Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Batwoman - Anyone watch it?10245

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Batwoman was on last night. I watched about 5 minutes of it and turned it off. I watched the fight scene in the elevator and her waking up to Alice chatting with her about Batwoman's sister and her dad. I watched Alice knock her out. At that point I moved on.

Anyone enjoy it? If so, did it get better after the part I just wrote about?

BTW, it is getting a horrible audiance score on Rotten Tomatoes. Over 2300 people have reviewed it so far and it has an 8% positive rating. Yikes!

clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
My daughter and I did. She liked it.

It started slow, but finished better.

It’s obviously a CW show and is setting up much the same way: hero with tech savvy sidekick and supporting cast of helpers.

I’m going to give it a few episodes before passing judgement.

It has potential to be a little darker than the others and it’s a little more for comic nerds that the others.

It appears to take place during the No Mans Land storyline.

That’s my take, though. Others may see it differently.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't watch it, but I can say that I didn't care much for the intro in last season's Arrow, so I wasn't really expecting much.
Post 3 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
She said people like me won’t like it so I didn’t even bother downloading it. I didn’t want it to clog up my i7 and the 2tb nvme with 1.25tb free space and have to call a plumber to fix my computer.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Early days but I quite liked it but there again I liked Green Lantern 😊
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I think I watched about 5-6 minutes, got bored , then put on Urkle via Hulu...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Was not the best and Supergirl makes me gag.They seem to be going done hill.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito

Now THAT'S putting it into perspective lol.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
didn't know it was on...might give it a watch. Only really like the Flash and Rip Hunters Time team show (for a bit). Never got into Arrow and SuperGirl only lasted 1 or 2 seasons on my channels - although at that point it wasn't too bad.

Flash though..they did that show just about perfect for me and should have just rolled that actor/universe into the JLA movie rather than the stupid looking outfits etc. that they did use.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito

Now THAT'S putting it into perspective lol.

Someone at the bar told me not to admit I am actively watching Urkle lol
Post 10 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
The stories underlying message is clear and ruins the enjoyment of watching the show. The CW has insultingly gone off the rails with their in-your-face agenda they are pushing on today's kids. Seems like every show they produce now has a prerequisite that members of the cast must be LGBT. Way back when I was in high school, I probably would have thought it was "hot" to watch 2 chicks in a lip lock. Now it just gets old, forced and unnecessary. DC is just as much to blame for this unrealistic reflection of today's society. If they would leave it out of some of the shows I think it would offend fewer fans of the superhero genre TV shows. JMO
Post 11 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
The stories underlying message is clear and ruins the enjoyment of watching the show. The CW has insultingly gone off the rails with their in-your-face agenda they are pushing on today's kids. Seems like every show they produce now has a prerequisite that members of the cast must be LGBT. Way back when I was in high school, I probably would have thought it was "hot" to watch 2 chicks in a lip lock. Now it just gets old, forced and unnecessary. DC is just as much to blame for this unrealistic reflection of today's society. If they would leave it out of some of the shows I think it would offend fewer fans of the superhero genre TV shows. JMO

Almost everything on TV is unwatchable.

Sometimes I watch South Park, even if it's not a particularly funny episode, based on the fact that it mocks these kind of agendas.

To me - comic book shows and movies are not the times/places to deal with real-life issues. It's simply unrealistic. Sitcoms were meant to be the forum for that kind of life lesson.

Remember that episode of Fresh Prince where Will's character was down about his father? That s^&* hit hard because it was a funny and great show. When it got real, you took notice.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I guess we might live in different areas of the country but I hardly think its "unrealistic" in todays world. I could try it various ways to find if there are LGBT in sectors of my life in proportions to modern filmmaking but the result would be that actually because they insist on having one per show, its almost a quota thing rather than reality...in real life the proportions are far more direct in how many people in a given group are LGBT.

