Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Neal Adams is a sign of the Apocalypse10264

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know what Jim Starlin and Romita jr charges for signatures at La comic con
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@EbaySeller It sounds to me like you're pissed that Neal Adams is charging $50 for his signature and you don't want to pay that for it. Well, welcome to the world. Sometimes shit costs money. (shrug)

I actually went over to his booth expecting to pay $20 for an auto-graph. In fact I had sent the dealer partial payment by Paypal to keep the last $20 in my wallet. It was when I was faced with a $50 signature charge that It slapped me in the face that we had crossed the Rubicon in the Artist/Fan Relationship. At first I was irritated with Neal Adams, but as I thought it through I realized that the artists are not the ones who took us across the Rubicon, it was we the "fans".

So when I say that Neal Adams is a sign of the Apocalypse, I don't mean to imply that he's the cause.
Post 27 IP   flag post
There is an interesting second-half to my experience that I left out. Before leaving the Neal Adams booth I was approached by the manager of the local store that he owns. He suggest I may want to bring any old Neal Adams books that I own to the store where they would offer to buy them from me. He said they constantly need to replenish their Neal Adams inventory. I assume that anything they bought from me would then be signed and sold as a Neal Adams signed comic. After thinking about it over night I put the pieces together, the $50 fee is important to setting the market value, it's what allows him to create value in his store by signing books. If he charged only $5 or $10 it would devalue his signature and eliminate the opportunity to create value in the store by adding his signature to inventory that they have purchased. It all kind of makes sense, by adding his signature today to a 20 cent comic book from 45 years ago Neal Adams can finally receive proper compensation for work that he was probably extremely under-paid for at the time he created the book.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
The signatures and art I got from him SDCC this year will probably be the last items I get from him. I have plenty comics signed, and the cost of being able to say I own a Neal Adams Batman sketch is hard to justify. If I'm getting a multi-creator TPB signed, I might go to him, but no more comics or art.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Mike Royer charges $5 per sig, with 100% going to Cancer Research. A couple years ago Neal Adams told him, "Mike, you should charge $30 (that's Neal keeping things in perspective) for your signature, and keep all of it!"

I tell him all the time he needs to up that to at least $10 and keep something, but he loves his fans, and is thankful he and his wife are survivors.

Something I noticed that probably means little to most, but when you buy a Mike Royer signature it looks like a comic guys signature...it just has some mood to it. Likewise Steranko, I have no idea what Steranko charges but one thing you notice about his signed books...he sits and studies the best spot and color and makes his signature look like part of a piece of art. I saw some books Neal Adams signed and said...wow, I thought they would look a little more...stylish or more artistic. Sort of like paying good money for an Adam Hughes set of initials I guess.....
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Mike Royer charges $5 per sig, with 100% going to Cancer Research. A couple years ago Neal Adams told him, "Mike, you should charge $30 (that's Neal keeping things in perspective) for your signature, and keep all of it!"

I tell him all the time he needs to up that to at least $10 and keep something, but he loves his fans, and is thankful he and his wife are survivors.

Something I noticed that probably means little to most, but when you buy a Mike Royer signature it looks like a comic guys signature...it just has some mood to it. Likewise Steranko, I have no idea what Steranko charges but one thing you notice about his signed books...he sits and studies the best spot and color and makes his signature look like part of a piece of art. I saw some books Neal Adams signed and said...wow, I thought they would look a little more...stylish or more artistic. Sort of like paying good money for an Adam Hughes set of initials I guess.....

Steranko (this was last year) charged $20 per sig. But with that you get all you mentioned and a friendly chat. Jim signed a print for me that I was gifting to a distant friend, I mentioned this to him and he found a place to sign and incorporated a little message in and around the signature to my friend. The man is a true comics guy and a treasure.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Steranko (this was last year) charged $20 per sig. But with that you get all you mentioned and a friendly chat.

$20 is very reasonable and I look forward to Meeting Jim Steranko in January and gladly giving him $100 to artistically sign 5 iconic covers that have caught my attention since I was a child. It will be the first time I've asked and artist or writer to sign a book on the outside rather than the inside.

I have 3 of the 5 covers picked out so far:
X-men 50
Strange Tales 167
Nick Fury 3

Any silver age recommendations for the other 2 covers?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
There is an interesting second-half to my experience that I left out. Before leaving the Neal Adams booth I was approached by the manager of the local store that he owns. He suggest I may want to bring any old Neal Adams books that I own to the store where they would offer to buy them from me. He said they constantly need to replenish their Neal Adams inventory. I assume that anything they bought from me would then be signed and sold as a Neal Adams signed comic. After thinking about it over night I put the pieces together, the $50 fee is important to setting the market value, it's what allows him to create value in his store by signing books. If he charged only $5 or $10 it would devalue his signature and eliminate the opportunity to create value in the store by adding his signature to inventory that they have purchased. It all kind of makes sense, by adding his signature today to a 20 cent comic book from 45 years ago Neal Adams can finally receive proper compensation for work that he was probably extremely under-paid for at the time he created the book.

Are you talking about his online store? His son Jason was running that.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Over signing is what can devalue a signature. Look at Stan Lee.... the guy signed like a trillon items. His signature is anything but rare. In fact, its so common that it really isn't all that special really.

At the rate these signings are defacing books it won't be long until the truly rarest thing is a pure unsigned book.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

No, a store in Burbank called Crusty Bunkers. I assume the guy I met would have been to young to be his son, but who knows?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
That's a really nice sketch. He didn't phone that one in.

Quote:
The signatures and art I got from him SDCC this year will probably be the last items I get from him. I have plenty comics signed, and the cost of being able to say I own a Neal Adams Batman sketch is hard to justify. If I'm getting a multi-creator TPB signed, I might go to him, but no more comics or art.

Post 36 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Steranko (this was last year) charged $20 per sig. But with that you get all you mentioned and a friendly chat.

$20 is very reasonable and I look forward to Meeting Jim Steranko in January and gladly giving him $100 to artistically sign 5 iconic covers that have caught my attention since I was a child. It will be the first time I've asked and artist or writer to sign a book on the outside rather than the inside.

X-men 50
Strange Tales 167
Nick Fury 3

I am considering having him sign Strange Adventures #216 next year when I see him at a con. Steranko didn't have anything to do with that comic, but Neal Adams put a hidden message to Steranko in one of the pages.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

No, a store in Burbank called Crusty Bunkers. I assume the guy I met would have been to young to be his son, but who knows?

Fair enough. I hadn't heard of that store. The name of the store isn't surprising.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO

X-men 50
Strange Tales 167
Nick Fury 3

it isn't even a question....
Post 39 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Thankfully I have no interest in the signature fiasco part of the hobby.

I'm with you 100%.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of entertaining that Neil is a sign of the Apocalypse, but the prices quoted in the Jim Lee thread didn't cause anyone to bat an eye. Also, people stood in huge lines to hand over money to Stan Lee. His prices kept going up and up. Wasn't a signature by him at least a $100.00 during his last signing season?
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
As I understand it as things are done these days; Adams etc. are given a generous stipend to attend.

As others stated it depends on the con. I know a promoter of a smaller show. He explained to me that to bring in bigger stars he offers them a minimum of $3000.00 for the weekend. The total runs against the total money that artist collects for the weekend through sales of autographs, sketches, and photo ops. Anything over the 3000.00 the artist gets 1/2 of those funds. Also, the promoter picks up the hotel expenses and has a driver take the creators to and from the event to their hotel daily.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO

X-men 50
Strange Tales 167
Nick Fury 3

it isn't even a question....
i picked this up for steranko to sign, he has one of the best/iconic signature
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Kind of entertaining that Neil is a sign of the Apocalypse, but the prices quoted in the Jim Lee thread didn't cause anyone to bat an eye. Also, people stood in huge lines to hand over money to Stan Lee. His prices kept going up and up. Wasn't a signature by him at least a $100.00 during his last signing season?

I think that is right. I got Stan's autograph about 4 years before he died, and it was $90. That was rare, but it was the Man, and he wasn't going to be around forever.

As much as I was glad to have it, the experience wasn't a great one. you couldn't talk to Stan, and he looked kind of unhappy just signing books non-stop for hours. To me, it just kind of reduced him to a cog in a machine.

Now, I generally have a rule that I don't pay more than $20 for an autograph. It's not a knock on the artists or anything, it's just that I have a hard time justifying more than that for someone to sign their name.

Steranko's was $20 last year, and that guy was a blast. We talked about 5 minutes, and there was no line to speak of.

For, Neal, I think I would gladly pay $50, and that's kind of rare, but he is kind of a giant in the industry, so I'm okay with it.

Everybody is different, and the autograph game isn't one I'll play on a regular basis.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Most of the signatures I want or felt were important I have gotten....the key one being Jack Kirby. The remaining few I feel a need to have were Steranko, Lee, Neal Adams, Mcfarlane, Gil Kane, and eventually a book done by Murphy Anderson. So far I have acquired the Steranko, a signed x men 50, the Stan Lee, a signed Spider Gwen one, and the Mcfarlane, a signed Spider man 1. In each case rather than pay a fee for a signature, I bought a signed book. With my x men 50 I paid a price that matches todays unsigned price. The Stan Lee signature I made arrangements to purchase for 200....a spider Gwen 9.8 witnessed. The Mcfarlane I paid 20 dollars for...it isn't slabbed, but it has the famous red web on the back so I am sure its legit as well. In each instance, I paid slightly more than the book itself might value for, to gain a signature I wanted. I just buy the ones I want already signed...and save the hassles.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Something I noticed that probably means little to most, but when you buy a Mike Royer signature it looks like a comic guys signature...it just has some mood to it.

Mike will tell you he isn't a comic book artist- He's a cartoonist, and takes pride in it, so he signs his name cartoon-y.

