Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Todd McFarlane10191

I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Is it true Todd McFarlane won’t sign the Spawn Thank you book?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I would be surprised if that were the case, Todd has always been the perfewct gentleman about signing things and taking care of fans...but who knows, perhaps hes taking a page from the guy who doesn't draw feet
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly the opposite, he will be happy to sign your Spawn book.

Todd is doing more shows than ever this year to promote Spawn # 300.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Actually, if you look at the CGC private signings with McFarlane, you will see a note similar to this: "Please note that Todd will not sign the following books: Venom #1 Retailer Variant, Venom #6 Variant cover and the Spawn Thank you cover."

I remember when the Thank You comic came out. Todd said that he would not sign it at that time. I've tried finding where he said that, but I've not been able to yet. His signature is printed in the comic.

I believe the reason had something to do with the fact that these were sent free to the retailers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Do a search .. will never ever find a ss of this book anywhere except for those not signed by todd .. I don't think he even signs unwitnessed

This is one book of mine i actually like the idea of having signed on the back cover .. oh well .
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Do a search .. will never ever find a ss of this book anywhere except for those not signed by todd .. I don't think he even signs unwitnessed

This is one book of mine i actually like the idea of having signed on the back cover .. oh well .

Yeah, I probably didn't make that clear. Those three books are books that Todd will not sign, ever. The CGC signings are just stating the rules that Todd has in place.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Actually, if you look at the CGC private signings with McFarlane, you will see a note similar to this: "Please note that Todd will not sign the following books: Venom #1 Retailer Variant, Venom #6 Variant cover and the Spawn Thank you cover."

I remember when the Thank You comic came out. Todd said that he would not sign it at that time. I've tried finding where he said that, but I've not been able to yet. His signature is printed in the comic.

I believe the reason had something to do with the fact that these were sent free to the retailers.

The venom 1 he won’t sign is it the green cover or the white cover or both?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Quote:

The venom 1 he won’t sign is it the green cover or the white cover or both?

I'm fairly certain it is both.
Post 8 IP   flag post
So ... this has appeared on eBay

Verified signed mcfarlane thanks edition

I can't seem to read the graders notes on the website.. there's no signature visible on front or back ..

I really hope cbcs hasn't identified the printed signature on the inside cover as an authenticated sig

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/233357280168?ul_ref=https%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F0%252F0%252F0%253Fmpre%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fulk%25252Fitm%25252F233357280168%2526rvr_id%253D0%2526rvr_ts%253Dcdc32cac16d0ad319b66890cffee9c68
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Doesn't the label usually list that the signature is on the inside interior of a specific page if it's not visible on the cover?

I found this example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Man-1-Aug-1990-Marvel-SIGNED-Todd-McFarlane-VERIFIED-CBCS-9-6/283637141390?epid=85425772&hash=item420a174f8e:g:FbEAAOSw-l9cvTYs
Post 10 IP   flag post
Well, I still haven't found where Todd himself said that he would not sign it. Perhaps he just won't sign it at a CGC signing. Maybe he will sign it at one of his public signings. Maybe he has changed his policy. I checked the graders notes and the signature was verified by Beckett. I'm not sure what to say about it other than I doubt they verified a preprinted signature.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Well, I still haven't found where Todd himself said that he would not sign it. Perhaps he just won't sign it at a CGC signing. Maybe he will sign it at one of his public signings. Maybe he has changed his policy. I checked the graders notes and the signature was verified by Beckett. I'm not sure what to say about it other than I doubt they verified a preprinted signature.
did it say location of the sig ? I read somewhere he doesn't sign them period and has a sign saying so for his lines at non witnessed events
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I messaged the seller pretending to be interested in purchasing. I asked for info on the location of the signature and if there's photos of it pre-grade.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Wraith it says nothing about the sig location in the grader's notes.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@flanders please let us know what he replies!!

@Wraith like flanders said, there is no location stated in the graders notes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The sig on the inside cover is pretty deceptive in that regard. It really looks like it could be drawn in pen , but then you compare to photos of other books and they are all the same ..

But damn ... I hope that's not what has been authenticated ...
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
The sig on the inside cover is pretty deceptive in that regard. It really looks like it could be drawn in pen , but then you compare to photos of other books and they are all the same ..

But damn ... I hope that's not what has been authenticated ...

Well if so at least it passed, right?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I messaged the seller pretending to be interested in purchasing. I asked for info on the location of the signature and if there's photos of it pre-grade.

Thomas is the seller’s name
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks for the info. I read a few other posts about it and it seems as if some people believe that every issue was personally signed by McFarlane. I'm sure whoever sent it in to be verified is unaware that it's printed if Beckett did in fact authenticate a printed signature. Seems hard to believe seeing as how they have decades of experience.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user

I really hope this is not the signature that got verified. It will be a bad look on cbcs since its printed in every issue
Post 20 IP   flag post
Maybe the seller will respond by the time I wake up around 2pm.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Maybe the seller will respond by the time I wake up around 2pm.

He is west coast
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I asked him as well. Guess we’ll see what they say.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
He just got back to me and said he signed it on the first page. Meaning CBCS verified a photographed signature 🤦🏻‍♂️
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
I hope for CBCS’s sake this is somehow not true (maybe Todd actually signed it on the first page in addition to the printed signature?). It would be great if the seller provided a photo of the first page.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
If the printed signature was the sig that was verified... well that is pretty ridiculous..however, I have seen this several times before.. There is a Peanuts collection book entitled, "The art of Charles M Schulz" that has a photostat (printed) signature and sketch on the first page. I have seen quite a few of these books sell as "with original sketch, signed, includes C.O.A" You'd be surprised at the company's that authentic photostat signatures. I would often ask the sellers, How did Mr. Schulz sign and sketch your book when it was published in October of 2001, When he passed on February 2000? With all of the technology used to verify pen-strokes, etc you think an Authentication company would be able to tell ink from print.

When I see stuff like this I remind myself that (in this case, IF) Beckett was the one that did the verification, not CBCS. Unfortunately, CBCS's name is on the label.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Well I’ve said it before verified autographs are not reliable. Can’t tell real Stan Lee autographs from fake and if this is true then they can’t tell real ink from printed ink.

I also asked about the autograph and here is his response.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I have a McFarlane that I know is signed and this is preventing me from getting it verified

I never plan on selling it. I'll just keep it bagged and in a top loader
Post 29 IP   flag post
@BrashSmurf you should send your photo above to his hotmail and ask if that's the same signature. I assumed the first page of a comic is the first page of the story, not the interior of the front cover.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598030 190 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?