Got Restos?10121

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post
In the early 2000's I didn't really have a lot of play money to spend on my collection so I didn't mind too much purchasing the restored books. Also 15-20 years ago I don't think there was as much of stigma on the restored books. Hell, I just liked being able to get some of them. Thank you internet!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
Have some. They're all books I had pro restored back in the early 90s when I was young and dumb. Anyway, here's a few:

Post 30 IP   flag post

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
how'd you get Universal label on Spidey 13?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
if you look closely they list the resto under it. It's confusing for sure. I think with the Spidey specific labels this is how they're doing it. I've seen it on someone else's book done this way as well.
Post 32 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItClunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
if you look closely they list the resto under it. It's confusing for sure. I think with the Spidey specific labels this is how they're doing it. I've seen it on someone else's book done this way as well.

I do see the notation referring to the restoration but I thought the label would be purple....gotta be because of the character graphic. but it still says Universal up top...that should read Restored atleast I would think. thanks!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I do see the notation referring to the restoration but I thought the label would be purple....gotta be because of the character graphic. but it still says Universal up top...that should read Restored atleast I would think. thanks!
agreed. Don't know why they settled on this as a compromise.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

agreed. Don't know why they settled on this as a compromise.

Regardless, fantastic books!!!
Post 35 IP   flag post
I guess they're still tweaking the way they treat them. Here is the latest.

Post 36 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I purchased a lot of the 1960’s Marvel and DC back issues in my collection at comic book shows and through the mail back in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. I never even thought about restoration back then. I slowly stopped buying/collecting by the later part of the 1980’s and pretty much didn’t buy anything past 1991/1992 or so. Then I stopped completely and “forgot” about comics for over 20 years. But I couldn’t stay away forever, and nearly 5 years ago I attended a comic convention and jumped right back in.
Since then, I have submitted over 200 books to CBCS for grading, and have purchased or traded for other slabs (I have numerous CGC slabs, and one of that other brand).
But back to restoration, I included a mixture of SA and BA books in my first submission to CBCS. I was shocked when my Iron Man #8 came back with Restored/Amateur Color Touch, and disappointed that not only did someone dishonestly sell me a restored book all those years ago, but that I also never even noticed it. I turned around and sold that slab for less than it cost me to have it graded.
I later found out that two of my early X-Men were trimmed. I still have those slabs, as shown here. Now when I look at X-Men comics from that era that I want to submit for grading, I wonder if the edges are too straight? And every time I submit a SA book that I am not the original owner of, I wonder if CBCS will find other surprises (and not good ones) that I didn’t realize were there.

Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I need to send this one to CGC then! It is a "conserved" copy that had some glue tapped on it to improve the covers structural integrity.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Approximately 95% on my collection is unrestored, but as a GA collector, the acquisition of books with some degree of restoration increases as difficulty locating high grade copies with the universal designation goes up.

Unfortunately, restoration tends to get a bad rap in general because less significant resto gets lumped together with more obvious, egregious types.

IMO, restored grades are too rigidly defined for minor issues that don’t impact the eye appeal or overall condition of the book. That said, this is how it’s been since third-party grading dramatically changed the collecting hobby twenty years ago.

One day, perhaps the Conservation designation will thread this needle between restored and universal, but the jury’s still out on that one.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'm curious if theres any other collectible hobby where restoration is not so frowned upon. Old cars are certainly restored and I believe its considered very acceptable (not 100% sure tho) if not even highly desired. I've seen shows on A&E where people restore all kinds of things for what appears to be an increased resale value. Comics, not so much tho.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Don't usually post books & labels (because of a Draconian policy about posting CBCS grade books on the CGC boards), but for this thread, it's almost a prerequisite. Here's one of my restored treasures and follow-ups...

Post 41 IP   flag post
And another...

Post 42 IP   flag post
More...

Post 43 IP   flag post
This is one of my favorites (really sick cover)...

Post 44 IP   flag post
And here's a Torch/Subby battle issue for good measure...

Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I'm curious if theres any other collectible hobby where restoration is not so frowned upon. Old cars are certainly restored and I believe its considered very acceptable (not 100% sure tho) if not even highly desired. I've seen shows on A&E where people restore all kinds of things for what appears to be an increased resale value. Comics, not so much tho.

I don't know if art is a good comparison because they are one of a kind pieces. The Mona Lisa has been restored/preserved something like 5 times. I do think restored books do get a raw deal in their value. Comes down to the personal choice in their acquisition. I for one like them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to obtain some of the books in my collection because of the prices of unrestored copies. Now that I'm more financially able to afford unrestored books, I can replace them at some point if I want.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not the first to say this, but I think a large share of the issue lies with the fact that we as a collecting community don't have a solid answer for what is and isn't "acceptable" restoration.

Speaking for myself, having the cover cleaned (beyond simple dry cleaning) doesn't bother me. I can live with a little bit of color touch just fine. In fact, I think minor color touch should be treated like an arrival stamp - no impact on the grading unless the book is otherwise in truly exceptional condition. When you start talking about pieces added to the cover, that's something I have a hard time accepting, and would only consider doing so for a key book I couldn't otherwise touch.

Eventually, there may be enough consensus to move the goalposts one way or the other on what sort of restoration is acceptable (CGC sorta does this with their "blue with notes" label), but I don't think it'll be anytime very soon.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Brings up another point. I've seen some color touch removal that looks like someone took a pocket knife and scraped the shi*t out of it and then call it good. That's just wrong.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Brings up another point. I've seen some color touch removal that looks like someone took a pocket knife and scraped the shi*t out of it and then call it good. That's just wrong.

I've seen that as well...looks awful when removed...so much so that I prefer restored over restoration removed.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
I'm not the first to say this, but I think a large share of the issue lies with the fact that we as a collecting community don't have a solid answer for what is and isn't "acceptable" restoration.

Speaking for myself, having the cover cleaned (beyond simple dry cleaning) doesn't bother me. I can live with a little bit of color touch just fine. In fact, I think minor color touch should be treated like an arrival stamp - no impact on the grading unless the book is otherwise in truly exceptional condition. When you start talking about pieces added to the cover, that's something I have a hard time accepting, and would only consider doing so for a key book I couldn't otherwise touch.

Eventually, there may be enough consensus to move the goalposts one way or the other on what sort of restoration is acceptable (CGC sorta does this with their "blue with notes" label), but I don't think it'll be anytime very soon.

very good points.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Another add to the earlier restored list...

Post 51 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user

Normally, I don't have a problem with restoration. A little CT? Who cares? But there is a line that I prefer not to cross. That ST 114 crosses that line.
Post 52 IP   flag post
601384 52 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?