Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Introducing myself. Could you introduce CBCS1006

Collector EddiePaxil private msg quote post Address this user
I am new to the boards here and to having my comics graded and slabbed frankly. So I thought I'd introduce myself, and combine that introduction with a call to have you guys tell me what I should expect as a CBCS customer.

I am a 39yo manager at a Dunkin' Donuts. I am also a college sophomore studying sports management, with an eye (my only one I might add) on a career in baseball.

I collected comics throughout my youth, but always had a special place in my heart for the Jade Giant himself, The Incredible Hulk. I got away from collecting as I pursued a struggling career in music through my 20s. At the urging of my wife who always saw me eyeing comics at stores and the internet, I called my mom to get my collection from her and start up again. My mom had, "lost," my comics. That was code for she sold them all. So I had to start from scratch.

Now we live cheap and know how to budget ourselves quite well. However, a fast food worker and a mailroom lead can't afford to take on the massive undertaking of collecting everything cool they can get their hands on. So I made the decision to only collect Hulks. I started by trying to replace what had been "lost." Issues 300-400 roughly of the 1968-1999 run. It's been under a year and I shattered that goal thanks to the internet. I now have most of the run from 102-474 including 297-474 straight. Condition varies, but I'm not looking to ever sell them so I'm more concerned with having them. What next? I've expanded my goal. I want to one day own every comic the Hulk has ever appeared in. And so I've begun the process. That leads me to how I came here.

I saw the comic book men episode where the guys recommend a young man get his dad's books graded. That peaked my interest as I had seen slabbed books in my travels around Ebay & Facebook. So I researched the topic very carefully. I learned that I could turn this "hobby" into an investment for my wife and I with a little effort.

So I began researching the companies that graded and slabbed. Most people don't know much about CBCS and because of that swear by CGC. Which is fine, CGC has earned their reputation and standing in the business. But I noticed every argument for CGC went back to that, reputation and standing. Every argument for CBCS was, fair pricing, accessibility, customer service, transparency, etc. In the last month the wife and I decided to invest in harder to acquire stuff. So we talked about both getting our keys at least and these harder ones graded, and possibly getting already graded ones too.

In the last week I joined both this site and the CGC site. I began looking at what it might cost to get my keys graded and slabbed. I began looking at eBay items that were graded and slabbed by both CGC and CBCS. I noticed something very interesting in my welcome messages from both companies. CBCS welcomed me by telling me everything I could do with my free account, detailing how much access I had already. CGC's welcome message told me all about what I could have if I paid $39.

While I was doing this I fell in love with a slabbed comic on eBay and it's price. It was a CGC 4.5 Avengers 5. (Hulk's in it.) I came very close to buying it, but fell asleep and it ended while i slept. (I work overnight.) I messaged the seller and asked if he was resisting it and he said he would. I would have loved to verify and see the grader notes on the comic, but of course, I have to pay that pesky $39. As fate would have it. I was searching for something on eBay, frankly I don't remember what. While in that search I came upon the same issue graded by CBCS a 5.5, and costing less. Now because of my welcome email from CBCS I knew I could use the ID # to verify it and see the grader's notes for free. So I messaged the seller and did that. Long story short I now own my oldest appearance of the Hulk in Avengers #5, and I must say there was peace of mind associated with the grading and research I was able to do.

The last thing I did is I went to my 5 favorite sellers to ask them about their opinions on the grading companies. To my shock and awe 4 of the 5 said go with CBCS. The fifth is my local store who offers grading through CGC, so maybe some bias.

With that story told, my point is that my research, personal experience, and instincts have already led me to choose CBCS for all my coming grading and slabbing needs. You guys don't have to sell me on it over CGC. All I want to know is what should I expect from the company as a customer that I might not already know from experienced customers? To the admins what plans are in the works I might not know about? Anything about what I'm going to experience as a CBCS member and customer would be helpful. Also should I pay the $100 for the next tier? Keep in mind I only collect one character. Also I'll be going to the NJ comic expo specifically because Peter David will be there. Would love to use CBCS's signature witnessing service, what can I expect there? I also have an unwitnessed Peter David signature, and would like to get it verified. Anyone done this?

