Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsQuestionsSignatures

Help, I have con questions and I can't get up10228

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
With the ceiling busting prices x men 50 keeps bringing, it is a good investment as well. I paid a small fortune for mine a few years back or so I thought and now a CGC 6.5 is bringing what mine cost unsigned
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@sportshort - For the record, Jim Shooter was free last year and told me that the other comic book people complain to him that he should charge. A really great guy to talk to and when I saw him there was no line at all.
I liked Jim, but even at the con I met him (think it was Tampa 2015 or 2016) other creators were taking digs at him.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 That sucks. I heard that he was a pariah in the comic book industry for years. Too bad from what I’ve read he’s done as much good for the industry as anyone.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is terrible. I came looking for advice and y’all talking about comics and stuff.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Weird, right?
Post 30 IP   flag post


Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
here's the right California con that Steranko is appearing at, www.calcomiccon.com, it's on January 26th in Orange county Ca.


Cal comic con is already the most awesome little tiny 1 day con ever. I think I've gone every year since they opened. Back issue dealers from California, Arizona and Nevada, Parking within steps of the front door. NO COSPLAY OR RIFFRAFF! Can't believe they will have Jim Steranko there this year.

I'm going to LA Con this Friday, but just to get some books to my favorite presser. Last time I went I was already irritated by time I had parked, bussed, walked and waited in line with 47 inferior versions of Wonder Woman to get in. Must have been 2016 or 2017.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to Saturday L.A. comic-con but I just heard of this con a year ago and thought it might too small to really enjoy. Since you've recommended it, i have more confidence about going. You're right the chance to get a Steranko signature is worth it. Also I saw their ticket tiers, kinda amazing, that you can meet and greet with the guests, attend the show and have some preview something or other swap meet (whatever that is) for 50 dollars (food included in the meet and greet). that's pretty neat.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller looks like they moved it from Yoruba Linda. That's a power packed comic con. Big guests and hard to find books.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@EbaySeller looks like they moved it from Yoruba Linda. That's a power packed comic con. Big guests and hard to find books.


Funny because last show I told Terry that his convention had become to successful for the venue. He disagreed, but I guess he agrees now. All of his booth space has been sold out for years but I guess it took the parking lot filling up to finally convince him.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
here's the right California con that Steranko is appearing at, www.calcomiccon.com, it's on January 26th in Orange county Ca.


Cal comic con is already the most awesome little tiny 1 day con ever. I think I've gone every year since they opened. Back issue dealers from California, Arizona and Nevada, Parking within steps of the front door. NO COSPLAY OR RIFFRAFF! Can't believe they will have Jim Steranko there this year.

I'm going to LA Con this Friday, but just to get some books to my favorite presser. Last time I went I was already irritated by time I had parked, bussed, walked and waited in line with 47 inferior versions of Wonder Woman to get in. Must have been 2016 or 2017.
I guess I won't ever understand this hobby. Everyone is gloom and doom kids are leaving comics but when they.dress.up.ans.emulate their favorite characters they are termed riff raff
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
when they.dress.up.ans.emulate their favorite characters they are termed riff raff


Lol...It's more a term of annoyance than disdain. The first hundred or so actually improved the conventions and made them more interesting. It's the following thousands that have made some conventions somewhat unbearable. Call it the "old man" syndrome...as population or popularity grows we feel displaced and the things that were once "ours" don't feel like ours anymore. So we shake our fist, call them riff-raff and talk about how the neighborhood is going to hell (in a hand-basket).

In the heavy population of Southern California it's nice to have 1 convention a year that is dedicated solely to people who want to just buy and sell collectible comics.
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@sportshort - For the record, Jim Shooter was free last year and told me that the other comic book people complain to him that he should charge. A really great guy to talk to and when I saw him there was no line at all.
I liked Jim, but even at the con I met him (think it was Tampa 2015 or 2016) other creators were taking digs at him.


Jim Shooter was chief editor at Marvel for quite some time. You could be the coolest guy but when you are the boss people are going to resent you for telling them what to do.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos, Amen to that!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos


Jim Shooter was chief editor at Marvel for quite some time. You could be the coolest guy but when you are the boss people are going to resent you for telling them what to do.

