal, and I tilted my bead in a way to let him know I was still listening. I might have even added an "I'm not with him" look LOL.
Post 86 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Neal likes two things; to talk about himself and navy blue button up shirts, lol.
Post 87 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
........... and how the universe was formed.
Post 88 IP   flag post
@DrWatson @Nuffsaid111 Those are both funny. This is starting to sound like a Chuck Norris post.
Neal Adams is so good... lol.
Kidding aside, I do feel he is a personable character.
Post 89 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips A character he definitely is!
Post 90 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I always kind of figured Adams was a Pretentious Knob after I read his "ground-breaking" social commentary in his legendary run on Green Lantern/Green Arrow. It was so simplistic and un-nuanced. The poor people were good, the landlords were bad. The Law-and-order minded Green Lantern always needed to be re-educated by the Social Justice minded Green Arrow. Maybe that is why I was stunned that Neal, of all people, becoming an Uber-Capitalist and charging $50 for an autograph was incongruous with what I knew of him.

I guess subconsciously I was kind of expecting that he would look you over and charge according to your means and give according to your needs. Who knows, maybe he did.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
What I read this morning, I thought it was going to get locked. I am glad it did not. I have several prints and a sketch done by Neal and I am glad I did. I am happy with what I had him sign and sketch and I might have him sign something else one or two more times. I always appreciated his art and he was kind to me the 3 times I had him sign things.
I was also really glad to have Mike Grell sign some books,prints and bought a couple sketches from his Sable work.His sigs for the comics were only $5 so I thought that was pretty fair. They are 2 of my favorite artists from the Bronze Age. Tap blue square for photos.

Those sketches are fantastic!
Post 92 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop
I was at a convention and walked by Neal's table. For a brief moment we made eye contact. Maybe 2 or 3 seconds we looked at each other.

He charged me $5.

Hahahaha ... we need a laugh emoji added to the checkmark buttons.
Post 93 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid Thanks. I have a couple more that I could not find photos of. The one in color he remembers doing for a charity event back in the 70's.
Post 94 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That joker sketch is amazing
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop

He charged me $5.

I actually did LOL...
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips

That first one with The Spectre is amazing!
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Here are my Neal Adams collectibles.

Neal did Marvel Girl on the jam. He is definitely pricey. I don't regret getting any of it but I probably won't get any more. He's always been nice to me when I've talked to him. He tells plenty of stories and keeps you entertained while at his table.
Post 98 IP   flag post
I just bought a raw copy of that Strange Adventures #212, hoping it will grade high. (I think it will, but haven't sent it in yet. It's in the stack.) Always loved that cover. Also, that Deadman sketch is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

Neal did Marvel Girl on the jam. He is definitely pricey. I don't regret getting any of it but I probably won't get any more. He's always been nice to me when I've talked to him. He tells plenty of stories and keeps you entertained while at his table.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
I just bought a raw copy of that Strange Adventures #212, hoping it will grade high. (I think it will, but haven't sent it in yet. It's in the stack.) Always loved that cover. Also, that Deadman sketch is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

Good luck with your book! I got my copy from @esaravo. I've bought a lot of books from that man (and traded/sold some of the same books back to him too!).
Post 100 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I think these are my only comics with his sig. Otherwise it's art, TPBs, and a sketch/autograph book.

Post 101 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user

Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
When he was at NYCC this last time saw he was also charging $50 for outside items for Autograph and $30
(i think) for a Selfie at his booth.
On the other hand, he signs for free if you buy anything from his booth which I thought was nice.

I did witness some kid trying to "negotiate" with lady in his booth for a batman drawing with bats and moon in background, Neil wanted like $600. The poor kid was constantly saying it's nice like really nice over and over again, Then said you think he would take $100? She flat out told him no and he settled on s smaller sketch and Neal signed it..

Next year, might consider getting a sketch or something by him... Some of you are making him out to be really mean? He seems very friendly from when I saw him in the distance sitting down when talking to people.
Post 103 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I have two stories.

about 3 years ago I saw him at his boot at Wonder-Con and there a small child approached him (8-9) years old and asked him if he would autograph something (maybe a comic couldn't quite see)for him. Neil said "sure kid for 40 (I think) dollars" then the kid said something I couldn't make out (but i'm assuming he said he didn't have any money) but Neil said "sorry kid I'm sure your dad (who was just at the edge of the edge of the booth) can give you the money". the kid then joined his father, they spoke for a second, then walked away.

Here's my take, Neil could've easily scribbled his name on whatever the kid was handing him for free and gained two fans (dad included) for life and lots of good will from family and friends of these two folks. But Neil held hast and was a jerk to a little kid.

another possibility is that the dad sent him to get something signed for him (the dad) thinking that Neil would roll over and sign for free for a kid. who can say "no" to a kid? apparently Neil can.

although in me second scenario the blame would fall clearly on the dad, the effect something like this on a child is kinda traumatic. Some of you will not agree with this but that just means you were never children. The dad should never have put him in this situation but since it did happen, Neil should have done something for the kid, given him a candy scribbles a couple of initials (so the dad wouldn't win) just to give the kid a good feeling about the encounter.

I have a second story that I will save for later, always leaving them wanting more. (and I need to take care of other stuff).
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
When he was at NYCC this last time saw he was also charging $50 for outside items for Autograph and $30
(i think) for a Selfie at his booth.
On the other hand, he signs for free if you buy anything from his booth which I thought was nice.

I did witness some kid trying to "negotiate" with lady in his booth for a batman drawing with bats and moon in background, Neil wanted like $600. The poor kid was constantly saying it's nice like really nice over and over again, Then said you think he would take $100? She flat out told him no and he settled on s smaller sketch and Neal signed it..

Next year, might consider getting a sketch or something by him... Some of you are making him out to be really mean? He seems very friendly from when I saw him in the distance sitting down when talking to people.

I don't think he's "mean". People just need to schmooze up to him, and he'll be happy to let them.
Post 105 IP   flag post
601440 124 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?