Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Batwoman - Anyone watch it?10245

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC It's not my favorite Zep tune, but I'm glad someone caught my reference!!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Regardless of the actual percentage points, it's all about their agenda and to desensitize younger people to the lifestyle. The assault is ongoing and relentless no matter our gender or the color of our skin. I actually thought race relations were getting better and more accepting when Obama was elected. Turns out it was one step forward, two steps back. No matter how accepting, diverse and equal we eventually end up, there will always be someone who feels slighted and owed something. My outlook is dim. The CW may have started out with good intentions but the deluge of their agenda has become all-encompassing and all-engulphing without any thought to the ones who have been forgotten and ostracize. The woke ones have no idea what I'm talking about.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Empathy-the ability to turn something around and view it from the opposite side. What makes people who are anti LGBT assume they are right, and the advancement of the opposite side is an "agenda" Wouldnt you have to see it from the other side of the table and realize they see intolerance, a lack of acceptance, and the constant need to suppress and control their lifestyle as an "agenda?"

Suggesting that because LGBT lifestyles take a step forward is an "assault" the default condition is how a given lifestyle views things need to be is equally if not even more profoundly insensitive, rude and offensive.
Gender, and color of skin are only touchpoints in the world of intolerance, with yet another being views towards others chosen lifestyle or ideals.
Classifying people with labels, dehumanizes them and makes it easier to shuffle them into trashcans . Woke …...is just another version of a racial slur or a religious insult, or a physical trait being mocked.

We live in a nation that promises equal rights, liberty freedom and the pursuit of happiness. Nowhere does it say people must do that in ways that "unwoke" or supposedly normal agree with.

I am bummed they took the lesbian approach with Batwoman for the reaons I stated above..I always liked the atheletic and attractive female battling men as a great dynamic...but this isn't a hill I need to die in. What we call normal lifestyles get tons of movies and series every year...it doesn't hurt to let the other side score a win here or there
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Woke …...is just another version of a racial slur or a religious insult, or a physical trait being mocked.

No, it's not.

adjective
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"
Post 30 IP   flag post

Yes that is the meaning, but surely you have to get that depending which side of that coin you stand on, and what you consider injustice, it can indeed be precisely what I said....

You can be woke to racial injustice and sleep like a baby right through the fight for justice for alternate lifestyles....ie calling it an assault and an agenda.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Interpretation of a definition fogies up the true meaning of a word.

To be clear, personally, I am NOT against alternative lifestyles. What I am against is the constant in-your-face onslaught of this stuff that has nothing to do with the storyline. I don't care who they sleep with. Just give me a gritty and compelling story that is consistent with the characters we have all grown up with.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't watched the show and it's unlikely I will. Partially because I don't have the time and partially because I don't have the inclination.

I'm extremely pro-LGBT rights and acceptance. My oldest and dearest friend is gay. I love him like a brother; we've been through all life's ups and downs together. The fact he was born with a different sexual orientation means no more to our relationship than the fact he was born with different-colored eyes.

I have no problem whatsoever with gay or trans characters. Have at it. I'm quite glad to see some representation there, to be honest. Just as I'm glad to see comics featuring heroes from other countries and cultures.

The problem I do have is when diversity is elevated above story. Comics, movies, TV shows need to entertain first and foremost, and to do that they need good stories, meaningful characters and organic dialog. When writers forget what their real job is, you end up with a stilted excuse of a story populated by inch-deep social issue billboards masquerading as characters who all mouth dialog that sounds like it was lifted from a corporate inclusivity workshop.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
I haven't watched the show and it's unlikely I will. Partially because I don't have the time and partially because I don't have the inclination.

I'm extremely pro-LGBT rights and acceptance. My oldest and dearest friend is gay. I love him like a brother; we've been through all life's ups and downs together. The fact he was born with a different sexual orientation means no more to our relationship than the fact he was born with different-colored eyes.

I have no problem whatsoever with gay or trans characters. Have at it. I'm quite glad to see some representation there, to be honest. Just as I'm glad to see comics featuring heroes from other countries and cultures.

The problem I do have is when diversity is elevated above story. Comics, movies, TV shows need to entertain first and foremost, and to do that they need good stories, meaningful characters and organic dialog. When writers forget what their real job is, you end up with a stilted excuse of a story populated by inch-deep social issue billboards masquerading as characters who all mouth dialog that sounds like it was lifted from a corporate inclusivity workshop.
superbly stated
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

To be clear, personally, I am NOT against alternative lifestyles. What I am against is the constant in-your-face onslaught of this stuff that has nothing to do with the storyline. I don't care who they sleep with. Just give me a gritty and compelling story that is consistent with the characters we have all grown up with.
so you are equally offended if the female heroine has a love interest that is male since it isn't central to the story. In Michael Keaton's Batman his relationship with Vicki Vale was then an onslaught driven by agenda.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
To answer the question; I haven't seen it, and didn't know it was even coming because I gave up on CW hero shows. I liked the Flash ok, but after awhile I got tired of watching him never learn from his mistakes. "THIS time I'll do it right." I also got tired of watching someone who can hold entire conversations while the world seems to be frozen being taken by surprise by ANYTHING. Someone that fast should appear to have instantaneous reaction time. It's horribly inconsistent writing, because when dealing with a mugger with a gun he DOES react that fast. But get a Meta winding up to throw whatever power they have at him and he just waits for it.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Empathy-the ability to turn something around and view it from the opposite side. What makes people who are anti LGBT assume they are right, and the advancement of the opposite side is an "agenda" Wouldnt you have to see it from the other side of the table and realize they see intolerance, a lack of acceptance, and the constant need to suppress and control their lifestyle as an "agenda?"