As for offending less, possibly, but in this modern age, I think they probably gain more support from fringe groups than they lose from mainstream people who are offended. As you indicated it has become the norm for the shows they make..they aren't doing that because it hurts their viewer numbers, they are doing it because this type or program will likely only appeal to a small slice of demographics they poll, and this adds another few slices, rather than removing them.

I think it does limit storytelling potential however
Post 13 IP   flag post
Just as "Video killed the radio star", wokeness killed the TV superhero shows, LOL!

Post 14 IP   flag post
I somehow doubt it will kill anything, welcome to the modern world. Radio stars survived long after video...ala Rush Limbaugh, Art bell and dozens of others. They simply weren't singing artists anymore but rather talkshow hosts, evangelists, fraud ministries, and self help gurus.
Every generation evolves and goes on. Things change, its the only constant there is. I myself could live without it, it isn't my thing either. I personally think a female crime fighter that battles male criminals on their own turf has more..."edge"or "punch" if their is also a clear attraction or sexual tension between the two. I used to love watching Ashley Scott fight scenes in Birds of Prey, for that reason as much as the story itself.
The truth is CW isn't targeting our demographic and could care less what older males might take from their show They are aiming at teens and yonger crowds where the LGBT lifestyle is more …..common.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
ok, ok, ok...people
News flash - we think the shows are crap etc. etc. but 'we' are not the target market!!!

If the shows don't get the ratings they will go off air like any other show, but I guarantee old white guys are not who they are trying to get to watch these shows - we have plenty already.

I grew up in a small tourist town where probably the 2nd or 3rd largest employer was the theater (not including farms) - plenty of LGBT folks in town as neighbors, parents, employers etc. etc. Not all were actors - I knew this couple who did the special effects - pretty cool when you are young to see how some practical effects are done!

Anywhoooo....back in the day they had no representation on TV - maybe for now there may be too much, who knows, maybe it will settle to a different level in the future. If it's not for me then so be it - let the chips fall where they may - as long as some portion of people like the show and as long as the writing/story lines and acting is good I say go for it
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Edit: initially I made a comment, then I realized..."who dafuq cares"... I'm not the target demo of any CW show
Post 17 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
I think that mostly everyone enjoys "representation". I also think that forced "representation", exploiting "representation" for profit, and transparently pushing agendas is annoying to most people.
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If I want to see lesbians in action, it's going to be free, on the Internet, and in a more adult oriented situation.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Arak private msg quote post Address this user
I have to chime in , but I hate to bash something that someone else may enjoy, I need to get this off my chest.

Back when Arrow started on the CW
"OMG I am so excited , all my childhood comic characters brought to life. CW is going to be where I live from now on. I will never miss a single show"

Today
"Hey, Arak, You watching Batwoman on CW?
"I would rather slowly drive an ice pick through my skull"

How could my feelings become so diametrically opposed, in such a short amount time?

The deliberate and blatantly transparent use of the medium to further the agenda of any group or individual at the cost of corrupting the characters , facts , or the story line ruins for me
FACT: when you ask an average person in North America what percent of the population is LGBT, most respond between 45-65% The younger the person the higher the number. The actual percentage being extremely conservative is 4.5% all combined

Having the same 3 writers rehash the same scripts from one show to the other while they get stoned out of their minds.
Fact: I can't quantify or corroborate this .It is my hallucination that it has to be true since its the only logical explanation. hmmmm unless we want to revisit the aliens from Roswell theory.

I am a Texas male cowboy , former Airborne Ranger, Martial Art Master (I got my 5th in 2009 so yes the title is master) who has never been given a participation trophy, never collected any form of entitlement to include military disability even though a 1/3 of my right leg is titanium, left wrist, left testicle etc. cannot abide any type of bully( be it a man over a woman/child, 5 on 1, a group of terrorist over hostages, or a stronger nation over one weaker. I wouldn't know what to do in a safe room, and never once had a word hurt ( it was always grenade shrapnel,bullets ,knives that hurt) I do not now , nor will I have a NEED to discuss my feelings.
ALL of this to illustrate that I cannot identify with a single male on any CW show.

