Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

MCS Big Book Auction! And contest? 22 books listed, from GA to now!10209

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, boy, are there some good comics in this lot. From 1943 to last month, there is something for everyone.

In the past I've held a small contest or two, and I am thinking of doing that here. Before, contestants got one point for bidding on a comic (one per comic, so 22 total possible points); and three points for winning a comic. Then a random drawing. I'm thinking of adding: five points for *posting* a comic - link + picture somewhere on social media or comic forums, to advertise a particular issue. I wouldn't want anyone to violate a forum's rules, of course, but it might be fun. What do you think? Screen shots of postings here for the points? Or a link?

Well, I guess I'll need a suitable prize also. Something really nice. Any suggestions are welcome.

But for now, here they are! I'm now up to 22 comics, and the auction starts on Monday. Click the links and add to your "watch" list, you won't want to miss these!

DC Nation #0, with new cover by the great José Luis García-López. And Signed!
Batman #428, the death of Jason Todd. Signed by Mike Mignola!
Flash Comics #41 in an astonishing 7.0 (conserved)! High grade GA comics are hard to find and lightly traded. Could go cheap!
Black Panther #1, 1:500 remastered Kirby (previously unpublished) cover.
From the Silver Age we have:
Flash #120, first team up between Flash and Kid Flash.
Justice League of America #2.
Daredevil #4 (8.0!) with the yellow costume and 1st Purple Man.
Justice League of America #75 - Black Canary joins the league! (Based on the Wolfman and Perez retcon, this is the first appearance of Earth One's Black Canary. But I don't know if that's still continuity.)
From the Bronze Age:
Batman #251 - Joker's Five Way Revenge!
Flash #217 - This has the first chapter in the famous Green Lantern / Green Arrow story: The Killing of an Archer, by O'Neil and Adams.
Batman #253 - Batman and The Shadow!
And from the Modern Age, a bunch of stuff. Ghost Tree #1 (9.8), 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank #1 (9.8), Naomi #1A and #1B and #2 1st print. The 1:200 Heroes In Crisis #1 by Mattina. Detective Comics #1000 with an AMAZING cover by JeeHyung Lee, both regular version and the virgin variant. Also:
Catwoman #7B with a beautiful cover by Ben Oliver.
Conan the Barbarian (9.8) reboot #1 with the awesome 1:200 Sienkiewicz variant.
Batman #50 with the Mattina color splash variant.

Whew. Did I forget anything?

I noticed I don't have any comics past the letter 'N', so I'm thinking of maybe adding something. Perhaps a Wonder Woman for @MutantMania ? Or a WDC&S for @poka? (I've only got one, so you'll have to twist my arm.) I have a few World's Finest from the Bronze Age that are nice. Or the final issue of Walking Dead?

Anyone like Venom? I just added Venom #3, first appearance of Knull. So I guess that makes 23 total books.

Well. Let me know what you think! And good hunting!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid Oooooo...that Flash Comics #41 is a beaut!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm
@Tedsaid Oooooo...that Flash Comics #41 is a beaut!

I know, right? It's even better looking in person. The lighting on the scan is a bit dull.

Here's a picture from before I had it graded. It's one of those GA books that has just one staple, to save metal during the war. The insides are nice, too ... crisp and clear.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid Wow! Look at that cover color and gloss! Amazing page quality too! ....wait, I need to stop talking it up....yeah, it's okay I guess..others should definitely pass on this book 🤥
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm
@Tedsaid Wow! Look at that cover color and gloss! Amazing page quality too! ....wait, I need to stop talking it up....yeah, it's okay I guess..others should definitely pass on this book 🤥

Hahahaha ... well, good luck! Hopefully it will go to a good home.

I have more pics from the seller if you'd like to see them. (I mean, the original seller I bought it from some years ago. I never took pictures for myself, because I had it in hand.) Here's a close-up of the date stamp - March 11, '43. (I love date stamps like this. The publication date was actually May 1943; but with the date stamp there, you know exactly when it hit the shelves.)

Post 5 IP   flag post
Well, I didn't get any responses about a contest, so I guess we won't do one this time around. But still! A lot of great books for auction!

I've also added a few more, so there's 26 total now. I've added:

Immortal Hulk #20, with the "secret" variant cover.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #95A and #95B, first appearance of Jennika as a turtle.

I have some TMNT #96 copies I wanted to put in, too, but looks like they won't quite be set up in time. I'll check tomorrow, see if they are ready.

