Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Todd McFarlane10191

Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
I’ve been saying they can’t tell a real one from a fake Stan Lee so this is no surprise to me. Not even real ink. Lol

i see what you are saying

now we wait for a Stan Lee solvent dna ink to get verified
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I’ve been saying they can’t tell a real one from a fake Stan Lee so this is no surprise to me. Not even real ink. Lol

I agree with you on the ink but again seems that you have still not understood that a sig which does not pass verification does not mean it is fake. Just that it cannot be verified. That includes pretty much all Stan Lee’s sigs for the last year before he died.
Post 152 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
after this i will never buy a cbcs red label, period.

If i submit a book for a red label it will be for my PC but i'll stick to yellow if i buy signatures

Even though you just saw how easy it is to open a CBCS case?

all my yellows are cgc
all my red cbcs labels are books i have seen signed in person

I know for certain that green label Stan Lee signatures were acquired, cracked out, and resubmitted with witnessed Stan Lee signatures in order to get yellow labels. If it could happen with Stan, I wonder what other yellow labels used to sitting in green ones?
how did you come by this information?

I'm old in this hobby. I've been around. I have friends in low places.
Post 153 IP   flag post
@BrashSmurf not an assumption
Post 154 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I think @Bronte is on the right track. I work for a contract manufacturer of medical devices; metal and plastic that goes into the body permanently. Heavily FDA regulated with every process detailed, evaluated for risk, and validated. Even in this industry, mistakes happen, sometimes big mistakes. As seen by the daytime lawyer ads asking if you or a loved one had a certain implant.

Is the ink verified as live as part of the VSP process? It probably is, but my book obviously wasn’t. Someone didn’t follow procedure is my guess, and a major error happened and got through QC.
Post 155 IP   flag post

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I think @Bronte is on the right track. I work for a contract manufacturer of medical devices; metal and plastic that goes into the body permanently. Heavily FDA regulated with every process detailed, evaluated for risk, and validated. Even in this industry, mistakes happen, sometimes big mistakes. As seen by the daytime lawyer ads asking if you or a loved one had a certain implant.

Is the ink verified as live as part of the VSP process? It probably is, but my book obviously wasn’t. Someone didn’t follow procedure is my guess, and a major error happened and got through QC.

That's exactly what happened I would bet. I would also bet that the QC regarding verified signatures is checking the label to make sure its red and has the right name on it. Once the sig is verified I'd say that's it, its verified, no further checking.
Post 156 IP   flag post
Actually, the verification problem is a Beckett issue, not a CBCS issue. It gets muddled since Beckett now own CBCS.
Post 157 IP   flag post

Post 158 IP   flag post
Quote:
Actually, the verification problem is a Beckett issue, not a CBCS issue. It gets muddled since Beckett now own CBCS.

Disagree. It is a CBCS issue. Just because you outsource / sub-contract a service does not mean that you are not accountable.
Post 159 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@poka If this comes back as "no". I will be shocked.
Post 160 IP   flag post

Post 161 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

I agree with you on the ink but again seems that you have still not understood that a sig which does not pass verification does not mean it is fake. Just that it cannot be
verified. That includes pretty much all Stan Lee’s sigs for the last year before he died.

I do understand but why charge $25 if they can’t verify a Stan Lee signature that’s legit. Mine was from 2012 I think I’d have to look to make sure. So really any year they can’t verify. I would be happy only on Stan Lee’s autograph you would be charged only if it passes and if it don’t then don’t get charged since it changes so much and they have a hard time verifying it.
Post 162 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you on the ink but again seems that you have still not understood that a sig which does not pass verification does not mean it is fake. Just that it cannot be
verified. That includes pretty much all Stan Lee’s sigs for the last year before he died.

I do understand but why charge $25 if they can’t verify a Stan Lee signature that’s legit. Mine was from 2012 I think I’d have to look to make sure. So really any year they can’t verify. I would be happy only on Stan Lee’s autograph you would be charged only if it passes and if it don’t then don’t get charged since it changes so much and they have a hard time verifying it.

The work is the same regardless whether they can verify or not. Would you rather prefer that pricing was $0 if not verified and $40 if verified?

However, on a side note I do think they should do a statement that they don’t accept Stan Lee sigs for verification for the last 12 months before his death.
Post 163 IP   flag post
what's to stop people from forging a Stan Lee signature and sending in for VSP if there's no monetary charge/consequence for failing?