Looking forward to being part of this community. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Oh my first slabbed comic, Avengers 5 posting the pic.I haven't even received it yet.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oooo cool cover! Hello, welcome to the forums. That was a nice introductory letter if I do say so myself. YOU'RE HIRED!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Over half of my books are red label VSP comics so I have yet to get my back myself. They scan the signatures through a computerized database and have experts look at them. It's consider "good as witnessed" in many eyes, myself included. I actually jumped solely from raw only books to now started grading signed books because of CBCS's VSP. It's second to none. It's the only way to go if you don't have any witnessed books besides yourself witnessing them. I prefer to get all my signed books in person so I know for sure they are real. CBCS helps me tell the world the same. Welcome!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum! :-)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
Yea man welcome! folks are pretty cool here, you'll dig.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jmck965 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice book! Welcome!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@EddiePaxil, A very fine welcome to the CBCS world! Great introduction!
What you will find with CBCS is amazing customer service with immediate help, regular updates on turnaround times, complete transparency in everything they do, great pricing on all levels of service, and in there forum, Open, honest and frank discussion about all things comic book related. There is very little bashing of other companies, this company stands on its own reputation and pricing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
@EddiePaxil welcome to the forum. I people you will find in these forums are sone of the best and knowledgeable people when it comes to collecting. As for CBCS, the staff and organization has commited it self in producing the best product in protecting and providing a fair grade in the books that are being submitted. I my self is new to slabbing and i have enjoyed the forums and the service of CBCS, and i think you will also.
Post 8 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome aboard.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Ram_Jam private msg quote post Address this user
Here's one that actually relates to Superman.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
@EddiePaxil - Welcome sir!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
oooo cool cover! Hello, welcome to the forums. That was a nice introductory letter if I do say so myself. YOU'RE HIRED!

Of course it's cool it's Kirby, and I might need the second job with what I'm spending on Hulks. lol

Quote:
I actually jumped solely from raw only books to now started grading signed books because of CBCS's VSP. It's second to none. It's the only way to go if you don't have any witnessed books besides yourself witnessing them. I prefer to get all my signed books in person so I know for sure they are real. CBCS helps me tell the world the same. Welcome!

This is good to know, and thanks for the welcome.

@rickdod3 @infinityG @jmck965 thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
A very fine welcome to the CBCS world! Great introduction!

Thanks so much, and for the feedback.

Quote:
There is very little bashing of other companies, this company stands on its own reputation and pricing.

And let me add I hope part of my story didn't come across that way. My mother was a single parent and had to be frugal. She always taught me to beware of someone telling you what you had to pay before they tell you what they're going to do for you. That was more the point.

@DertyComix Thanks for the welcome.

@earthshaker01 That's a beautiful Superman right there.

@Ram_Jam For me that's an even more beautiful Superman because Mr. Green himself is involved.

@Mr_adam_R Thank you.
Post 12 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddiePaxil
Quote:

Of course it's cool it's Kirby, and I might need the second job with what I'm spending on Hulks. lol

Quote:
I actually jumped solely from raw only books to now started grading signed books because of CBCS's VSP. It's second to none. It's the only way to go if you don't have any witnessed books besides yourself witnessing them. I prefer to get all my signed books in person so I know for sure they are real. CBCS helps me tell the world the same. Welcome!

This is good to know, and thanks for the welcome.

@rickdod3 @infinityG @jmck965 thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
A very fine welcome to the CBCS world! Great introduction!

Thanks so much, and for the feedback.

Quote:
There is very little bashing of other companies, this company stands on its own reputation and pricing.

And let me add I hope part of my story didn't come across that way. My mother was a single parent and had to be frugal. She always taught me to beware of someone telling you what you had to pay before they tell you what they're going to do for you. That was more the point.

@DertyComix Thanks for the welcome.

@earthshaker01 That's a beautiful Superman right there.

@Ram_Jam For me that's an even more beautiful Superman because Mr. Green himself is involved.