Post 6 IP   flag post
After the first day at auction, here's where the comics stand in the bidding:

$7.00 (3 bids) DC Nation #0 (9.8, signed)
$89.00 (5 bids) Batman #428 (9.2, signed)
$44.00 (3 bids) Flash Comics #41 (7.0)
$1.00 (1 bid) Black Panther #1 (9.8) 1:500
$34.00 (3 bids) Flash #120 (7.0)
$6.00 (3 bids) Justice League of America #2 (3.5)
$205.00 (7 bids) Daredevil #4 (8.0)
$105.00 (4 bids) Justice League of America #75 (7.5)
$338.00 (9 bids) Batman #251 (8.5)
$71.00 (3 bids) Flash #217 (9.2)
$9.00 (3 bids) Batman #253 (9.4)
$9.00 (2 bids) Ghost Tree #1 (9.8)
$1.00 (1 bid) 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank #1 (9.8)
$42.00 (4 bids) Naomi #1A (9.8)
$36.00 (3 bids) Naomi #1B (9.8)
$21.00 (7 bids) Naomi #2 (9.8)
$56.00 (4 bids) Heroes In Crisis #1 (9.8) 1:200
$36.00 (8 bids) Detective Comics #1000 (9.8) JeeHyung Lee variant
$13.00 (3 bids) Detective Comics #1000 (9.8) JeeHyung Lee virgin variant
$13.00 (4 bids) Catwoman #7B (9.8)
$27.00 (4 bids) Conan the Barbarian #1 (9.8) 1:200 Sienkiewicz variant
$11.00 (3 bids) Batman #50 (9.8) Mattina color splash variant
$20.00 (5 bids) Venom #3 (9.8)
$24.00 (2 bids) Immortal Hulk #20 (9.8)"secret" variant
$36.00 (7 bids) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #95A (9.8)
$41.00 (7 bids) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #95B (9.8)

Also, while I was typing this, Batman #253 jumped to $28.00 (4 bids), and Black Panther 1:500 moved up to $12.00 (2 bids). So we're getting some good action still. I probably won't post many more updates during the week. Most of these end next Monday, and the Naomi's and above end on Tuesday.
Post 7 IP   flag post
just 1-2 days left! Some are getting up there, but a lot are still great deals! Here's where the comics stand in the bidding:

$21.00 DC Nation #0 (9.8, signed)
$136.00 Batman #428 (9.2, signed)
$116.00 Flash Comics #41 (7.0)
$22.00 Black Panther #1 (9.8) 1:500 Kirby remastered
$75.00 Flash #120 (7.0)
$63.00 Justice League of America #2 (3.5)
$340.00 Daredevil #4 (8.0)
$131.00 Justice League of America #75 (7.5)
$466.00 Batman #251 (8.5)
$96.00 Flash #217 (9.2)
$91.00 Batman #253 (9.4)
$13.00 Ghost Tree #1 (9.8)
$16.00 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank #1 (9.8)
$68.00 Naomi #1A (9.8)
$47.00 Naomi #1B (9.8)
$22.00 Naomi #2 (9.8)
$78.00 Heroes In Crisis #1 (9.8) 1:200 Mattina
$71.00 Detective Comics #1000 (9.8) JeeHyung Lee variant
$43.00 Detective Comics #1000 (9.8) JeeHyung Lee virgin variant
$21.00 Catwoman #7B (9.8)
$79.00 Conan the Barbarian #1 (9.8) 1:200 Sienkiewicz variant
$26.00 Batman #50 (9.8) Mattina color splash variant
$77.00 Venom #3 (9.8)
$26.00 Immortal Hulk #20 (9.8) "secret" variant
$71.00 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #95A (9.8)
$71.00 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #95B (9.8)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck. Hope it works out. I am sure @drchaos will try and pick up a few incl the Naomi books
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Good luck. Hope it works out. I am sure @drchaos will try and pick up a few incl the Naomi books

Thanks, poka! I am cautiously optimistic. And also, I hope the auction will provide more information as to which books do well in the quarterly and which ones do not.

So far, I'm really surprised only by the Flash Comics #41. I was worried a Golden age wouldn't do well, and that seems to be right, even at that high grade. (Or, I may have underestimated how many people are put off by the "conserved" label.)
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid 2.5 years since the last CGC graded book sold. Just not a popular book
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:

Heh, yeah. I like to think, not a COMMON book. But I guess that's the trouble with GA ... the rarity negatively affects the popularity. Hard to collect something that almost never is available.

Well ... it could be, all the bidders are just in it to mark it, and will save their big guns until the final minutes.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Bronze Age books and older ended tonight, and the rest tomorrow night. The ones in bold are done, and this is the final price. For the rest, it is the current bid (as of 10:00 pm Monday night):