A story he likes to tell whenever Neal Adams comes up; Once several years ago after a convention at a gathering afterwards, Mike noticed NA was leaving and called out, "Neal! You're the only guy I know who can BRIGHTEN a room by leaving!" Roast style.

I doubt NA was amused lol
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:

I think his went as high at $200 per at one point? The difference between Stan Lee and Neal Adams, though, is Stan always had a line that stretched across the room. Neal usually has crickets around his booth from charging too much. He'd make so much more money IMO if he charged, say, half as much - $20 or $30 per - and sold twenty times as many. Just sign the bejeezus out of stuff, keep the line stacked. Limit the hours if you don't want to do that all day, and take home a mint.
Post 47 IP   flag post
How do any of you who slab for your personal collection (which means never intending to sell) feel about being charged the same as a person flipping each one they get? which is more in many cases. I know some only charge more if it's CGC, but I THINK I've seen prices reflecting higher sig prices for any grading Co.
I've always thought that was punishing the fan to get back at the flipper.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

I think his went as high at $200 per. The difference between Stan Lee and Neal Adams, though, is Stan always had a line that stretched across the room. Neal usually has crickets around his booth from charging too much. He'd make so much more money IMO if he charged, say, half as much - $20 or $30 per - and sold twenty times as many. Just sign the bejeezus out of stuff, keep the line stacked. Limit the hours if you don't want to do that all day, and take home a mint.

You ever think that he knows what the level of his signature is to be as profitable as he wants to be at the shows he attends? You can say all you want about him but Mr. Adams is not a dumb guy.

Oh, and still not comment on the Jim Lee prices from anyone. I guess everyone feels that Jim's pricing is either under what it should be or at the correct level.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
How do any of you who slab for your personal collection (which means never intending to sell) feel about being charged the same as a person flipping each one they get? which is more in many cases. I know some only charge more if it's CGC, but I THINK I've seen prices reflecting higher sig prices for any grading Co.

I have a few dozen SS for my PC. It doesn't bother me at all. Say I pay $20 for a sig and so does a flipper. He flips it with the sig, that means (if he does it right) that he charges more because of the signature than he had to pay for it. Say, a premium of $30 or $40 dollars, so he can make a profit off the sig.

That just means that because I, like the flipper, was willing to go to a con and stand in line and do all that, I got the same signature at wholesale price that other people have to pay retail for. So I'm happy about that.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:

You ever think that he knows what the level of his signature is to be as profitable as he wants to be at the shows he attends? You can say all you want about him but Mr. Adams is not a dumb guy.

Sure, maybe. That's why I said "IMO" ... it is my opinion that he, like Walmart did even though retailers had been around for a hundred years, could make more money by charging less. It is my opinion that Neal is trying to push the market higher on signatures. That's why he is always encouraging other creators to charge more, too. He does that by raising his prices and he gets frustrated that other creators don't follow suit.

Or maybe he just doesn't like the assembly-line process of having 10x the number of customers? Or maybe, as someone else suggested, he is trying to limit the number of Neal Adams signatures out there, to keep them special? Regardless, yes, I think he could do better with a different strategy.

Quote:

Oh, and still not comment on the Jim Lee prices from anyone. I guess everyone feels that Jim's pricing is either under what it should be or at the correct level.

Jim Lee and his signature is not really on my radar. His art is fine, great even, but it's not my favorite style, usually, and his is not one I'm interested in getting. So I don't have an opinion about how much he charges. I like his backpack, though.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Poseidon5421 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I think Stan's last public appearance was an Ace convention in Arizona in January of 2018. He was charging $110, same as he was charging the previous summer in Las Vegas (though ACE was much more organized than Las Vegas, which was a total shit storm that year). He looked miserable and was escorted out early on Saturday shortly after signing my book. Both signatures I have were pretty scribbly compared to earlier autographs that you find; his handlers, I feel, were milking him dry.

Neil signed two of my books this past summer and was happy to tell stories. He was telling me about his Sports Illustrated cover he was happy to do and told me he was paid tens of thousands of dollars for it. He isn't shy about telling you he is doing things to get paid, but at the same time answered my questions politely. I read he was doing the design of Iron Man for a movie they attempted in the early 90s and he confirmed the rumor and filled me in on the details. He was not getting a lot of traffic, though Roy Thomas was and he was only charging $20-25. I guess it's all how you look at the amount of traffic you want to deal with throughout the day.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:

Jim who?
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

Jim Lee and his signature is not really on my radar. His art is fine, great even, but it's not my favorite style, usually, and his is not one I'm interested in getting. So I don't have an opinion about how much he charges.

This.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:

Doesn't bother me because:

1) I don't buy signatures and don't want them in many cases. Despite that, I think I have around a dozen items signed by him. I've never asked to buy his signature. I buy a product of his and he's always signed it for free.

2) The flipper will have to mark it a higher price than what you pay to make any profit. That will help assure that what you paid holds it's value.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600671 124 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?