Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and Conservation

Got Restos?10121

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Since I am completely blind to restoration, I've ended up with a few over the years...even some so blatant it was caught by PGX. Books I've bought on Ebay or in person, X-men 2, Hulk 181, Hulk 180, Strange Tales 135 9.2 (cover trimmed). I've typically tried to cut my losses and sell them quickly like I was allergic to them or something. I'm starting to rethink that, thinking maybe I should consider buying the restored comics for my personal collection at a significant discount from regular price. What do I really care, they are slabbed and I just like owning them, why should it matter to me if they were restored? Anyway, I've you've got pictures of slabbed restorations or stories of how you got them, post them here. (maybe if I look at enough I can figure out how to spot restoration).
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller I have one restored raw book in my collection. I knew it was restored going in. But I've wanted a golden age Cap comic since I was knee high to a grasshopper!! When everything lined up in the cosmos and I was I was able to buy one, I searched all over for the right one. It came down to a heavily discounted restored or a beaten up untouched issue. Since it was for my own collection, I went restored and I'm happy that I did. I'll probably get it graded at some point just so my kids can sell it with full disclosure to the buyer. It has slight color touch and tape. There may be more, but that is what I remember from the description.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I have two special ones. They are the top 2 graded on the CGC census. 1936, 1st Superman tryout prototype in color and in costume (Dr. Occult). Siegel and Shuster stories and art. The CGC 8.5 is FROM THE COLLECTION OF RUBEN BLADES (W/COA). Although restored, these are 2 of my favorites

Post 3 IP   flag post
Who wouldn't want a Superman #4?

Post 4 IP   flag post
I heard a stat once that something like 25% of Golden Age comics graded by CGC had resoration. Can anyone corroborate that?
Post 5 IP   flag post
There's a dealer out of San Diego who goes to the shows. Kind of general collectibles wheeler dealer. Has all kinds of crazy stories, in fact I was there when an AF 15 disappeared from his booth at a convention. He would get super cheap collection buys from shady characters. Uses PGX heavily to get his books graded. It didn't really dawn on me at the time what was implied when you got super cheap buys from shady characters. And that's how I ended up with a copy of Hulk 181 that came back Restored 5.0. Of course I went back months later and convinced him to take the book and give me a credit for the $200 I paid. Wish I hadn't done that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Only one I have. The dealer I bought it from explicitly said there was no restoration. Thinking of getting it removed.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller I agree with your sentiment. Although I do not currently own any restored books, I would totally by one that was slabbed and at a good rate. I think the stigma comes from the deception aspect of restoration. My self and many others have been burned buy sellers who cover up, deny, or are otherwise not forthcoming about restoration, so they can maximize their profit. If a restoration has been done well, is identified and documented. I would be ok with buying the book for my own PC.
The one time tried to does this though was with a raw Detective Comics #400 where the seller only stated minor cover color touch, which I could observe. After submitting to CBCS, it turns out that the book was held together by tape and glue. It was a huge fiasco to try and recoup my money. For this reason I would only by a restored comic if it was graded and the restoration accurately documented. Best of look.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers @EbaySeller See what happened to CatCovers is where restoration gets the bad name. The seller used restoration as a means of deception. Restoration books should come with a detailed description of what was done to the book, but you never hear of this. It’s always “there was minor restoration done, but betcha can find it.” That's a cheaters game. Books that have been restored should come with a certificate of authenticity which list the restorer, credentials, what was done, where and when. Just my thoughts though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblebeast315
See what happened to CatCovers is where restoration gets the bad name. The seller used restoration as a means of deception

I question if the color touch on a Batman 42 5.0 even improved the grade. My guess would be that someone used a pen on the book many many years ago before restoration was even a thing. I also wonder if the dealer even knew it was there. I wish they would change the guidelines on amatuer ink touch-up, just note it as a flaw and grade accordingly. It really isn't restoration in the professional sense of the word. I was doing it when I was 12 years old, not thinking of it as anything other than making my books look nicer. Now it's like a sin.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
There's a dealer out of San Diego who goes to the shows. Kind of general collectibles wheeler dealer. Has all kinds of crazy stories, in fact I was there when an AF 15 disappeared from his booth at a convention. He would get super cheap collection buys from shady characters. Uses PGX heavily to get his books graded. It didn't really dawn on me at the time what was implied when you got super cheap buys from shady characters. And that's how I ended up with a copy of Hulk 181 that came back Restored 5.0. Of course I went back months later and convinced him to take the book and give me a credit for the $200 I paid. Wish I hadn't done that.
im familiar with Angelo, he loves his pgx books
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
im familiar with Angelo, he loves his pgx books

After the restored Hulk 181 I realized he was getting his books from completely un-unreliable sources, people who lie, cheat and steal on a daily basis to make their money.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I think a lot depends on your goal with the comic..if it is just to enjoy for yourself, why not? But if you hope to maximize your investment long term , best to find a copy that is untouched …..

I always liked the cover of the original Justice League #16 but there are like 140 copies in the cgc census and around 30 at or above 9.0 so the book doesn't surface very often in higher grades due to the colors and age of the book.....I noticed MCS offering a VG+ copy for like 56 dollars, but in a previous auction I won a slab for all of 41.00 because....restoration...c1, minor color touch to cover, on a 7.0 copy with purple label. Without holding the book I would almost guarantee the color touch is small black spotting around the staples to hide spine ticks......

A raw untouched in VG+ for 56.00 dollars, or a slabbed 7.0 c1 restoration purple label for 41.00

I think I will actually enjoy the purple colored label and never even think twice....
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town If a guy has to have a purple label, having a book with purple in the cover actually makes it look good. That looks pretty sharp like that.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
My first purple label was on a JLA # 40 that I bought from my LCS. Since I got the book at a reasonable price I was still able to make a small profit after selling the book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@Darkseid_of_town If a guy has to have a purple label, having a book with purple in the cover actually makes it look good. That looks pretty sharp like that.
You know I saw that too...its almost like the purple from the cover runs right up into the slab label....it works
Post 16 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

couple of restored books I own, bought them back in the 80's so I have next to nothing invested. Didn't know the were restored until I received them back from CBCS. The 115, thought about having the color touch removed but too many other books I want to get is more of a priority
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
bought mad #14 VF 8.0 from escapist comics on ebay for $300, waited about two years before sending it in for grading, came back as 7.0 restored, escapist said too bad for me, sold it for about 70 bucks
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
bought mad #14 VF 8.0 from escapist comics on ebay for $300, waited about two years before sending it in for grading, came back as 7.0 restored, escapist said too bad for me, sold it for about 70 bucks

been there done that...sucks when that happens.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I've got a green label FF#48. It is missing a page. I knew it when I made the purchase. Does that count or are we only chatting about restored books?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user

Only restored book I own. Bought it at a show a 3-4 years ago, was too happy with the price I was paying to bother looking at the label 😂😂😂
That’s when I learned you need to really pay attention to CBCS labels. Still was happy to have the book anyways for what I paid(especially considering it’s price now).
Post 21 IP   flag post

Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post

Post 24 IP   flag post

Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post
In the early 2000's I didn't really have a lot of play money to spend on my collection so I didn't mind too much purchasing the restored books. Also 15-20 years ago I don't think there was as much of stigma on the restored books. Hell, I just liked being able to get some of them. Thank you internet!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
Have some. They're all books I had pro restored back in the early 90s when I was young and dumb. Anyway, here's a few:

Post 30 IP   flag post
601536 52 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?