$21.00 DC Nation #0 (9.8, signed)
$141.00 Batman #428 (9.2, signed)
$194.00 Flash Comics #41 (7.0)
$52.00 Black Panther #1 (9.8) 1:500 Kirby remastered
$85.00 Flash #120 (7.0)
$123.00 Justice League of America #2 (3.5)
$415.00 Daredevil #4 (8.0)
$141.00 Justice League of America #75 (7.5)
$561.00 Batman #251 (8.5)
$96.00 Flash #217 (9.2)
$95.00 Batman #253 (9.4)
$24.00 Ghost Tree #1 (9.8)
$33.00 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank #1 (9.8)
$76.00 Naomi #1A (9.8)
$49.00 Naomi #1B (9.8)
$26.00 Naomi #2 (9.8)
$91.00 Heroes In Crisis #1 (9.8) 1:200 Mattina
$71.00 Detective Comics #1000 (9.8) JeeHyung Lee variant
$46.00 Detective Comics #1000 (9.8) JeeHyung Lee virgin variant
$23.00 Catwoman #7B (9.8)
$79.00 Conan the Barbarian #1 (9.8) 1:200 Sienkiewicz variant
$39.00 Batman #50 (9.8) Mattina color splash variant
$77.00 Venom #3 (9.8)
$26.00 Immortal Hulk #20 (9.8) "secret" variant
$73.00 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #95A (9.8)
$71.00 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #95B (9.8)
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I bid on one of your books but winning it was not to be.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
May I ask what the expected value range was for the G.A. Flash? $194 seems awfully low, even with restoration.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

Heh, yeah. I like to think, not a COMMON book. But I guess that's the trouble with GA ... the rarity negatively affects the popularity. Hard to collect something that almost never is available.

Well ... it could be, all the bidders are just in it to mark it, and will save their big guns until the final minutes.

Copies are for sale on eg eBay but just not selling at the price requested
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
May I ask what the expected value range was for the G.A. Flash? $194 seems awfully low, even with restoration.

Well, it's hard to determine. I thought it would go for $400 and was worth $500 to $600. Overstreet, which is pretty conservative by nature, puts 6.0 at $387 and 8.0 at $826, which would make a 7.0 at least $650.

Conservation shouldn't have hurt it, but it may have. Conservation isn't considered restoration, and is usually not considered as something that hides flaws, like color touch or trimming would. (Though it may do ... I don't know enough about it). It's just a bit of tape or glue somewhere on the comic, and can pretty easily be removed. If I had known about it, I would have had it removed myself. But once I got it back from CGC that way, I didn't really think it was a big deal.

Anyway, I don't know where poka saw other copies of #41 for sale, but eBay recently sold a 9.0 copy of #31 - with Hawkman on the cover, like mine - for over $1700. There were a few "best offer accepted" sales, too. A Flash Comics #3 2.5 CGC, Flash Comics #49 3.0 CGC, and a Flash Comics #47 CGC 3.5 all sold for between $240 and $555.

So yeah, whomever won this auction got an awesome deal on a GA book.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid my mistake - mistook the #41 for a #16
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So yeah, whomever won this auction got an awesome deal on a GA book

I always wonder what it would have gone for if there had been a shill bidder working against the eventual winner. Not that I'm advocating for shill bidding but I've been realizing in the last few years that the second place bidder is the most valuable part of the process and is under-appreciated by sellers and auction sites. I've been thinking that auction prices could be driven up on places like Ebay by having a rewards program that goes to Second-place bidders rather than actual auction winners. Or some rewards program for early bidding. I would be interested to see the results of a test offering a 5% discount if your winning bid was submitted more than 24 hours before the close of the auction. I bet final values would be higher and the 5% discount would rarely have to be paid out.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
So yeah, whomever won this auction got an awesome deal on a GA book

I always wonder what it would have gone for if there had been a shill bidder working against the eventual winner. Not that I'm advocating for shill bidding but I've been realizing in the last few years that the second place bidder is the most valuable part of the process and is under-appreciated by sellers and auction sites. I've been thinking that auction prices could be driven up on places like Ebay by having a rewards program that goes to Second-place bidders rather than actual auction winners. Or some rewards program for early bidding. I would be interested to see the results of a test offering a 5% discount if your winning bid was submitted more than 24 hours before the close of the auction. I bet final values would be higher and the 5% discount would rarely have to be paid out.

I like the idea of encouraging earlier bidding. But I don't think the second-place rewards thing would be such a good idea. It seems like that would institutionalize shill bidding?

My first big (ish) auction, I had a contest here, and tried to get people just to bid at least once on each comic. The idea was ... well, I thought it'd be fun to have a contest. But I also wanted to get bids in early, get the numbers up a bit. I thought people would want to be in the contest but not necessarily win the comics, and the way to do that is to bid early, so someone else will eventually outbid you.

I think it worked well, but not many people participated. I thought there would be more. I considered having a contest at the start of this thread, but no one expressed any interest, so I didn't mess with it.

Having done this a few times, I think now October is maybe a bad time to have an auction, and January might be a good time to have one? But the data is very noisy, so it's hard to tell. I did see an ASM #129 go for about $2600 today. Six months ago that comic was selling for $3600, so I bet that seller is disappointed.

While this particular comic, the Flash Comics #41, went too low, which is a shame, I've also had comics go too high. If you just have two bidders fighting it out, it can get pretty crazy sometimes. And FOMO can really drive some high bids. I told a story some weeks ago here, about selling The Walking Dead #192 (Death of Rick) for $225, the highest so far on MCS. That, and the related auction (final: $219) drove a LOT of people to send copies in to sell at auction, and they've had them in there ever since. Some recent prices: $51, $48, $19, $31, $46.
Post 20 IP   flag post
597875 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?