Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Todd McFarlane10191

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
If the printed signature was the sig that was verified... well that is pretty ridiculous..however, I have seen this several times before.. There is a Peanuts collection book entitled, "The art of Charles M Schulz" that has a photostat (printed) signature and sketch on the first page. I have seen quite a few of these books sell as "with original sketch, signed, includes C.O.A" You'd be surprised at the company's that authentic photostat signatures. I would often ask the sellers, How did Mr. Schulz sign and sketch your book when it was published in October of 2001, When he passed on February 2000? With all of the technology used to verify pen-strokes, etc you think an Authentication company would be able to tell ink from print.

When I see stuff like this I remind myself that (in this case, IF) Beckett was the one that did the verification, not CBCS. Unfortunately, CBCS's name is on the label.

Post 27 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Well I’ve said it before verified autographs are not reliable. Can’t tell real Stan Lee autographs from fake and if this is true then they can’t tell real ink from printed ink.

I also asked about the autograph and here is his response.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I have a McFarlane that I know is signed and this is preventing me from getting it verified

I never plan on selling it. I'll just keep it bagged and in a top loader
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@BrashSmurf you should send your photo above to his hotmail and ask if that's the same signature. I assumed the first page of a comic is the first page of the story, not the interior of the front cover.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@BrashSmurf you should send your photo above to his hotmail and ask if that's the same signature. I assumed the first page of a comic is the first page of the story, not the interior of the front cover.

I sent this message. I am bothered by the inside misspelling.

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
He just got back to me and said he signed it on the first page. Meaning CBCS verified a photographed signature 🤦🏻‍♂️
maybe can ask to clarify that by first page he means over the black and white image of spawn ? And ask what colour pen he used .

If there is a signature there, that book would be as rare as hens teeth. But I still suspect he means the inside cover.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@BrashSmurf thanks for doing that, no need to have several people messaging him.
Post 33 IP   flag post
No replies yet. Hopefully tomorrow
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
This is why I am glad my signed book from Todd has the old red webbing he used on the back cover to authenticate early signatures he did , often apparently when he owned his own comic book store. It isn't as new a book as this one, but it validates itself.
Post 35 IP   flag post
It has almost been 24 hours since I emailed him

I am really thinking cbcs verified the printed sig and the seller is benefitting from it
Post 36 IP   flag post
If so CBCS should try to get that book back, you don't want that eyesore out in the wild.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
It has almost been 24 hours since I emailed him

I am really thinking cbcs verified the printed sig and the seller is benefitting from it

Trying to, anyway.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I wonder how many cbcs have authenticated?

It's also not good they didn't record in the grading notes where the signature is IMO

Mess up all round

First downgrading 'defects' that were actually the cover art , now authenticating signatures that were part of the print ... as said , to be fair , the signature does look really legit in person , but even I as a non professional know that it is printed in every book courtesy of a bit of research and then looking more carefully.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
mistakes happen on both sides. here it is CGC which potentially missed a cut coupon and gave a blue label. more important is how the companies deal with mistakes.

Post 40 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@poka Exactly!!!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Actually, if you look at the CGC private signings with McFarlane, you will see a note similar to this: "Please note that Todd will not sign the following books: Venom #1 Retailer Variant, Venom #6 Variant cover and the Spawn Thank you cover."

I remember when the Thank You comic came out. Todd said that he would not sign it at that time. I've tried finding where he said that, but I've not been able to yet. His signature is printed in the comic.

I believe the reason had something to do with the fact that these were sent free to the retailers.

https://www.facebook.com/krscomics1/posts/june-2018-todd-mcfarlane-private-signing-itll-sneak-up-behind-you-faster-than-yo/1624018840998585/

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/428692-todd-mcfarlane-signing-books-due-51/

Is this what you are talking about?
Post 42 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@BrashSmurf Yeah, those are the typical notices from the facilitators.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Just because others do it , doesn't make it acceptable .. the whole concept of this process is it is the last word in accurately evaluating a comic condition so people can make informed decisions off that - often from afar.

Really dumb errors like this are totally unacceptable and could be readily avoided with quality control.

Remember people buy and sell based on what is written on those labels because they are there to bring added security to that process.

And unfortunately for cbcs , as the newer kid on the block that still isn't equally accepted , they need to be BETTER than across the road ..
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
I really hope CBCS buys this book so they can resolve this issue/get to the bottom of this. $300 seems like a no brainer from a PR point of view. Either they messed up and verified a printed signature, $300 takes their mistake off the market OR (and this seems unlikely) the book is signed and that $300 becomes a very very good deal for the only signed copy of this book!

Edit:
Hell I’d even front the initial purchase, if CBCS would offer to reimburse me if it turns out to be just the printed signature.
Post 45 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I bought it. I’m putting a lot of faith in CBCS here. I plan to crack it open in front of a camera. Worst case I end up having overpaid for a book I wanted. Best case I get a unicorn.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector hitmantyler private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh and I am sure you can always resubmit back for VSP too if turns out to be that unicorn.
I am thinking what if person just went over the printed signature in sharpie or whatever and they think that was legit?
Post 47 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantyler
@Joosh and I am sure you can always resubmit back for VSP too if turns out to be that unicorn.
I am thinking what if person just went over the printed signature in sharpie or whatever and they think that was legit?

Assuming it’s a legit signature, I’ll definitely resubmit to CBCS for sig verification.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@Joosh as I would do the same, Congrats to you! Cannot wait for the video!
Post 49 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I bought it. I’m putting a lot of faith in CBCS here.

Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh I am very happy someone from this forum bought it at least! That way an innocent collector didn’t get scammed. I’m hoping you get that unicorn! But good call to film yourself opening it. CBCS should still offer a refund if it is just the printed signature. It would simply be the right thing to do.

Looking forward to seeing the video!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Hope you do get the only signed thx out there sticking your neck out like that .
Post 52 IP   flag post
Every possible outcome to this case cracking will be interesting. This is much of my reasoning for buying it. I’m honestly rooting for CBCS here. A majority of my owned slabs are CBCS, including a VSP book. I’m surprised CBCS didn’t buy it as mentioned earlier. They must be confident.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I’m surprised CBCS didn’t buy it

never knew CBCS would buy people's books..
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Man, this is the most exciting thread ever, on the forums...the big reveal could be pay per view.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601280 190 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?