Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How do you keep track of your comics?10247

Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Comic Books Collector Variant Edition app for android. I don't know if there's an Apple version.

COuldn't find this one on the play store
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I find having a list of what I'm after is easier to keep than a list of what I have.

I'm curious about this. Do you not sell yours or worry about what you have?

I think I see where you're coming from, but knowing what I have is important to me, at the moment.

I'm kind of divvying mine up for my kids, and nephew in case I get hit by a bus or kidnapped by a Skrull or something.

I do sell, but what I sell, I usually have no desire to acquire again. If I made really good money on it, I tend to remember that and look for other issues to resell.

No, I don't really worry about what I have. They sit in boxes in the closet. I have a pretty good memory and can remember what I've bought. That being said, I do surprise myself sometimes when flipping though boxes looking for something else.

Yeah, I'm really not concerned about what happens to my books after I'm gone. Ultimately, they're just things. If I had spent as much time and effort building a relationship as I did a collection, boy howdy.

That makes sense. I’ve done the same thing and been shocked at some the comics I didn’t know I had.

Thanks for the laugh at the end. My coworkers think I’ve gone crazy, but I actually laughed out loud!

To everyone else, thanks for all the suggestions. Time for a little research.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
7985 books not including books still to be read/entered in system - so really just over 8k books.

I use good old excel -mainly because this is how I've been tacking things since before the inter web was around

Have a master sheet with all books
a different sheet with current year purchases - at the end of the year I add those issues to the master and start new.

A sheet with sold issues to subtract off total and from master list

And a sheet with want issues.

every year or two I re-save as a new file and every year or so I put a copy in google docs (just incase something happens to my file)
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Comic Books Collector Variant Edition app for android. I don't know if there's an Apple version.

COuldn't find this one on the play store

Neither can I...weird. My app still appears to be supported so I don't understand why its not in the Play Store.
Post 29 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO

mm
Post 30 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Various Excel spreadsheets
Post 31 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
All my graded books are on an Excel spreadsheet that I try to update frequently. I include all the usual information, the serial number, and an estimated value so its all there for insurance purposes. I also have a Go Collect account that allows me to create lists of my comics and I can even upload scans of them. If they are CGC slabs, it will fill in the grade and other information for you and also give you a value for the book. Hopefully they will do the same for CBCS slabs if they can ever publish a census (how long have we been waiting for that? Answer - far too long.)

Believe it or not, I used to have 3 x 5 index cards in a metal flip-top holder with all my raw comics listed by title, but I stopped updating that system decades ago. I do have marked up spreadsheets for X-Men, ASM, Avengers, Conan, and a few other titles, but that still leaves thousands of others not yet inventoried. Someday.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I use comicspriceguide.com, but I might try CLZ. A friend of mine wants to me to come help him catalog his collection. He isn't as solid as estimating grades, so he would like help. Probably has close to 30 long boxes. He'll compensate me for my time and it's a five hour drive for me to go do this. I'll probably just tell him to get me some Chipotle or something. I'm more curious to see what all he has. He is going to use CLZ so I figure it's a good time to dip my toes in the water with it.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Ive never considered keeping a list of comics I want...I see one for sale and decide then. I guess I have most of the books that really interested me a ways back, but if I see something I will often decide in the moment to grab it.

There are a dozen or so books I buy every copy I can on sight just because....cover love, character enjoyment or perhaps speculation
Post 34 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I use comicspriceguide.com, but I might try CLZ. A friend of mine wants to me to come help him catalog his collection. He isn't as solid as estimating grades, so he would like help. Probably has close to 30 long boxes. He'll compensate me for my time and it's a five hour drive for me to go do this. I'll probably just tell him to get me some Chipotle or something. I'm more curious to see what all he has. He is going to use CLZ so I figure it's a good time to dip my toes in the water with it.

I'm thinking of tying CLZ myself, i would be interested in you opinion after you've used it and seen it in action. I used to use Comic Collector Live until my computer crashed (before the cloud thing)and i lost my entire inventory. I liked it because it was an annual fee, whatever you were missing in your collection you would just need to put a tick on it and you could print you "want list" and you could remove "want" items by clearing the tick. the reason i stopped using it is, once my computer crashed i was so angry/disheartened that i couldn't see myself entering everything again. after all these years i've gotten over it and want to give it another go but am interested to see if there are better ways.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Ha...I don't keep track. Its a mess. It used to be listed on the exterior of boxes, but I have moved severeal times, or boxes got damaged, so some of it is lost. Its part of the reason I started selling a little more. I need to downsize....so far I am "down" to 35 short boxes...and 3 graded...and 3 bookshelves with a mix of trades and comics in magazine holders.