@Mr_adam_R Thank you.
Post 13 IP   flag post
If you check around the forums you see.some of the best books around. I am sure there are hulk 181's floating around in here for you to look at as well.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
If you check around the forums you see.some of the best books around. I am sure there are hulk 181's floating around in here for you to look at as well.

Funny you bring that one up. We may be investing in that one within a month or so, if we can find the right price.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@EddiePaxil that will be one of my next purchases my local shop has 2 of them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy yourself.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@DertyComix Yeah it's a gaping hole in what I've got, and a daunting one, but we also feel it's a good investment.

@VaComicsGuy Thanks
Post 18 IP   flag post
@EddiePaxil i also beleive it is a good investment, not only that it is a unicorn for some people.
Post 19 IP   flag post
There are plenty out there take time to search for the best deal. No rush. I think cgc has graded like over 7000 of them last I checked. What grade are you looking for.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@EddiePaxil Welcome!! I am not a CBCS employee, but I am a mod here (obviously). Great to have you here. I just wanted to let you know that there are going to be changes concerning CBCS ... well, the forum anyway . The forum will be redesigned to be more user friendly. As a mod, I am not privy to the inner workings at CBCS, but I have watched and interacted with them since they were a month or two old. Through it all, I've learned that CBCS is a trustworthy and transparent company. I trust that when they say they are working on something, they are working on it. It may take time, but it WILL get done!! If I can be of any help, feel free to pm me.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
@EddiePaxil
Welcome to the CBCS boards!
It's a bit difficult to use for some of us, but they're working on that. It needs sub forums.

It seems you did some of the same research I did when I was looking to get some of my books graded, and came to the same conclusion.

Congrats on that nice looking book!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I really enjoyed reading Peter David's run on Hulk. Future Imperfect was great. I tried to figure out all the stuff in the trophy room, but there were a few that had me scratching my head.

WTTB & cool book.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@EddiePaxil That's a nice looking 5.5
Always nice to 'meet' a fellow SA Avengers fan
Post 24 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@EddiePaxil - great intro, Eddie. Welcome to the slabbing community. I too was away from collecting for many years and came back. Having lots of comics, I also researched different grading companies. After meeting with CBCS personnel at a convention, I could see that they love comics as much as I do. I felt comfortable entrusting some of my comics to them, even though they told me it would be almost six months before I would see them again. Well the wait was murder, but I liked what came back and continue to use them. I even purchased the Bronze membership. And even though the forums are a little difficult to use, I have already made several new great friends who share the same love and obsession with comics. If I can be of any help to you, feel free to PM me.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
I really enjoyed reading Peter David's run on Hulk. Future Imperfect was great. I tried to figure out all the stuff in the trophy room, but there were a few that had me scratching my head.

WTTB & cool book.

You gave me a reason to post these. Thanks.

Both signed by Peter David and George Perez.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
I want to add my welcome towards you. You sound like a true comics fan and that is always a plus. I feel that the other respondents to your initial post have covered just about all the positives in using CBCS, however, I will add that I feel CBCS is the start of the new face of comics grading and that you are joining at a time when the company in general is sorting out all of the kinks in the organisation. This is a splendid time to jump on board and you can do so with the confidence in all aspects of what they offer.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome. As someone who has used both CBC and CGC many times, I can tell you that you have made the right choice. There were many reasons for choosing CBC but the main reason I submit my books to them is customer service. They have always been nice and friendly to me. I have watched both interact with customers at conventions and CBC is so friendly and helpful. If you get a chance, just stand close to the CGC table and watch how they interact with their customers. You will quickly leave and go to the CBC table.

Another reason are the guys on these forums. They are the nicest, friendliest, helpful guys you ever want to meet. There may be a few sour apples (you know who you are, I am looking at you +++) but the whole bunch are the greatest. Yes, even the sour apples are part of the family.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@roarzola, Great introduction to our great company! 2 thumbs up for including our "sour apples". They may be red headed step children but alas, they're part of the family.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
What a nice intro! You'll find the folks here welcoming and - for the most part - conduct themselves respectfully which is something I like a lot about this forum
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?