Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

"Restored" collectibles10234

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it would be interesting to look at how collectors view the "restored" label. This idea popped into my head when my dad asked me to look up a Coca-Cola airline cooler. He has one he wants to sell and wanted to know its' value. When I saw the listings for the top two sales, I actually let out a good chuckle!!! Sometimes I think the comic collecting world is backwards, and other times I know it is!!! LOL!!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. It's like when someone looks to buy a classic muscle car. Do they want a raggedy rusty bucket that needs work, or a restored one? Or the coolers you supplied as an example.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I think people's view on restoration depend greatly on the scarcity of an item. We can be [mostly] picky because there are so many copies of so many comics. The TRULY rare ones would be mega hot if restored copies were all we had. As long as there are unrestored copies somewhat realistically obtainable, restored gets a cold shoulder.
IMO
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
If you just want the retro look, get a new one. WalMart $179

Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
To be fair the same originality snobs exist in the collector car market. It’s the survivors in exceptional original condition that fetch the abnormally Huge amounts, but only with the already valuable “key” vehicles. A classic exotic or a muscle car with rare desirable options, for example.
Post 5 IP   flag post
601488 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?