Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Todd McFarlane10191

Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh I am very happy someone from this forum bought it at least! That way an innocent collector didn’t get scammed. I’m hoping you get that unicorn! But good call to film yourself opening it. CBCS should still offer a refund if it is just the printed signature. It would simply be the right thing to do.

Looking forward to seeing the video!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Hope you do get the only signed thx out there sticking your neck out like that .
Post 52 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Every possible outcome to this case cracking will be interesting. This is much of my reasoning for buying it. I’m honestly rooting for CBCS here. A majority of my owned slabs are CBCS, including a VSP book. I’m surprised CBCS didn’t buy it as mentioned earlier. They must be confident.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I’m surprised CBCS didn’t buy it

never knew CBCS would buy people's books..
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Man, this is the most exciting thread ever, on the forums...the big reveal could be pay per view.
Post 55 IP   flag post

On the side noticed those thx prices are on the up...raws selling for over $200 USD

It is an awesome cover though .. ( chromium chains .... mmmmmmm ) I'm not into signatures usually , but a signature in this book feels right .. shame todd doesn't sign them.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Let us know what the tracking number is so we can incessantly hound you for the video once it’s delivered. 😁
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Let us know what the tracking number is so we can incessantly hound you for the video once it’s delivered. 😁

or we just show up at the residence and pay like $5 Admission and be in the audience and see it live.. He can like 1HR to crack the slab and then another 1HR to remove and then final 1HR show off the book and host a brief Q/A.. 😁 😁
Post 58 IP   flag post
@Joosh you may want to contact cbcs ahead of the unveiling if your intention is to get them to compensate you in any way if an error was made. They may have an opinion on how to proceed that may change your course of action.

Just saying.
Post 59 IP   flag post
@Drogio personally if i purchased would never crack it open, love the factor of being only 1 even if CBCS may have had a error.
I wonder if they keep like pictures of signature books on file, like where the signature was and what it looks like so they could always refer back to it if needed?
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I believe once you crack the slab you terminate the authentication regardless if you do it on cam, with a circus full of monkeys or while juggling three bowls of goldfish....
The argument would be of course, what if the books were swapped while freeze framed or etc.
I would think you need an authorized witness or someone that can verify nothing was swapped, altered or redone.
My guess is by buying and opening it you resolve the entire issue by simple voiding any form of verification made.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town or livestream it! (Yes of course that could be faked too but not as easily)
Post 62 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’m making this up as I go; I had the money in PayPal from selling stuff, and I blew it all on this book out of curiosity. Live stream sounds fun, just gotta figure out the best platform.
@CBCS has my name, number, and address. I welcome any correspondence.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Well, I still haven't found where Todd himself said that he would not sign it. Perhaps he just won't sign it at a CGC signing. Maybe he will sign it at one of his public signings. Maybe he has changed his policy. I checked the graders notes and the signature was verified by Beckett. I'm not sure what to say about it other than I doubt they verified a preprinted signature.

Late on this, but I know this is one of the books he will not sign along with the Venom 1 (both b&w and color) that has his venom being used as the cover.

Only reason I know about these (3) books is from waiting in line at NYCC for his free signing. The guy that would check our books had listed those specific books as books Todd would not sign.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
I bought it. I’m putting a lot of faith in CBCS here. I plan to crack it open in front of a camera. Worst case I end up having overpaid for a book I wanted. Best case I get a unicorn.

I like your style.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @Hcanes!! That at least answers my question if he has the same restrictions at his public signings. Unfortunately, I just don't see how this book would get through to Todd to sign. Then, once he sees it, he has to not recognize it for what it is. Not many books, if any, have his signature printed on the back of the front cover.

I'm leaning more and more to this being a BAS screwup followed up by a CBCS oversight. If it isn't, this is going to be an unicorn with glitter and rainbows kind of thing. The odds of Todd signing this book by accident, with all the precautions and checks he has in place, is astronomical.

I can see someone submitting it, not being aware of the restriction. You have to be very active in the slabbing or signature community to know about the restrictions. But for even Todd to not recognize it before he signs it, is mind boggling!!!
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
I’m making this up as I go; I had the money in PayPal from selling stuff, and I blew it all on this book out of curiosity. Live stream sounds fun, just gotta figure out the best platform.
@CBCS has my name, number, and address. I welcome any correspondence.

