CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

If you were introducing comics to someone for the first time...10160

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Which story would show them?

Which cover?

Which artist?

Let's assume you only have one chance to get them hooked, so bring your best sales pitch.

I think I'd go with Dark Phoenix storyline for the story.

Cover would be Amazing Fantasy #15

And Artist...I think because I'm a Bronze ager, I'd go with Byrne.

What do you guys think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I think it would depend a lot on the person; what kind of stories and themes appeal to them, what kind of art, etc in determining what would be most effective to introduce them to comics
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I think it would depend a lot on the person; what kind of stories and themes appeal to them, what kind of art, etc in determining what would be most effective to introduce them to comics

Good point, but for this let's just assume it's a perfect stranger.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't push comics on strangers.
Went to high school with a girl who discovered the script and was a producer on the movie Collateral. I thought about sending her a Harbinger TPB because she's from Tucker GA where the story takes place.

I guess my answer would be:

1) Harbinger: Children of the Eighth Day (TPB)

2) Cover - Harbinger #4

3) Artist - David Lapham

I only say that because... I don't push comics on strangers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Jack Kirby....1st 100 issues of FF and his Fourth World Epic (New Gods, Forever People, Mr. Miracle, Jommy Olsen).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
I generally gauge if they show interest or enjoy the Marvel or DC movies. Generally, if they greatly enjoy the movies, I simply encourage them to check out the comics/graphic novels that they were basically based on and tell them that most movies tend to have an even far more interesting story behind it left out. Everyone should read Watchman or The Infinity Gauntlet. End Game is #1 for a reason. People saw it because they care about the characters, not because of the movies various flaws. Anytime you bring up Batman or Spiderman, most people recognize them and can relate in some way with them. There are some that simply can't relate because of personality flaws keeping them from accessing their imaginations. Comics, mainstream or independent, are great stories with visual aid to reference.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Miracleman by Alan Moore. Excellent story.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector kadargo27 private msg quote post Address this user
I would introduce them to all of the Jeph Loeb and Tim Sales collaborations. Both D.C. and Marvel all of their stories together are fantastic. Probably the best duo in comics in the past 20 years hands down for me I own all in hardcovers
Post 8 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I've gotten 4-5 people into comics with Kingdom Come. Depending on the person, Preacher TPB, or Watchmen would also be great. sequential art would have to be some of the 4th world Kirby stuff (though I still think the black racer is ridiculous). Cover-wise, I think Infantino/Giella Batman work or Wrightson's Swamp Thing covers are amazing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb

I was thinking about the first at least 15 or so issues of the Morrison/Porter JLA, I loved what they did with those heroes, especially Steel.
Post 11 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Story: Batman: The Long Halloween
Cover: Kingdom Come #4
Artist: Neal Adams
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
This. The great thing about comics is that there are so many different genres represented that there is bound to be something a new comic reader will like. What appeals to me, is different that what will appeal to someone else.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector chirock private msg quote post Address this user
Are you an adult? Here's Killing Joke.
Are you a child? Look at all these inexpensive, fun books from Alterna like Mr Bones or Eden.
Avoid anything from Marvel or DC made from 2015 on. It's overpriced and mostly likely made by people that hate you.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have only ever done it one way, a long or short box of coverless comics, generally Golden to Bronze, given as a gift. Don’t know if it ever got anybody hooked though
Post 15 IP   flag post
600858 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?