I know where my "biggies" are but there is definitely an element of "I think I have that somewhere"
Post 36 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Ive never considered keeping a list of comics I want...I see one for sale and decide then. I guess I have most of the books that really interested me a ways back, but if I see something I will often decide in the moment to grab it.

There are a dozen or so books I buy every copy I can on sight just because....cover love, character enjoyment or perhaps speculation

what books do you buy on sight?

I have a childhood friend, whom a haven't spoken to in about a hear, who would always buy Silver Surfer #4 whenever he saw it and had spare money (this was in the 80's) so he has maybe 10, he sold his entire collection years ago for pennies on the dollar but kept his SS-4's and his Hulk #1. so that was his must buy. I don't have one but am curious.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I love CLZ, entering in oddball stuff can be a pain but overall its great.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I think Excel Spreadsheet is boss!

Fully customizable Ad Infinitum

Title
Issue - Published - Grade - Pur Date - Pur Price - Cur GPA - CBCS/CGC - Special Notes - etc....

Problem is, my hard drive crashed and the R2D2 flash drive I kept my backups on got taken to the laundry (literally). Oh well, I get to do it all over. And no, I don't have a cloud backup... nothing is sacred.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I keep my collection in file folders on my PC Hard drive(Backed up on a thumb drive)

I scan each book and then photoshop it on to my "Cyber Slab", A template I designed. I then add all of the book information. Im not concerned with any pricing or "values", Just the book information.

The finished photo is then added to the "Amazing Spiderman" folder.

The book is then bagged and boarded using E.Gerber mylars and Full Back boards.

Then it is filed in to the appropriate file drawer in my custom made wall cabinet.

Post 40 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I had started some type of list when I started collecting. Not only for the comics but the action figures, toys, games, Hot Wheels,cards, and other stuff I collect. I wouldn't even know where to start now I also probably have over 25K comics that I am selling
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Gamecube2482 private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley @sportshort I got CLZ about a year and a half ago and I have about 6K comics. If you have a smart phone they have it where you can scan the barcode of the comic with your camera and it will enter the comic into your list. That made it so much easier and quicker and im not gonna lie it was a little fun scanning them. I was hesitant to get CLZ because I didn't want to have to enter in all my comics but it was quick and easy with that phone app. I had my list on excel and comic book price guide before that.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
I am just short of 20k count, still have about 100-200 clz didn’t already include, and adding cover pics. Also about 8 long boxes of recent acquisitions to add in. No barcodes on almost 1/2 those, so manual entry at its finest. But better than my prior word doc for keeping counts. Pricing is atrocious so not worth entering grades except for those i want to upgrade. Still best pre-built app i can find.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately I sold the bulk of my collection years ago. Kept around 400 books. Think I maybe hitting 500 now.
So for me it's easy with such a low number collection. I just take photos of my books on my phone and carry it to comic shops and conventions.

Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I also use my phone notes to keep my lists for the titles I need to complete. It is easy and I can edit it easily.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

This is how it looks in my notes. Here is my Savage Sword of Conan list. This helped remind me that I purchased some of the last few issues not too long ago and need to add them to my list.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Love the Savage Sword series, fun to hunt down in high grade, plus they are inexpensive. I have 1-50 plus some select covers I like.
I don’t keep any record at all, my personal collection is about 200 graded, and roughly 1000 ungraded books.
Of course that means I forget I already own something and buy it again from time to time. Most every collector I know keeps no record at all.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944

Wow! You are playing at a whole different level than I am. All I've done to this point is account for mine. I haven't even gotten into getting them in order, and having a setup like that.

I've been moving mine out of the carboard boxes into the plastic ones. They are stackable, I think they protect them better.

Fast approaching 2000, I'm seriously considering selling or trading some, but I just don't want to get rid of any.

Most of them hold some kind of memories for me.

I'm not a hoarder at all. Why do you ask?
Post 48 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 - That is Awesome! I love you your storage.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
I just use go collect.
Post 50 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
I think Excel Spreadsheet is boss!

Fully customizable Ad Infinitum

Title
Issue - Published - Grade - Pur Date - Pur Price - Cur GPA - CBCS/CGC - Special Notes - etc....

Problem is, my hard drive crashed and the R2D2 flash drive I kept my backups on got taken to the laundry (literally). Oh well, I get to do it all over. And no, I don't have a cloud backup... nothing is sacred.

If the drive still spins, there is a relatively low cost software made by runtime. I have salvaged stuff off of horrible sounding drives with bad sectors etc.... best investment EVER for computer support.
Post 51 IP   flag post
600649 51 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?