Just make sure you post the live link we’ll ahead of time here or in a new thread so we can plan around the event and make some 🍿!!
Post 67 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Did the seller ever explain if it's on the inside cover, what color the signature is, etc.? Also CBCS labels indicate the location of the signature when it's not visible on the outside covers. The lack of info on this label already shows a mistake in the process let alone the possibility that there is no signature.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks @Hcanes!! That at least answers my question if he has the same restrictions at his public signings. Unfortunately, I just don't see how this book would get through to Todd to sign. Then, once he sees it, he has to not recognize it for what it is. Not many books, if any, have his signature printed on the back of the front cover.

I'm leaning more and more to this being a BAS screwup followed up by a CBCS oversight. If it isn't, this is going to be an unicorn with glitter and rainbows kind of thing. The odds of Todd signing this book by accident, with all the precautions and checks he has in place, is astronomical.

I can see someone submitting it, not being aware of the restriction. You have to be very active in the slabbing or signature community to know about the restrictions. But for even Todd to not recognize it before he signs it, is mind boggling!!!

This whole case is interesting. This could be in my head, but I thought he did an artifact or oversized print edition of Spawn a year or so back and all the interior pages were signed like the Thank You comic. However, a few were hand signed to make the book more "exclusive". Maybe he did this for these Thank You comics. I am not sure, but nonetheless I am part of this audience now to see what is really up with this specific book.
Post 69 IP   flag post
I wasn't completely crazy, it was a sketch he randomly inserted into a few of his Vault Editions:

https://aeindex.org/reviews/spawn-vault-edition-ii/
Post 70 IP   flag post
I plan to notify all on this thread well ahead of starting a live stream.
I didn’t correspond with the seller; I just bought it. Rash decisions are fun.
@Jesse_O you just explained a lot of what went through my head, pretty much spot on.

I’ve got shipping info, so it appears the book is on its way. Expected delivery Oct 23, which will also be my son’s 1st B-day! Not bad considering it’s going from SoCal to MI.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I bought it. I’m putting a lot of faith in CBCS here. I plan to crack it open in front of a camera. Worst case I end up having overpaid for a book I wanted. Best case I get a unicorn.

I definitely need a link when the video goes up
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Did the seller ever explain if it's on the inside cover, what color the signature is, etc.? Also CBCS labels indicate the location of the signature when it's not visible on the outside covers. The lack of info on this label already shows a mistake in the process let alone the possibility that there is no signature.
seller never responded to me
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
Quote:
Well, I still haven't found where Todd himself said that he would not sign it. Perhaps he just won't sign it at a CGC signing. Maybe he will sign it at one of his public signings. Maybe he has changed his policy. I checked the graders notes and the signature was verified by Beckett. I'm not sure what to say about it other than I doubt they verified a preprinted signature.

Late on this, but I know this is one of the books he will not sign along with the Venom 1 (both b&w and color) that has his venom being used as the cover.

Only reason I know about these (3) books is from waiting in line at NYCC for his free signing. The guy that would check our books had listed those specific books as books Todd would not sign.

When I met him this NYCC for the Gold Cover down in Hall 1C nobody was checking books, then again we didn't expect him to show up and sign for us.
I have read for his Private Signing doesn't allow the 3 books either.
Post 74 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@joosh be sure to message the seller with a link to your stream as well. I bet he'd enjoy it .
Post 75 IP   flag post
Gotta love the community on these boards sometimes
Post 76 IP   flag post
The book has arrived safely! And ahead of schedule, to boot!
I am still figuring out the livestream stuff but I promise I’ll crack it out live.
Good news right away is that if the “substance” can be dry cleaned off the cover, this book is a 9.8 contender. There’s nothing else for defects.

Does anyone have a recommendation for videos to watch for cracking a CBCS case? This’ll be my first.

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
This should be interesting.
Post 78 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The book has arrived safely! And ahead of schedule, to boot!
I am still figuring out the livestream stuff but I promise I’ll crack it out live.
Good news right away is that if the “substance” can be dry cleaned off the cover, this book is a 9.8 contender. There’s nothing else for defects.

Does anyone have a recommendation for videos to watch for cracking a CBCS case? This’ll be my first.

I don’t know about a video @Joosh but I watched it done once by a cbcs rep Cody Lockwood. He had a set of pliers that was as wide as the tabs on the top of the case and basically prayed them off. He also used a box cutter to then open the Mylar liner. Last thing he recommended was to slide a board in to take the book out, apparently the Mylar has been known to cut books if not taken out slowly. I swear he did it in less than five minutes and made it look easy but a razor blade was a quarter inch away from a book. 😟😵. If no one finds that vid for you hit up Cody at Lockwoods loot on Facebook, he’ll be more than happy to help out.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Just watched this, he made it look easy.
https://youtu.be/J66Mw_p-kq0
Post 80 IP   flag post
601329 190 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?