Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector tonyv private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking at my account page and notice that my ASM 9 has been given a grade of 8*. What does the "*" mean??
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think the "*" means a check mark.

CHECK MARK

In rare cases, a comic book will look much better than the given grade. In these rare cases, a Check Mark will be placed on the label by the numerical grade.

The best way to understand why a specific comic book received a  Check Mark designation is to refer to the graders' notes.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It means it's an 8.0, but it looks better than an 8.0 would normally look.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

So, if you're selling it, you can ask for more than your typical 8.0? Or does it not really matter?
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think the check mark is actually more a detriment than a positive.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
why?
Post 6 IP   flag post
the check Mark's are rare...I dont come across them very often. maybe I'm wrong in my thinking about this and I invite commentary. My perspective might change.

To me, the check mark means the book looks better than the grade but it's still getting that grade. it suggests to me that the "flaws" giving the book that grade are "concentrated". For example, a "normal" 8.0 might have some spine ticks and blunted corners. An 8.0 with a check mark might be a 9.8 if not for a large tear on the back cover (I'm using an extremely example to illustrate the point). The "concetrated" flaw could be a turn off because it's very glaring and obvious.

I might be totally wrong on this but this is what I've thought.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

So, if you're selling it, you can ask for more than your typical 8.0? Or does it not really matter?

I don't think it really matters. I think CBCS sees it as some type of carrot, but I'm not a donkey, so I don't really care.

I don't think it's a detriment, per se, but it might prevent someone from buying your 8.0 on the notion that it is under graded and can be cpr'ed and flipped.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I think the flaw is more internal and not readily visible when the book is in the slab, such as an interior page tear when the front and back cover look great.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@DrWatson I agree. That could very well be.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
How many times do you hear someone commenting about their slab, "This looks like a 9.2 but it got an 8.5." Or maybe "This looks way better than 8.0!! What are they thinking?" To me, this is CBCS saying exactly that!!! They are saying "Hey, we get that this looks a lot better than the grade we gave it. But there is something going on here that isn't easily detectable. So we've put this check mark on it to say that you should check out the graders notes to see what that defect is."

I've always understood it to signify a defect that is not easily seen when it is in the slab. But the defect is significant enough that if effects the grade. Therefore, rather than have people say that CBCS doesn't know how to grade, they are saying to check the notes before you pass judgement.

Does it add value to it? I don't think so. But if I had to choose, I'd probably choose a check marked slab over a regular one. Chances are that the cover will look a lot sharper because any defects on covers are pretty evident. In short, I'd probably be buying the copy with the most eye appeal. Of course, this is just in general. I'd have to see the books first. But if all else is equal (miwrap, gloss, etc), I'd probably get the check marked one.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Grade = Structural integrity along with defects.
Check Mark = Presentability... and nothing else.
Post 12 IP   flag post
lots a great perspectives coming out.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Wyldchyld private msg quote post Address this user
I have an X-Factor #6 that I had graded and it came back 8.5 with a check mark. I had it opened and signed at Heroes Con this year then re-graded and it came back a 9.0.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I'm pretty sure that the check just means "presents better than grade" ...at least this is how I'd assess it. Another way of looking at it would be two graders came to marginally different conclusions about the final grade and the check is just a reasonable compromise (this also helps explain incremental grade bumps without pressing).
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
The actual grade was probably 8.443621 and there wasn't enough room to put the actual grade.
Post 16 IP   flag post
598043 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?