Well those are my reasons, loquacious and long winded they may be .... I will say this in closing , I am into the second season of my favorite show. Yes OG it is DC. and it does not have a single common denominator with CW shows, TITANS and it is so good er so far
I'm out Peace
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics

Great points. We aren’t the demographic. It’s the younger generation, and they like these shows.

My big issue is anytime there’s a strong minority character there’s a lot handwringing about forced diversity, and I just don’t get it.

Comic readers and characters are generally misfits.

Superman-last survivor of a dead world

Batman- an orphan raised by a butler.

X-men- just being a mutant, made you an out cast.

I could go on, but the point is being an outcast or being different, we all know what it feels like.

I don’t understand why the comic community in general isn’t open to new blood.

To paraphrase a wise man: we’ve got a message for all you beautiful people. There are more of us than there are of you.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

I agree. It's getting to the "token lesbian" point. I stopped watching Legends... when it seemed the blonde was finding a lover in every time line.
I have nothing against same sex, and love a good HLA scene, but not when it's forced.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arak
I have to chime in , but I hate to bash something that someone else may enjoy, I need to get this off my chest.

Back when Arrow started on the CW
"OMG I am so excited , all my childhood comic characters brought to life. CW is going to be where I live from now on. I will never miss a single show"

Today
"Hey, Arak, You watching Batwoman on CW?
"I would rather slowly drive an ice pick through my skull"

How could my feelings become so diametrically opposed, in such a short amount time?

The deliberate and blatantly transparent use of the medium to further the agenda of any group or individual at the cost of corrupting the characters , facts , or the story line ruins for me
FACT: when you ask an average person in North America what percent of the population is LGBT, most respond between 45-65% The younger the person the higher the number. The actual percentage being extremely conservative is 4.5% all combined

Having the same 3 writers rehash the same scripts from one show to the other while they get stoned out of their minds.
Fact: I can't quantify or corroborate this .It is my hallucination that it has to be true since its the only logical explanation. hmmmm unless we want to revisit the aliens from Roswell theory.

I am a Texas male cowboy , former Airborne Ranger, Martial Art Master (I got my 5th in 2009 so yes the title is master) who has never been given a participation trophy, never collected any form of entitlement to include military disability even though a 1/3 of my right leg is titanium, left wrist, left testicle etc. cannot abide any type of bully( be it a man over a woman/child, 5 on 1, a group of terrorist over hostages, or a stronger nation over one weaker. I wouldn't know what to do in a safe room, and never once had a word hurt ( it was always grenade shrapnel,bullets ,knives that hurt) I do not now , nor will I have a NEED to discuss my feelings.
ALL of this to illustrate that I cannot identify with a single male on any CW show.

Well those are my reasons, loquacious and long winded they may be .... I will say this in closing , I am into the second season of my favorite show. Yes OG it is DC. and it does not have a single common denominator with CW shows, TITANS and it is so good er so far
I'm out Peace
Some solid information and thoughts there, thanks for sharing them. I would offer that number 4.5 percent is EXTREMELY conservative..the lowest state percentage is Ohio with 4.3. States like the district of Columbia have a rate of 9.8 percent based on actual LGBT data, rather than only on gay activity.Given the District of Columbia is one of the most population dense areas of the country that is likely to skew the results heavily nationally.When people toss around a rate of 4.5 it is generally based on gay population rather than overall LGBT numbers.In fact at least twenty states poll as having an LGBT community over or at the 4.5 threshold

Another thing that should be considered is the stigma of being openly LGBT or counted as such within these fact gathereing adventures. I am guessing many people tone down their answers rather than lose military positions, advancement, or even familil standing based on the them. I believe it has to be inaccurate to a great degree given the perceptions and ideas society has placed on falling within the boundaries of the lifestyle.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Let's not forget that the ratio of superheroes in America has remained a constant 0% for many years!! My point - population statistics mean very little in the actual content of many shows. There are many shows that have been about elements on the "fringe" of society.