Also, the identical work goes into a successful verification as a failed verification.
Post 164 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
what's to stop people from forging a Stan Lee signature and sending in for VSP if there's no monetary charge/consequence for failing?

Also, the identical work goes into a successful verification as a failed verification.
This isn't factually correct.
Some signatures are easily verifiable simply by glancing at a comparable example, or as easily noticeable as unverifiable clearly and obviously. In fact most that fail are visually identifiable at the first step of the process, visual examination and comparison. And there the process often ends for a signature that fails verification because it quite obviously isn't close.There can be a variety of reasons, from the persons signature changing over time to outright fakery, but the final result is that it fails at the first step. This first step is similar to a screen in that visually an expert can often detect if a signature is a likely pass or fail.
If the signature is still not verifiable, and there remains some doubt more involved processes are used.....i.e and according to BAS own home page...Our experts analyze the ink, structure of the autograph and, when necessary, reference our database of exemplars to make a side-by-side comparison of the signature. If a signature requires us to take a deeper look, we have state of the art tools like a Pro-Scope or VSC machine at our disposal.

The obvious then is that while many failures appear in the first stage, often elaborate steps are taken to clearly verify a signature that might be questionable.
Post 165 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Poor mistake ...

I disagree with those that think it's ok to pass through QC if it's only occasional ..

A major point of service is to accurately represent the condition of a book to take guesswork out of purchasing .. putting wrong label or identifying a signature incorrectly is not acceptable especially if want to maintain trust in said service and the brand in general
Post 166 IP   flag post
@Wraith I don't think anyone is saying this is OK or acceptable. VSP (and witnessed sig for that matter) are not perfect sciences or processes. Unless you thought this was a 100% accurate process every single time, then this is just an example of an error. It's not acceptable, but to most, its expected...as it's an example of a mistake that we know happen. There is a margin of error in everything.
Post 167 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Disagree. It is a CBCS issue. Just because you outsource / sub-contract a service does not mean that you are not accountable.

The problem itself is with Beckett but CBCS has to wear it for sure.
Post 168 IP   flag post
Well, given Darryl's response of a labeling error, then maybe the fault does lie with CBCS instead of Beckett. The bigger picture now is how CBCS responds to the the error as opposed to the error itself. Shit happens. It's all about how you clean it up.
Post 169 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Did you end up paying more for the comic because of verification?
Post 170 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777

Yeah by a lot
Post 171 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, this is terrible, to get a comic with red label it is expensive, its close no an $100 investment.
Post 172 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777

Yeah by a lot

Sorry to hear, definitely looks worse on CBCS part because they should of known that wasn’t a live signature
Post 173 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
General forum question, is there no CBCS employees that monitor this forum? Do we know if anyone on their customer service team has been made aware of this issue? The lack of official statement or even a “we are investigating the issue” is very concerning to me.

I understand running a business is difficult but seems like a no brainer here.
Post 174 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
With all these gimmicks and such with comics over the years, shouldn't there be some kind of accessible info to which each grader can refer?
They get a comic in front of them, type in the title, issue, etc., and up pops the information that says this book has simulated cover wear (creases, chips, tears), that book has 2 covers by design, these books are known to have a wide spread defect (printing crease), and those books have printed sigs on the splash.
Whatever it takes to achieve a 0 defect product, assuming they strive for that.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I had a bet with someone about how long until Zombie_head showed up to complain about his failed Stan Lee...it lasted WAY longer than I thought, but he didn't disappoint.
Post 176 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
I had a bet with someone about how long until Zombie_head showed up to complain about his failed Stan Lee...it lasted WAY longer than I thought, but he didn't disappoint.

I hope you won next time bet on me again and I won’t disappoint again. It’s like money in the bank until they fix the issue.
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
As far as VSP goes, you pay a fee for a service, to see if we can verify a signature. If we can, you will get a VSP label but fail or pass the charge is the same as the same services were performed.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65

I hope you won next time bet on me again and I won’t disappoint again. It’s like money in the bank until they fix the issue.

@etapi65 @Zombie_Head LOL, you guys crack me up
Post 179 IP   flag post
Update: Jake at CBCS has responded to my call for help, and has talked to Mr. Borock about it, who is looking into it.
Post 180 IP   flag post
601516 190 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?