Suggesting that because LGBT lifestyles take a step forward is an "assault" the default condition is how a given lifestyle views things need to be is equally if not even more profoundly insensitive, rude and offensive.
Gender, and color of skin are only touchpoints in the world of intolerance, with yet another being views towards others chosen lifestyle or ideals.
Classifying people with labels, dehumanizes them and makes it easier to shuffle them into trashcans . Woke …...is just another version of a racial slur or a religious insult, or a physical trait being mocked.

We live in a nation that promises equal rights, liberty freedom and the pursuit of happiness. Nowhere does it say people must do that in ways that "unwoke" or supposedly normal agree with.

I am bummed they took the lesbian approach with Batwoman for the reaons I stated above..I always liked the atheletic and attractive female battling men as a great dynamic...but this isn't a hill I need to die in. What we call normal lifestyles get tons of movies and series every year...it doesn't hurt to let the other side score a win here or there

If anything, I'm a little tired of the 120 pound female kicking the ass of 20 trained soldiers trope, but other than that, I don't really care.

It's been my experience that people who say "forced PC" or "agenda" are usually just overly sensitive of their own politics, and are extremely hostile to any other points of view.

Comics have had an "agenda" for decades. It just happened to be one they agreed with.

The fact that we have access to so much information, and communication, and many choose to shut down, and live in their own protective bubbles baffles my mind.

It's almost like they think seeing a lesbian Batwoman is going to make them turn into a male prostitute or something.

I'll get off my soapbox here, because these discussions seem to always devolve into screaming matches, and I don't want to make @Jessie_Os job harder than it is.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

so you are equally offended if the female heroine has a love interest that is male since it isn't central to the story. In Michael Keaton's Batman his relationship with Vicki Vale was then an onslaught driven by agenda.

No, I'm offended by people who ignorantly make assumptions about other people and argue just for the sake of arguing. BTW, my 32-year-old daughter, who is gay, happens to agree with me and also thought the scrawny Ruby Rose makes for an unrealistic Batwoman.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I would respond but since nothing I said was ignorant and no assumptions were made beyond what you posted yourself...about onslaughts and agendas ..
Also I am not arguing yo be arguing. I am responding to your inflammatory and rude rhetoric about LGBT people and.agendas.
Great you have a LESBIAN (not gay) daughter but that doesn't seem to have helped much with deepening your ideas about such sadly
Your initial comments did not mention the actress'scrawny build as your objection incidentally. You were concerned with onslaughts and agendas
Post 39 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town Use your spell-check.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I do not intend on watching Batwoman or Supergirl.

Football doesn't interest me, so I don't watch it on TV.
Lesbian relationships don't interest me, so I don't watch them on TV either.

I live in a diverse environment the minute I walk out the door and I accept the world for what it is.

When at home, I'll be selective and watch content that actually interests me.

A lesbian superhero isn't it.
I'm not interested in zombies, so I don't watch Walking Dead.
I'm not into ghost hunter shows. I don't watch them.

Call that what you will.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Call that what you will.

freedom
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Darkseid_of_town Use your spell-check.
yes of course. Because spelling was of course the issue. Sorry
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town Apology accepted.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Skipped it. Ruby said it wasn't for me so I took her word for it.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Rather ingenius to conflate your viewing freedoms with the CW having freedom to make the content they choose ...but to be clear by all means watch what you like ..but be clear just as movies made about heterosexual people are not an onslaught nor.an agenda neither are movies made about LGBT people
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
After reading many of the posts in the thread I can only post - If I knew where this thread was headed I wouldn't have started it.

and

Have we gotten to the we are making glue stage yet? I hope so.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

I'll get off my soapbox here, because these discussions seem to always devolve into screaming matches, and I don't want to make @Jessie_Os job harder than it is, so I'll just part with a suggestion that some here may be "punchy", and have closed, insecure little lives.

LOL
Fixed
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:

I'll get off my soapbox here, because these discussions seem to always devolve into screaming matches, and I don't want to make @Jessie_Os job harder than it is, so I'll just part with a suggestion that some here may be "punchy", and have closed, insecure little lives.

LOL
Fixed

@Siggy You're incorrigible, friend!

@Towmater I think we are at zombie horse stage now?
Post 49 IP   flag post

Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Rather ingenius to conflate your viewing freedoms with the CW having freedom to make the content they choose ...but to be clear by all means watch what you like ..but be clear just as movies made about heterosexual people are not an onslaught nor.an agenda neither are movies made about LGBT people

If the board had a filter to block seeing your posts, I would. You simply don't posts anything that interests me. In no way would I try to limit your right to express yourself, but your opinion has no significance to me. I'm close to wandering off from your playground. I'm capable of finding somewhere else to exchange thoughts and ideas. Best wishes for you.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

If the board had a filter to block seeing your posts, I would. You simply don't posts anything that interests me. In no way would I try to limit your right to express yourself, but your opinion has no significance to me. I'm close to wandering off from your playground. I'm capable of finding somewhere else to exchange thoughts and ideas. Best wishes for you.

I was thinking of a similar analogy. His baited statements are apparent and I chose to stop responding to him directly. There is a history of confrontational behavior.

I'm out!

Post 52 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Comics have had an "agenda" for decades. It just happened to be one they agreed with.

They may have had agendas, but at least they had enjoyable, well thought out, quality story lines in which to promote those agendas.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

mutual feelings. You were the person who attacked.me my very first posting here and you are constantly at a copy and paste level of.negative. Feel free to step where you like as long as it's as far from my posts as posaible
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I was thinking of a similar analogy. His baited statements are apparent and I chose to stop responding to him directly. There is a history of confrontational behavior.

I'm out!

because your hate speech and intolerance of LGBT lifestyle draws response you then play the victim even referring to me as if.i were not here...hilarious and childish both.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601494 105 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?