How many households had mixed race adoptions in the 1980's?? It wasn't very many I can assure you of that. Yet, "Different Strokes" was a major tv success. Do you really believe that New Jersey is as full of gangsters as "Sopranos" portrayed it being? Do you believe every corporate setting is like "The Office"? Of course not. Or do you think that every teenager and most adults smoked pot in the 1970's as shown in "That 70's Show"? My point is that tv has a history (a rather successful one at that) of concentrating aspects of a show on the fringe elements. "Sons of Anarchy" is hardly a realistic portrayal of the majority of bike gangs. Yes, there are some like that, but in the show you get the impression that the "1%" is actually 99% of bikers.

If you are going to say that a tv show that pushes a certain agenda or lifestyle upsets you, are you then saying that the other shows, that push different agendas or lifestyles, are ok with you? What about the hugely popular "Breaking Bad"? If you were a fan, do you support the manufacturing of illegal drugs and the lifestyle that entails? If you were a fan and don't support drug use, why did you watch it? More than likely, it's simply that you enjoyed it. On some level, you found it to have entertainment value.

This is my long winded way of saying, "Don't judge a show based on its' supposed 'agenda'. You might surprise yourself and actually be entertained if you give it a chance."

And just FYI, when "Different Strokes" first aired, there was a lot of "agenda" debate back then as well. Interracial adoption was far from a common thing and many people had many differing opinions on the subject. This type of debate is "old hat" when it comes to tv shows and Hollywood. The tune may change, but the song remains the same.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to hold off on the "agenda" issue because like Jesse_O points out, there are always people who push their agenda through shows or people who want to believe that the creators are trying to push an agenda.

The whole thing for me is that it's just bad storytelling. The better stories are the ones that allow the viewer or reader to infer and fill in with their own imagination. This dumbing down and having to be explicit about everything just kills it for me.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC It's not my favorite Zep tune, but I'm glad someone caught my reference!!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Regardless of the actual percentage points, it's all about their agenda and to desensitize younger people to the lifestyle. The assault is ongoing and relentless no matter our gender or the color of our skin. I actually thought race relations were getting better and more accepting when Obama was elected. Turns out it was one step forward, two steps back. No matter how accepting, diverse and equal we eventually end up, there will always be someone who feels slighted and owed something. My outlook is dim. The CW may have started out with good intentions but the deluge of their agenda has become all-encompassing and all-engulphing without any thought to the ones who have been forgotten and ostracize. The woke ones have no idea what I'm talking about.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Empathy-the ability to turn something around and view it from the opposite side. What makes people who are anti LGBT assume they are right, and the advancement of the opposite side is an "agenda" Wouldnt you have to see it from the other side of the table and realize they see intolerance, a lack of acceptance, and the constant need to suppress and control their lifestyle as an "agenda?"

Suggesting that because LGBT lifestyles take a step forward is an "assault" the default condition is how a given lifestyle views things need to be is equally if not even more profoundly insensitive, rude and offensive.
Gender, and color of skin are only touchpoints in the world of intolerance, with yet another being views towards others chosen lifestyle or ideals.
Classifying people with labels, dehumanizes them and makes it easier to shuffle them into trashcans . Woke …...is just another version of a racial slur or a religious insult, or a physical trait being mocked.

We live in a nation that promises equal rights, liberty freedom and the pursuit of happiness. Nowhere does it say people must do that in ways that "unwoke" or supposedly normal agree with.

I am bummed they took the lesbian approach with Batwoman for the reaons I stated above..I always liked the atheletic and attractive female battling men as a great dynamic...but this isn't a hill I need to die in. What we call normal lifestyles get tons of movies and series every year...it doesn't hurt to let the other side score a win here or there
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Woke …...is just another version of a racial slur or a religious insult, or a physical trait being mocked.

No, it's not.

adjective
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"
Post 30 IP   flag post
597946 105 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?