Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

TWO-FISTED TALES #251016

Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I recently won at an auction from mycomicbook.com "TWO-FISTED TALES #25" and saw that it was published in Canada. Is this a reprint and if it is, when was it printed and how much is it worth? This is my first EC comic and I'm disappointed. Any information on this would be helpful.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
According to GCD, this book was not reprinted until 1977. Pretty sure yours is the real deal.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's uncommon for comics to be printed in Canada.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's uncommon for comics to be printed in Canada.

He said published, not printed.
I think most of the marvel stuff from the early 90s was published in the U.S. but printed in Canada.
I know many of mine from that era were.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Offbeat_Archives private msg quote post Address this user
Do you have a scan? If it is a Canadian edition there are definitely a few that would love it. Does it have the "Superior" logo with a maple leaf on the cover? Paging Tim B...

Edit: Then again, I can't remember if Superior put their logo on Cdn ECs.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Next private msg quote post Address this user
If it's this one it's looks like an original to me. A crappy Canadian reprint (they are printed on toilet paper) has more tells on the cover that this book does not have. Congrats!

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=36812327
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next
If it's this one it's looks like an original to me. A crappy Canadian reprint (they are printed on toilet paper) has more tells on the cover that this book does not have. Congrats!

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=36812327

That is the auction I won. I checked ebay and found only American copies. "Jan Feb." dates under the "No. 25" "CDL" under the "ES" in "TALES" and the most compelling evidence is on the inside cover it says "Printed in Canada".
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector InfiniteTrouble private msg quote post Address this user
Oooh boy, that CDL on the cover is hard to see and not the one they normally put on there. I'd say it's a Canadian reprint, yes.

Reference: http://www.comics.org/series/13852/
Post 7 IP   flag post
This is how I'm used to seeing them ,and as was mentioned they usually have a maple leaf.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Maple leafs.

Post 9 IP   flag post
@InfiniteTrouble Thanks for the confirmation on the maple leaf ECs. I couldn't remember if ECs actually had them or if I had (another) brain-fart.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Yeah, they are tricky sometimes, If you don't look closely you can make an embarrassing mistake and tell someone they are originals

Here's where you can compare the two versions.

http://www.comics.org/publisher/223/
Post 11 IP   flag post
I love some of the Canadian stuff that derived from U.S. comics. Somewhere around here I have what started out as an Atlas romance and up North it became, "Moonlight Romances". That along with the fact that the print runs were miniscule, and survival rate low, they are fun to ferret out.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offbeat_Archives
Do you have a scan? If it is a Canadian edition there are definitely a few that would love it. Does it have the "Superior" logo with a maple leaf on the cover? Paging Tim B...

Edit: Then again, I can't remember if Superior put their logo on Cdn ECs.

I wasn't able to upload a scan.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteTrouble
Yeah, they are tricky sometimes, If you don't look closely you can make an embarrassing mistake and tell someone they are originals

I had a feeling you'd be of assistance
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Did you just out Stu's new name?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector vaultkeeper private msg quote post Address this user
My understanding is that the EC's could not be printed in the US and then shipped to Canada for distribution. After the US print run was done, the plates were shipped to Canada for a second print run for distribution in Canada.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Quote:

Actually this account was already wiped when I replied, but I know he'll see the post LOL
Post 17 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually this account was already wiped when I replied, but I know he'll see the post LOL

Of that, we have little doubt.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaultkeeper
My understanding is that the EC's could not be printed in the US and then shipped to Canada for distribution. After the US print run was done, the plates were shipped to Canada for a second print run for distribution in Canada.

Yes, there were all sorts of laws in place that prevented US copies from being brought in and sold across the border. I am not sure when the laws changed but they were instituted during WWII. These laws were the how the "Canadian Whites" came into being. After a few years the rules were softened and they allowed the American plates across so that the books were printed in Canada with Canadian ads.

BTW they were not printed on toilet paper but the print stock was not as good as the American stock. However the US stock was not that great in the US either. DC's, EC's, and Atlas used really acidic stock that degraded very easily if not stored properly. The biggest issue wasn't the paper stock though it was that the printing quality, or at least quality control, was not very good. You can find many copies out there with really poor register.

Another issue, at least with DC books, the content of the issues could be completely different from the American issues. While I am not sure about the hero books I know that this happened with Funny Animal books.

It is true that there were not large numbers of these printed and even if there were the surviving copies are few. So, if you don't want anything to do with this book I would gladly take it off your hands. (I actually used to own a copy of this very issue (CDL).

Oh and the CDL on this book is not out of the norm. I have seen it like that before. It was more often by the price or publisher icon though.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Oxbladder Bringing on the knowledge. Great post.

BTW, on the subject of lousy paper stock we can add Fiction House, and Fox to that list. Victor Fox was so damn cheap that he even resorted to buying pink, or blue, paper to print on. Crazy, but it makes for some cool books.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Yup private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of that, we have little doubt.

It's not like you have to be signed in to read the board
Post 21 IP   flag post
Well, I just got back back from the STOCKTON CON in Stockton, California and it's not a reprint but it was printed in Canada and worth about 60% of the real one. :-(

So thank you everybody for all you help and insight on my question.
Post 22 IP   flag post
No worries, Rafel. That "60%" bit is not etched in stone. There are quite a few Canadian/Foreign collectors that might just happen to really need that particular copy. I have always had great luck in getting Canadian comics to happy new homes.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector nanook private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Rafel I will gladly purchase the 2 fisted tales from you if you don't want it
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offbeat_Archives
No worries, Rafel. That "60%" bit is not etched in stone. There are quite a few Canadian/Foreign collectors that might just happen to really need that particular copy. I have always had great luck in getting Canadian comics to happy new homes.

Ya like to my home
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Nanook It was you that I had in mind when I wrote that. Lol
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
Hi Rafel I will gladly purchase the 2 fisted tales from you if you don't want it

Nanook, Thank you for the offer but I'm going to keep it for now. I do want to get the American copy, have them both graded and add them to my collection.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook

Nanook, Thank you for the offer but I'm going to keep it for now. I do want to get the American copy, have them both graded and add them to my collection.
Hey Rafel if you change your mind let me know I am 4 issues away from having the entire run in Canadian editions and thats one of the 4 I am missing
Post 28 IP   flag post
600441 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?