This is exactly what they were on about...his time as editor. He was fired in 1987 because he wanted more control over story content and...specifically, wanted the creators to *gasp* meet deadlines.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Turbo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
That begs the question, does anyone have a brand of a good quick drying marker? i've seen another thread on here of smeared marker signatures. I wouldn't want my book nor signature smeared.


Get a green Oil-Based paint marker from Sharpie. I use the Fine point, but I know a buddy who prefers the Medium. Pretty easy to find - I get mine at Michael's with their frequent coupons. Make sure to shake it well and prime it ahead of time. Try it at home first if you've never used one before.

It takes about a minute to dry, maybe two; not too long really but it's definitely not as fast as a normal sharpie, so you won't be able to bag it up right away. Take the opportunity to listen to one of Steranko's great stories while you let it dry!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
That begs the question, does anyone have a brand of a good quick drying marker? i've seen another thread on here of smeared marker signatures. I wouldn't want my book nor signature smeared.


Get a green Oil-Based paint marker from Sharpie. I use the Fine point, but I know a buddy who prefers the Medium. Pretty easy to find - I get mine at Michael's with their frequent coupons. Make sure to shake it well and prime it ahead of time. Try it at home first if you've never used one before.

It takes about a minute to dry, maybe two; not too long really but it's definitely not as fast as a normal sharpie, so you won't be able to bag it up right away. Take the opportunity to listen to one of Steranko's great stories while you let it dry!


Sweet, thanks!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The librarian at the Library of Congress told us when we went to see the AF 15 original art that those paint pens actually eat away at the cover stock.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
The librarian at the Library of Congress told us when we went to see the AF 15 original art that those paint pens actually eat away at the cover stock.


ARRGH! so, a ballpoint pen? (that embosses the signature on to the first few pages).
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@sportshort - For the record, Jim Shooter was free last year and told me that the other comic book people complain to him that he should charge. A really great guy to talk to and when I saw him there was no line at all.
I liked Jim, but even at the con I met him (think it was Tampa 2015 or 2016) other creators were taking digs at him.


They insult Neal Adams for charging more than them. They want you to spend money with them. If you are hanging around someone charging less, they get upset. If you hang around someone charging more, they get upset.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@sportshort - For the record, Jim Shooter was free last year and told me that the other comic book people complain to him that he should charge. A really great guy to talk to and when I saw him there was no line at all.
I liked Jim, but even at the con I met him (think it was Tampa 2015 or 2016) other creators were taking digs at him.


They insult Neal Adams for charging more than them. They want you to spend money with them. If you are hanging around someone charging less, they get upset. If you hang around someone charging more, they get upset.


It's the old "...cake and eat it too"
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@sportshort - For the record, Jim Shooter was free last year and told me that the other comic book people complain to him that he should charge. A really great guy to talk to and when I saw him there was no line at all.
I liked Jim, but even at the con I met him (think it was Tampa 2015 or 2016) other creators were taking digs at him.


They insult Neal Adams for charging more than them. They want you to spend money with them. If you are hanging around someone charging less, they get upset. If you hang around someone charging more, they get upset.


It's the old "...cake and eat it too"


The old-timers in the industry have decades of fans. I think the new creators just haven't got a big enough body of work that people care about yet. I think there is a feeling of jealousy when they see people going to someone else's table to spend money. I lost some respect for some creators after they made rude comments about Neal Adams. I'm holding a sketch that he did for a 20% discount on his going rates and they are telling me he charges too much. I was willing to pay full price. I wanted art from Neal because he's a legend that shaped the entire industry. I didn't want great art from some no-name that just followed everyone else's lead. My girlfriend draws better than some of the creators at these shows.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Turbo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
The librarian at the Library of Congress told us when we went to see the AF 15 original art that those paint pens actually eat away at the cover stock.


It's quite possible that some do - but there are a lot of different kinds of paint markers (oil vs. acrylic, etc.)... Did they provide any other specifics? I've been using them for a few years now with no ill effects, but some of these things like deterioration take more time so I'm curious.
Post 47 IP   flag post
265896 47 22
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute