Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and Conservation

Is this Comic Restored?1012

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I recently bought a high value comic. I just went through it and to me it seems that the staples have been replaced (believe I can spot small amount of rust in the centerfold where the staples are but no rust on the staples).

Wish a second opinion as leaning towards returning the Comic.

Thoughts?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, looks like they've definitely been replaced.
The staple holes have been elongated by the process as well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Is that a fantastic four comic
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Is that a fantastic four comic

Well spotted. FF48

Tks curmudgeon - that's what I thought
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely replaced staples. Without question.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Yep, looks like they've definitely been replaced.
The staple holes have been elongated by the process as well.

This
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Compared to my copy, I'd say you have a problem:

Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, those staples have either been replaced or removed, cleaned and put back in. I would lean toward replaced as it seems the gage of the staples in the book now look to be thinner than what they should be, but without seeing the book in hand, that might be a stretch for me to call from the images alone. Also the pattern of the rust stains on the paper don't seem to match the current position of the staples.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@poka Yep, whether cleaned/replaced and/or a married wrap, those staples look like they were opened.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Offbeat_Archives private msg quote post Address this user
You came to the right place. Nice catch. The guys are right. Definitely replaced, and not even a half-assed job. How do they look from the outside?
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I have a similar question. I recently bought an Avengers 3. I noticed it had staples through the front cover and made my offer appropriately so I'm not looking to return the book, just trying to figure out what's going on.

You can see the staples just to the left of the price and just above the Hulk's pantline. I figured I'd just remove them if they were extra staples but looking at the spine, I can't seem to find the original staples or the previous staple holes but there's plenty of spine wear so I may have missed it. I can't get a look at the centerfold because of the placement of the staples so I wanted to ask if you guys could take a look and maybe spot something I missed.

And here's another copy I got today with a detached front cover and missing back covwr but correct staples
Post 11 IP   flag post
Don't remove them. From the pics they just look off-center. Usually when someone adds extra staples with a stapler after the fact they go all the way through to the back and you can not open it up to the middle of the centerfold. The fact that yiu can is a good sign in itself. Nice looking copy, especially if you got a bargain due to the staple placement.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Offbeat_Archives Thanks, I thought they were just off-center but I didn't want to get my hopes up. Plus, I actually can't see the centerfold because of the staples (I haven't checked in a few days so I could be mistaken) so I'm not entirely sure what to think.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Oops, my bad. If you can not get to the middle of the centerfold then that's not a good sign. Hope it does work out to your benefit either way!
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite here's my Avengers #3 with similar staples. However, I can see them from the centerfold.

Post 15 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
It's been stated in another thread, but some books were double-stapled by the printer. Every once in a while, a book would go through the stapling process and come out stapled, but with no cover. So they would put it through the process again. I think my X-Men #29 is an example of this. You judge from the scans.

Only two staples show from the outside front cover.

Inside you can see another set of staples.

Here's what the middle looks like.

Post 16 IP   flag post
@esaravo @Offbeat_Archives Thanks guys! I do have a few books with the second set of staples. This is just a weird case cuz I can't find the staples along the spine or evidence that the cover was detached and the staples on the front were used to reattach it. I'll take a closer look when I get home. In the meantime, I'm spending a day at the races

Post 17 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Comic collectors leave the house? When did that become an acceptable practice?
Post 18 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offbeat_Archives
@dielinfinite Oops, my bad. If you can not get to the middle of the centerfold then that's not a good sign. Hope it does work out to your benefit either way!
pm'ed
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
You came to the right place. Nice catch. The guys are right. Definitely replaced, and not even a half-assed job. How do they look from the outside?

Like this
Post 20 IP   flag post
It's been 30 years since I studied resto with Bill Sarrill and one of the first things he drilled into my brain was correct staple replacement. Haven't even practiced in decades but that, especially the centerfold, looks like someone could have done quite a bit better a job at aligning those.
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@dielinfinite Comic collectors leave the house? When did that become an acceptable practice?

It isn't an accepted practice, @dielinfinite will be dealt with accordingly
Post 22 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Ya gotta admit, dielinfinite is dabbling in uncharted territory. I hope he had the foresight to leave a trail of bread crumbs.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Offbeat_Archives hey, when the food and drinks are on the host I think any comic collector might be tempted to venture out into the realm the sky ball

Anyways, it does look like I just hadn't examined it very well the first time around. I was able to find the centerfold and the staples look good. They're just off-center
Post 24 IP   flag post
I did find the staples on my other copy have been opened

Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Like this

Hmmmm, the more I look at this, there is most certainly something not right with the top staple. The gage of the wire looks thinner than the one on the bottom. It could very well be the bottom staple is original and it's just the top staple that's been replaced. Can you obviously tell if that top staple is thinner than the bottom one with the book in hand?
Post 26 IP   flag post
@poka Thanks for the extra pics. I'm with the rest, something just ain't right.Nothing catastrophic but someone that wasn't very adept either cleaned, or swapped the staples.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite free food and drink? I can see why you decided to venture out beyond reach of your collection. Hope ya had a great jaunt!

And great news on your book!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Like this

Hmmmm, the more I look at this, there is most certainly something not right with the top staple. The gage of the wire looks thinner than the one on the bottom. It could very well be the bottom staple is original and it's just the top staple that's been replaced. Can you obviously tell if that top staple is thinner than the bottom one with the book in hand?

No noticeable difference
Post 29 IP   flag post
596791 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?